It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:50 am Advanced search

2012-2013 Recruiting

Discussion about the future of Penn State.

Re: 2012-2013 Recruiting

Postby PennState03Chris » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:13 am

Garrett Sickels
Brandon Bell
Brendan Mahon
Curtis Cothran
Andrew Nelson
DaeSean Hamilton
Kasey Gaines
Tanner Hartman

Officially in.

Christian Hackenberg tweeted a photo of him signing his LOI, but it hasn't officially hit the PSU fax machine yet. Zayd Issah tweeted a photo of his LOI, but same deal as Hack. Both should be official shortly.

Parker Cothran and Neiko Robinson are set to sign this afternoon.

Btw, Neiko did an interview with Lions247, and talked about how "money bags" showing up on prospects doorsteps was common down in his area (Alabama/Florida border), and how he didn't want anything to do with that. Thought that was interesting. And, a kid who looks like he'll go to Ole Miss was dumb enough to, after returning from his official visit to Ole Miss, tweet out a photo of himself holding $5-600 in benjamins.
PennState03Chris

Postby PennState03Chris » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:26 am

Parker Cothren and Christian Hackenberg are officially in. Issah tweeted a photo of him hitting "send" on the fax machine, so I'd count him as well. Neiko is the last one, and is scheduled to fax it in this afternoon.

Btw, here is GoPSUsports.com's signing day page, with some short video of everyone from whom they have officially received faxes from.
PennState03Chris

Postby Blue&White » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:40 am

Given all that has gone on, Hackenberg is an amazing get for BO'B and the staff. When you look at what BO'B was able to do for McGloin, I'm really excited about the future with Hackenberg. With Allen Robinson and the multiple TE sets we can run, sanctions or no sanctions, we can field an amazing offense.

Shame we can't stick him on the bench for 3 years so he can properly season (relax, 92, it's a joke).

Anyway, our offense is going to rock! Suck on that, Emmert.

Btw, maybe the reason Hackenberg's letter hasn't hit the fax is because he's not living in 1998. Who faxes? Print, scan, e-mail.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby PennState03Chris » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:54 am

I'd be shocked if Hack didn't redshirt this season. He probably has the biggest upside and best physical tools of any QB in this class, but he's got some work to do in terms of understanding the game and being consistent. In fact, I'd bet that all of the offensive players redshirt this season. On defense, I think all of the DL will redshirt. Issah will redshirt, as he needs to add weight. If they are in a pinch, Bell could play at LB. We'll probably see 1 or 2 DBs on the field, however.

In fact, it leaked somewhere that the original plan was to redshirt this entire class, with the hope that doing so will help to ease the pain on the backend of the sanctions.
PennState03Chris

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:32 pm

I find it remarkable that we did so well while on the "sanctions". Our new staff has infused a new enthusiasm into the program and it has become infectious.

I can't see how they could red shirt the entire class but again I'm not up on what remains and what the strategy happens to be. I know I like it.

O'Brien and staff seem to be everywhere at once visiting recruits, watching games, speaking to groups, etc. Great group and they are tireless.

If we can string another good season onto last year the sanctions will not have killed the program, take that NCAA.
Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914): "An election is nothing more than the advanced auction of stolen goods."
Carl Spackler

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:44 pm

Signing Day is pretty much the only time of year I care about a fax machine anymore. How times have changed.
Shore Lion

Postby JC in Va » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:51 pm

If O'Brien can do this well with the sanctions, how poorly did the previous staff do without them?

Not casting judgement (yet), just asking.
JC in Va

Postby Blue&White » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:59 pm

Chris -- good insight on the possible red shirts. Have to admit, that makes sense. Even if you sacrifice this year it's worth it.

JC - Joe and co. did pretty well recruiting kids for a northeastern school. We got a lot of top talent at many positions, but we really squandered what we got on offense, and especially QB. The one area I think it's fair to criticize the past staff is having Jay as the QB coach. We never progressed QBs and we squandered some solid talent. No one had more highly ranked QB recruits bomb than PSU. Almost every one. That is an absolute advantage for BO'B. But, beyond QB, I think it's unfair to say Joe and co did not recruit good kids. What we did once we had them is another story.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby PennState03Chris » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:05 pm

JC in Va wrote:If O'Brien can do this well with the sanctions, how poorly did the previous staff do without them?

Not casting judgement (yet), just asking.

This was just about the typical recruiting class under the old staff. There were certainly years that we did better, but most were like this.

Sean Fitz, who runs Lions247, said he thought we would easily have had a "top 10" class if it weren't for the sanctions.

Carl,

I posted two articles over in The Locker Room. O'Brien and the staff have been to pretty much every school in PA who plays football. O'Brien is also all over the place making speeches, which he's supposedly pretty good at doing. The staff is working tirelessly, and seems to be pretty darn organized with what they are doing. And, even kids who go elsewhere are praising O'Brien and our staff when asked about PSU. If not for the sanctions, I have no doubt that we would have had a roster with "top 5" talent within 4-5 years.
PennState03Chris

Postby appoo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:30 pm

Recruiting wasn't the issue at Penn State under the prior staff. We've always had good talent around here. It was developing those players on the offensive side. I do think we'll improve a bit though, because O'Brien is casting a wider net. We'll see if it works.

Anyone think Lane Kiffen believes in Karma? He's got 4 decommits between yesterday and today, and his clas is now ranked behind UCLA, UDub and Oregon.
appoo

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting