It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:10 am Advanced search

Emmert Just Emmerted His Pants

Discuss everything about Penn State and college football here.

Emmert Just Emmerted His Pants

Postby reincarnatedlama » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:05 pm

Making America Great Again
reincarnatedlama

Re: Emmert Just Emmerted His Pants

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:13 pm

I love this idea. An NFL minor league is a great solution to a lot of problems. I love everything about it. That it screws Emmert is just gravy on the top.

The one negative comment I have about it is it's commercial viability. I think this makes a lot of sense for the NFL but if they really want it they are probably going to have to help fund it. Otherwise, it is unlikely to succeed. They tried an NFL minor league with NFL Europe and it bombed due to lack of interest. I can see the same thing happening here. But, as a concept, I really like this. And, if it pushes college football back to something far more sane, I am all for it.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby pennst92 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:31 pm

Yeah - I like it too. Agree about viability. Also about quality, at least initially. Is this league going to attract 5* players? Perhaps a couple...but I see it a as a home to a lot of 3* guys who would jump at the chance at OJT for $50k/yr in hope that they'll develop NFL level skills. That'd be like watching PSU c. 2000 & 2001...

That said, there's no way this is sustainable if NFL doesn't subsidize.
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:27 pm

I actually think it wold be more of the 4 and 5 star kids going this route. Kids who think they have a real shot to turn pro and don't want to waste time with college and all the rules they have to follow. I even have a good name for the league: "The South Eastern Conference" or "The SEC". The current SEC won't need the name anymore because this is where a majority of their crop of players would likely end up (although for some it may be a pay cut).
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby reincarnatedlama » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:07 pm

How about every kid with talent who doesn't qualify academically and doesn't want to go JUCO route or sit out a year working on grades he doesn't care about.

So if you don't want to go to class do you get paid nothing and go to class or get paid $50K and just work on getting to the NFL full time. If this proves a viable path to NFL I think we know the answer.

This will force NCAA and member schools to start giving players a more substantial stipend.
Making America Great Again
reincarnatedlama

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:05 pm

This will force NCAA and member schools to start giving players a more substantial stipend.

While I'm in favor of that, what I would not be in favor of is college's starting to compete with this pay league for players. That would be the worst possible outcome. I think the best possible outcome would be the kids that are only interested in football to go to this minor league and take their chances, leave college football to kids who really are there to be student athletes, with the "student" part being a priority. The depleted talent pool should result in less TV money, less corruption, and hopefully eliminate the phenomenon where the highest paid state employee is a football coach.

I realize i'm pinning a lot of hopes and dreams on this one league, but a boy can dream.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:25 am

I think this makes a lot of sense for the NFL but if they really want it they are probably going to have to help fund it. Otherwise, it is unlikely to succeed.

I agree. There was a pretty large semi-pro league on the east coast when I was a kid. I remember my dad taking me to a couple of games. They were pretty entertaining. The league had the support of the NFL for several years, but at some point the NFL pulled out and the league collapsed a couple of years later. I don't recall why the NFL pulled out. Perhaps they didn't feel they were getting sufficient bang for the buck.

Plus, football wasn't anywhere near as over-exposed as it is today with a bazillion games on TV every weekend. So seeing a live semi-pro game was more of an attraction than it would be today.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:10 pm

I'm still in the habit of watching every Steelers game...or at least a part each one...and part of another game of interest. But I'm also at the point where if I never watched another NFL game, it wouldn't matter to me. I could easily walk away. Not there yet with college football, though. Still love it.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Return to The Locker Room