It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:53 am Advanced search

Class of 2015 Recruiting

Discussion about the future of Penn State.

Re: Class of 2015 Recruiting

Postby pennst92 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:24 pm

According to Snider at BWI, Givens going to play DE at Penn State. 6' 2" 240# kid, supposedly runs a 4.6 forty. FWIW.

Good finish to the class. Could care less about Pitt. They haven't been relevant since the early 80's.
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

Postby NittWit » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:42 pm

PennState03Chris wrote:That means that the grad transfer OL from Stanford is out.

Nope. He's on board too. No idea how...
NittWit

Postby PennState03Chris » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:18 am

NittWit wrote:
PennState03Chris wrote:That means that the grad transfer OL from Stanford is out.

Nope. He's on board too. No idea how...

Well, when the NCAA settled and the Consent Decree was dissolved, the NCAA maintained that Penn State couldn't then back count early enrollees as per normal rules. If they could have, that would have freed up 3 additional spots in this class, as 3 early enrollees would have back counted to the Class of 2014. Appears the NCAA reversed its course, which only makes sense since the Consent Decree was, you know, dissolved and all. No idea whether they'll find 2 guys for those last spots (27 and 28), or carry them over to next year.
PennState03Chris

Postby pennst92 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:30 pm

No surprises at this point (unless you count the Stanford OL transfer) - all LOI's accounted for. Any time you have a top 10 class there's cause for celebration. Some really good players in this group.
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

Postby PennState03Chris » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:01 pm

pennst92 wrote:No surprises at this point (unless you count the Stanford OL transfer) - all LOI's accounted for. Any time you have a top 10 class there's cause for celebration. Some really good players in this group.

Yep. Some kids with a lot of upside. The losses hurt (Wimbush, Mclean, Burrell, Wilkins), but I don't see a single "Well, that's an interesting offer..." kid in this class. We had a number of those kids during the classes torn apart by Sandusky and the sanctions. Excited to see how kids like Juwan Johnson and Jake Cooper work out.

Now, onto 2016, which is already off to a pretty darn good start. Just need some linemen...
PennState03Chris

Postby NittWit » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:44 pm

Funny what expectations do to you. If somebody has suggested we could have had this class at the start of the year, I would signed up in a heartbeat. And yet, having followed this process closesly, a part of me still wonders about what could have been. What could have been had we locked down some combination of the big Ws (Wilkins, Whitehead, Wimbush). What could have been had we snagged either Burrell or Newsome. I view these shifted expectations as a great thing by the way.

Not complaining. I mean, a few years ago we were not even in the conversation (even pre-sanctions) for many of these types of kids. This year we locked down so much top talent and were in the final fives of a lot of national-type kids. Even when we didnt close them, we were there until the end.

My hope for next year is that we replicate this type of a class quality-wise, but we add a few of those "five-star" types. Off to a great start with Simmons. But with an unusual amount of Five-Star kids in our DMV this year, I am getting greedy. Let's get Rashan Gary and RauShaun Smith.

P.S. - Meyer is a recruiting beast. And holy crap USC...
NittWit

Postby NittWit » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:59 pm

Update on something we had been speculating about:

Adam Mclean, the big DT (and first 2015 verbal) who decommited from us to go to Maryland has been ruled ineligible becauase he didnt meet initial eligibility requirements. Rumor was PSU asked him to go to prep school, while Maryland promised to get him in somehow, despite his obvious learning issues.

I remember the Terps were lauding this "victory", when in reality they were just screwing over a kid through awful advice. Hope he goes the JUCO route and gets on track. He was a big time prospect and by all accounts a good young man
NittWit

Postby pennst92 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:18 pm

Oh wow. That sux. That's Randy Edsall for ya...wish him good luck - shaved Penn State into his head when he initially committed, if memory serves.
pennst92

Class of 2015 Recruiting

Postby HaroldBype » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:44 pm

I stand corrected on the comment that Justin Arthur was not recruited by WVU & Coach Henson. I must have misunderstood my source and the conversation we were having.

Now as for his first recruiting class I have officiated matches of both Ragsdale & Myers the past couple of years at different tournaments and both are tough kids who will bring lots competitiveness to the team. I look forward to watching them wrestle for the gold & blue.
HaroldBype

Previous

Return to Recruiting