It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:44 pm Advanced search

Post Mortem: 2016

Discuss everything about Penn State and college football here.

Post Mortem: 2016

Postby pennst92 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:07 pm

I'm not gonna say a lot. Feel pretty good, well, really good about this season - beat Wisky, Iowa, Ohio State, got a Rose Bowl invite (and who doesn't think we would've played better than the Buckeyes against Clemson?)...grew up as a team...developed YOUNG offensive linemen who will make up the core next year, guys who'll have a shot at playing at least 3 years...

A lot to like about the effort, the coaching staff, the recruiting that's the pipeline to future champions, the depth and experience we bring back next year...gonna be a long 9 months til the season starts!

:mrgreen:
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

Re: Post Mortem: 2016

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:30 pm

We completed a phenomal year considering all the weight on top of the program and recovering far more quickly than anyone could credibly imagine. I thought a 7-5 regular season would be the top for these guys - they thought different, dedicated themselves post UM game to a higher level of game study and unity as a team. They pulled together and it worked beyond my wildest dreams. Should you tell me this story in August I'd have thought you needed cerebral assistance.

I'm thrilled and awaiting the recruting season gains. We are young, loose only a few starters and appear to be nationally recognized as back to the game, a player in the college football news again, for football news that is. I believe recruiting will uptick and the success they had will be there to inspire them to greater heights in the future. There may be setbacks, it happens but we are finally back to the level where we can play anyone and not be blown off the field and score ZERO points like the overated buckeyes.
Carl Spackler

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:54 pm

Nat convinced me. We're going 0 - 12 next year.

I'm just going to assume that and hopefully be pleasantly surprised.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:07 pm

Cut Nat some slack. He's already confessed to being motivated by an adult beverage or two. Or maybe a dozen.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby JerseyLion » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:42 pm

I just saw on GoPSUSports that Sickels has declared for the draft. Bummer...
JerseyLion

Postby SouthernLion » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:23 pm

I think we've got to reach the point of accepting that losing rising seniors to the draft is part of having a great program. Are we there yet? Next year in terms of performance and recruiting season will tell the tale I suppose. Sickles, Allen, even Godwin are all very good players who I'd like to see return, but when we've reached critical mass (maybe now?) it won't hurt nearly as bad as in the past.
SouthernLion

Postby Nat@PSU » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:18 pm

OK, I'll rain on the parade. Name the last time we beat OSU in back to back years? When did we last beat Michigan AND OSU in the same year? Last time we've had back to back league titles?

I'm just saying, this was a special year. The team was fun to watch and the young talent will continue to grow. But special means not that often and to look at next year and assume we will be better (or even as good) might be possible, but certainly isn't likely.
Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this clown.
:May the reign of our Dear Leader be short and inconsequential, much like his fingers."
Nat@PSU

Location: The Dystopia that used to be known as the United States of America

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:49 pm

I actually agree. I just didn't want to pee in the punch bowl.

There are (very) rare programs that have displayed the ability to to reload year after year and remain near the top. But until you actually do that, there's no reason to believe you will.

One big advantage that Penn State does have is stability. If their HC turns out to be the real deal, he's not likely to leave for a better college job. And he doesn't strike me as a guy positioning himself for an NFL job. Most programs don't have that stability.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby gmay10 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:26 am

I am posting this here since it was after the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5QvabDqPH8
Post Rose Bowl news conference. I have to say, I absolutely love how James Franklin loves his kids and knows how to express it! You are with these kids for X amount of time and they become your children in a way. I would do anything in the world for my students!

This is one of my favorite things about JF. The dude cares about what matters in life= education and being a good person! Most of these guys are not going pro so we need to prepare them for life after athlete. I think I just coined a new term
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOGm3gvbCfE
Last edited by gmay10 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby SouthernLion » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:31 am

I don't disagree that being 'elite' year after year is very difficult. Someone here recently (and accurately) posted that we'll never be Alabama. But, we can certainly accomplish what Mich State has for the past decade. We can certainly attain parity w/ UM (who sucked for a decade) and even OSU. There is simply no reason it can't happen. I'm not predicting a long run of double digit win seasons, but the foundation is laid to have a great shot at it. It's all about recruiting and development, and no one can say that those keys aren't present in JF & staff.
SouthernLion

Next

Return to The Locker Room