Since we are a month and a half away from the Class of 2013 signing day, why not start looking ahead?Here
is a list from Lions247 of offers that have gone out to 2014 kids. The list is a bit here and there, as some of those offers went out before the sanctions. As would be expected, several of those kids immediately crossed us off of their lists. Long way to the first Wednesday in February 2014, however, so we'll see.
Here are some early names to remember. Not necessarily kids who are 'leaning' to Penn State (there are really only a couple at this point), but just general names of kids Penn State is looking at. And, being such an early list, the names on such a list will change greatly over time. * denotes an offer.QB:
*Clayton Thorson, 4 star, IL
*DeShone Kizer, 4 star, OH
Andrew Ford, 4 star, PA (Cedar Cliff, same HS as Adam Breneman)RB:
*Mark Allen, 3 star, MD (COMMITTED)
Sterling Dailey, Unranked, VA
J.T. Blyden, 4 star, PAWR:
*Chris Godwin, 4 star, Delaware
*Thaddeus Snodgrass, 4 star, OH
*Cameron Phillips, 4 star, MD
Porter Ontko, Unranked, ILOL:
*Quenton Nelson, 3 star, NJ
Alex Bars, 4 star, TN (brother of current DE Brad Bars)
Michael Grimm, 3 star, PA
Eric Gallo, Unranked, PA
James McHale, Unranked, PADE:
Tyler Burke, 3 star, PA (played LB this season, will likely grow into a DE)DT:
*Andrew Brown, 5 star, VA
*Ricky Walker, 4 star, VA
Connor Morehart, Unranked, PALB:
*Korie Rogers, 4 star, GA
*Troy Reeder, 3 star/4 star, Delaware
Zaire Franklin, Unranked, PADB:
*Montae Nicholson, 4 star, PA
*Troy Vincent, JR, 3 star/4 star, MD
Omar Truitt, 4 star, DC
Felix Manus-Schell, Unranked, PAATH (meaning, RB, WR, DB):
*DeAndre Thompkins, 3 star, NC (WR or DB)
*Nick Scott, Unranked, VA (likely a RB or slot WR)
Myles Autry, 4 star, GA (no idea on position)
Elijah Zeise, 3 star/4 star, PA (no idea on position)
- Only 1 offer out in PA, although that could change soon as the staff was out in force at the state championship games in Hershey this past weekend looking at 2014 kids. For reference, the early 247Sports Top 247 has 8 kids from PA.
- Barring a rash of open season transfers, next year's class will likely not reach 15. The 65 scholarship limit will, well, limit us.
- PA, NY, CT, NJ, DE, DC, MD, and VA hold 35 of the 247Sports Top 247 players. Ohio has 17, Georgia 22, California 25, Texas 28, Florida 31.
- I would imagine that we really aim high for a QB and see if we can land one. As long as Bill O'Brien is our HC, there isn't a QB in the nation who isn't at least going to give us a look.
- RB situation will be interesting. Zwinak and Belton will be seniors when these 2014 kids arrive, and Akeel Lynch will be a sophomore. After missing out on a RB in the 2013 class, do we take two in 2014 (especially since Allen is a smaller back)?
- I'd think we'd be going after a couple of WRs next year. Again, I think our offense helps. Interestingly, no TE offers out yet, and no real TE targets.
- I could see us only taking 1 DE next year, and there isn't a good target yet. On the inside, I think we've got to take at least 2 DTs.
- We already have 3 LBs signed up for 2013, and we are looking at another LB currently committed to Wisconsin. Whether we get a 4th, or end up with 3, I'd think that we only look at 1 LBer next year. Got to think that one of the 2013 kids plays as a true freshman, and the others redshirt.
- Lots of good secondary kids, especially down in the greater DC area. Omar Truitt is a kid who would probably commit on the spot, but the staff is holding off for one reason or another (they may not like his speed).
- If we take 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 DE, 2 DTs, 1 LB, and 3 DBs, that puts us at 11 without even considering the OLine, where we would be crazy to not take at least 2. Perhaps it could work, especially if don't use our last two spots for 2013 and can pull in two kids as early enrollees.