It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:26 am Advanced search

Class of 2015 Recruiting

Discussion about the future of Penn State.

Re: Class of 2015 Recruiting

Postby SouthernLion » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:14 pm

Blue&White wrote:I don't completely buy that our record and woeful offense cost us recruits. Maybe a few but it doesn't make sense it cost us all the ones we lost. First, the sanctions - and their impact - were well known. Kids coming to PSU have a chance to play much earlier than at some other schools. Second, there is precedent of a team coming off a really bad season and still being able to recruit well. Hell, look at the recruits Joe got during the Dark Years. The year we lost to Iowa 6 - 4 and Joe was 75+ years old and should have been known as Paternosaurus Rex and he was still able to recruit kids like Derrick Williams, Austin Scott and Justin King. And, he had no story to explain how awful we had been. He was an old man with a prehistoric philosophy who was falling behind the times. It was just a few years since we installed the Shot Gun into our offense. And, look at the class Joe was able to recruit.

I get that was 10 years ago (wow! I can't believe it's been 10 years) but I think the comparisson is still valid. Why could Joe recruit - with no story and nothing new to offer - and Franklin is getting beat? I can't believe it's just the season we had. I think there is something else in play. And, it's a big concern.

I can't speak for anyone else here, but this isn't exactly a recruiting collapse we're seeing, just a noticeable loss of momentum. If 2 or 3 key (3/4*) guys were lost because we consistently looked like dreck on offense, well I can't really blame them. We were horrendous most of the season and a lot of us it seemed quit watching this or that game in 2014 because it was so painful, offensively speaking, and we're huge fans. As for Joe, his recruiting that led to the dark years pretty much sucked, for 2-3 years. If this time next year JF is putting together a 35th or 40th ranked class then we got problems. It's too early to worry, IMO.
SouthernLion

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:32 pm

You're probably right about it being too early to worry, or conclude much of anything. I've said all along that the staff should get a Muligan for 2014 and that probably includes their first recruiting class of 15 as well. It's all very new and Franklin needs to prove he can win on the field. And, you're right - it's not been a collapse as much as a drop off.

Flier - I agree with you. Joe recruited the moms as much as the players. He was a master of that.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:35 pm

Chris made a point that we would not be whole and on a even footing with the other big boys until 2017's season. That will be two full playing seasons and if including this year, four recruiting classes down the road.

I've read some of the horror stories that we lost x or y but we don't know who we have until Feb 4th so if the ground hog sees his shadow that means recruiting will be hot and awesome but if he does not see his shadow it means they drug him out of his electrically heated burrow in the middle of the night, again, and as is constant before day breakd, no one sees their shadow. Add in the local newspaper has the story, printed and delivered before sun up of Ground Hogs day.

Franklin went from the most amazing recruiter to a average guy over the summer and season. Franklin is not a dumb guy, we will do OK.
Carl Spackler

Postby NittWit » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:13 am

DL Robert Windsor committed. 3 star picked us over Wisky. He's the guy we gave an offer to after McLean decommited
NittWit

Postby PennState03Chris » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:29 pm

NittWit wrote:DL Robert Windsor committed. 3 star picked us over Wisky. He's the guy we gave an offer to after McLean decommited

He got his offer after Wilkins chose Clemson.

Regardless, welcome aboard! Probably thought the weather in State College this weekend was tropical compared to his hometown in Wisconsin.
PennState03Chris

Postby pennst92 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:16 pm

DL Robert Windsor committed. 3 star picked us over Wisky. He's the guy we gave an offer to after McLean decommited

Important get - Someone mentioned, he was offered after Wilkins went to Clemson, but he's a good player in his own right. Important, because we lose two, and potentially three good players on the defensive line after next season. Welcome aboard, we're excited to have you...and a little momentum going into LOI Day isn't a bad thing.

All in all a good class at this point. Don't think we'll lose anyone else.

By the way - don't blame the offense for defensive players going elsewhere - doesn't hold steam. Wilkins had to see the Shoop led defense - his mouth should've been watering. I disregard that notion - furthermore, how many offensive guys have gone elsewhere?

Every year we have this sky is falling mentality when we lose one or two guys...it happens. Move on.
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

Postby NittWit » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:23 pm

Shareef Miller on board too. Needed these two commits. Florida looked to have momentum until recently. Nice pick up for us
NittWit

Postby PennState03Chris » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:53 pm

NittWit wrote:Shareef Miller on board too. Needed these two commits. Florida looked to have momentum until recently. Nice pick up for us

Welcome, Shareef!

Hope hr doesn't make the trip to UF for an official.
PennState03Chris

Postby NittWit » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:43 pm

Bowers just flipped from Pitt. That leaves just Petrishen I think. Good weekend
NittWit

Postby pennst92 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:26 am

So much for negative momentum.

This is a very good class...well done to the coaches for pushing through the end of the race. Now if we could just get our offensive line to block, the world would be a better place.

;)
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting