It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 1:03 pm Advanced search

Class of 2018 Recruiting

Discussion about the future of Penn State.

Re: Class of 2018 Recruiting

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:44 am

Scout rates Michael Parsons the second best recruit in class of 2018. http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootba ... rt_m-rpt-2
I hope he honors his committment. Parsons seems like a nice, young man who enjoys the attention he receives, but the pressure to flip will be intense. Some of his recent tweets have a decided Penn State lean while others hint at a possible interest elsewhere...he named his new dog Brutus, for example. I could be reading too much into that, but I don't blame any of these guys for taking all of their visits. They should explore this once-in-lifetime experience to the max, but it's up to JF and company to close the deal.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby srsvii » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:48 am

You are correct in that verbal commitments aren't worth the paper they are not written on.

One thing we do have in our favor is that this staff is relentless in gaining a commitment AND in the effort of keeping the commitment. The do not go into the ignore the recruit after a verbal. The seem to maintain their communication with the commit and include them in all activities of recruiting along with encouraging the commits efforts in self recruiting to the class. There will never be a totally safe verbal no matter the connection to PSU. it must be a frustrating game for the staff.
srsvii

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:08 pm

Agreed Carl. My glass is usually half full, but I don't have a warm and fuzzy about Parsons keeping the commitment. That's not a knock against Parsons; afterall, he's a teenager and an extraordinarily talented one at that. But his talents are being sought by the country's top programs. The massive attention he'll receive in the next ten months will be enough to turn the head of the most grounded, mature teenage athlete.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby srsvii » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:11 pm

Likely depends on how we do this fall. No one really expected our upturn to be so remarkable last fall but it sure did help the recruiting efforts.

I suspect we will be better this fall due to our line improvements, offensively with new, young, strong talent filling in. Should we gel early this could be the group to bring us back. Considering the masking of deficiencies by McSorley's scrambling abilities, Barkley's running and receiving skills their opportunities should only increase this fall. That translates into winning and increasingly better visibility and credibility on the trail of recruits. We are back on the map and in a larger way than we have been for a very long time. Good news!
srsvii

Postby shane » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:41 pm

Nana Asiedu (sp?) a 4 star offensive lineman from Virgina has committed. Once thought a heavy Clemson lean, a trip to PSU earlier this year gave him a change of heart.
shane

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:19 pm

Antwan Reed, a 3 star OT from Michigan, committed today as well. On the flip side, 4 star OT Chris Bleach from Wyoming West decommitted yesterday. Seems to be smitten with Nebraska.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:39 am

Michael Parsons decommitted last night. Don't believe anyone should be surprised by this. Personally, I'm miffed but can't fault a seventeen year old kid for making a decision like that. Given how early in the process he committed and the pressure from other programs, I assumed that he would be a longshot at best. Somehow, the program will go on.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:08 pm

I read a post of his decommitment and he mentions his family in the decision. Pressure from a parent? Who knows. Maybe he wants to take all his trips and discovered he is a rock star for a year. The attention heaped on these young men is difficult to resist as big time coaches are constantly massaging your bum and telling you how great you are, on a daily basis. A teenager has only so much resistance and then it's bar the doors.

He will now open untold pressure and under the table offers to go here or there. I'm glad I'm not his dad since it would be a nightmare until signing day. Have to change you phone number (which I'm in the process of doing actually), booting people off the front lawn (Daisy BB guns, see dad on this option), telling your son to avoid free, encouraged offers of sex with attractive young women. The pressure will build.
Carl Spackler

Postby pennst92 » Wed May 03, 2017 3:01 pm

There's an undercurrent w/ Parsons that speaks to caveat emptor. I don't have a good feeling about him, despite his athleticism. He is, obviously, a very good player.

RE: Bleich, the olineman - CJF turned his departure into the acquisition of two highly rated offensive lineman, so that was a net win for us. Most of the other commits seem firm, and this class still has a chance to be incredibly special.
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Wed May 03, 2017 3:13 pm

Caveat emptor....I had that same feeling when T. Pryor was in play. Very glad he decided to grace tosu with his presence and not our little farm community.
PittGradPSUMad

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting