It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:20 am Advanced search

2012-2013 Recruiting

Discussion about the future of Penn State.

Re: 2012-2013 Recruiting

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:47 pm

Chris,

I did read the articles you linked, thanks for doing that, they were informative. Moshannon Valley is a school out in the wilderness not far from my home area. I knew it immediately and now PSU coaches have visited there too. It used to be a very small district with the initials BCIJ to credit the four hamlets within its limits, Becaria, Coledale, Irvona? & I can't remember the J town. Not that PSU will ever fill up on MVHS recruits much like my alma maeter NBCHS (Northern Bedrord County) but Joe Nastasi did graduate from NBC and maybe another Nastasi will pop up from MVHS someday too.

I like that the coaching staff is becoming familiar with the states high schools. This is no shot as the previous staff, just crediting the new staff, most who are not from the PA area and needed to get out and introduce themselves. They appear to be doing a bang up job of it and that should reap benefits in the future.

Again, thanks for the updates of our commits too!
Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914): "An election is nothing more than the advanced auction of stolen goods."
Carl Spackler

Postby shane » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:36 pm

Carl,

I believe the J in BCIJ was forJanesville.
shane

Postby pennst92 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:18 pm

"Btw, maybe the reason Hackenberg's letter hasn't hit the fax is because he's not living in 1998. Who faxes? Print, scan, e-mail."

I'm getting tired of all the criticism of fax machines - look at the record over the past 25 years. How many fax machines had security compromises, or were hacked? Better yet, how many had .TIF files slow down their computer. None. You punch in the number (and recent models you could program the number too) and the fax gets sent. Electronically. Without error (usually).

Worst you could expect with a fax machine was a busy signal...but when it came down to wins and losses, faxes hands down come up a winner. Just ask the SC Department of Revenue (which was hacked recently - rumor has it, from by an employee's unsecured email account).

Oh...and I think they should send Hackenburg to the JC the other kid went to in order to get playing time...

:p
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

Postby Blue&White » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:01 pm

I am totally and utterly convinced that, generations from now, when historians and anthropologists try to reconstruct the demise of our civilization, it is all going to be traced to the fax machine.

I have a whole theory on this I've been developing since the late 90s and am working on the definitive treatise on the matter.

Seriously.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby pennst92 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:59 pm

You and I will just never agree on anything.

:(
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

Postby Blue&White » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:27 pm

You say that only because I have not had an opportunity to explain my theory to you.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby pennst92 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:00 pm

Let me refill my beer before you begin the lecture, Professor.

(a moment passes)

Okay...I'm ready.

(sits, sips a flat and almost warm Coor's Light, scrunches his face, then nods expectantly)
pennst92

Postby Blue&White » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:50 pm

Well, the 100,000 synopsis goes like this: prior to the invention of the fax machine, it took people 3 days to ship you work that you needed to do something with, 5 days to do that work, and 3 days to ship it back to them. The exact number of days will vary, but, the point is communication was not instantaneous and expectations were set accordingly.

Then came the fax machine. Then it no longer took 3 days to exchange a document or whatever you were shipping, it took 30 minutes. But, it still required 5 days to work on it. But, at some point someone said "hey, if I can reduce my shipping time from 3 days to 30 minutes, why do you still need 5 days to work on it? I got it to you in a fraction of the time, you should be able to do your work in at least 1/2 the time".

And so was born the 12 - 15 hour work day, the 80 hour work week, the expectation of being available 24/7, white collar drug use, the devolution of the traditional nuclear family because dad (or mom) was working late, etc. etc. etc. By the time e-mail came around, the trend was set. The spiral had began. And, it all started with the fax machine. And, our society will continue to deteriorate as we work more hours, spend less time with our children, stress more over the hours we work, etc. etc. etc. Marriage rates and birth rates are way, way down all over the western world and in Japan. People with money have no time for families, spouses, etc. because the amount of time they have to do the same work that, 30 years ago, everyone agreed took 5 days, has been cut to 1.5 days. The poorest and least able to take care of themselves continue to be fruitful and multiply but white collar, educated people are too busy chasing their careers to settle down. And, even if they want to, when can they? They have to do 5 days work in 1.5 days, because some idiot can now send a document that used to take 3 days to ship with the press of a button. It's now almost instantaneous.

There is more detail but that's the abridged version but you should get the drift.

And, the fax machine started the trend. It is the equivalent to the Goths storming our gates.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:20 pm

"Joe's salary from PSU was $500k and he was making a lot more money off the Nike contract. Again, I'm not in any way suggesting he did that and I'm certainly not suggesting he did it over money, but I understand why it is so easy for people to believe it. When football and basketball coaches at state schools are the highest paid employees in the state ,it is easy to understand the cynicism. "

The urban legend lives and on Wikipedia too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Paterno
The Pennsylvania State Employees' Retirement System (SERS) revealed Paterno's salary in November 2007: $512,664. He was paid $490,638 in 2006.[26] The figure was not inclusive of other compensation, such as money from television and apparel contracts as well as other bonuses that Paterno and other football bowl subdivision coaches earned, said Robert Gentzel, SERS communications director.[citation needed] The release of these amounts can only come at the university's approval, which Penn State spokeswoman Lisa Powers said will not happen.[citation needed] "I'm paid well, I'm not overpaid," Paterno said during an interview with reporters Wednesday before the salary disclosure. "I got all the money I need".[citati

This article presents the PSERS’s calculation of the maximum pay on which they will calculate a pension. It does not mean the number used was the total pay the person received, just that the persons wage may have exceeded the PSERS maximum to calculate a pension. This is exactly why while I occasionally use Wikipedia as quick and dirty source of info I never trust it on any factual data until it is confirmed from a non biased outside source.

Joe made over a million annually from Penn State as the IRS filling below shows. I provided two sources, not that it was necessary, but to show that the urban legend of misinformation is not so widespread as to completely obscure fact and the fact that I just learned you can't post more than three links in an article on this site.

http://deadspin.com/5857629/joe-paternos-annual-compensation-is-200000-higher-than-the-psu-presidents-and-other-grotesqueries (this link has the IRS filing from PSU showing that Joe was the highest paid person in the PSU system at over a million in compensation)

[url]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/22/joe-paterno-pension-pay_n_1537398.html
[/url]

This is not a shot a Joe as he was not compensated to the level commensurate with his status in the industry. It is a proof that urban legends have legs and if they are repeated enough they are taken as fact. Much like other info we discussed recently.
Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914): "An election is nothing more than the advanced auction of stolen goods."
Carl Spackler

Postby Blue&White » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:43 pm

I thought when the media was able to force PSU to reveal Joe's salary, it was $500,000k. I didn't base the comment on the pension pay out, just what I recall from the press at the time.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting