It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 7:53 am Advanced search

Class of 2016 Recruiting

Discussion about the future of Penn State.

Re: Class of 2016 Recruiting

Postby OldMain » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:22 am

You know, I really can't stand this guy. I just don't like anything about him. Why the hell did Penn State hire somebody who is so completely the antithesis of its traditions? A big-talking, glad-handing, self-promoting, "not really an Xs and Os guy" is just never going to be accepted here.
OldMain

Postby NittWit » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:34 am

It's not quite doom and gloom, but this class has certainly ended with a thud. The same thing happened last year, so obviously worried about a pattern.

This class will not be (on paper of course) as strong at the 2015 class he signed. The top end talent is there, (No 1 RB in country, top 10 DE, OL, C) but he didn't put together the depth. Plus he does a pretty good job of keeping the in-state talent at home.

Franklin seems to have us in the Top 5 for a lot of big recruits near the end of cycles, but we seem to lose them. My guess is that kids really like him personally, but Meyer, Harbaugh, etc. can sell them better on track record.

The most alarming thing for me this year was just the staggering amount of decommits. Some of this is probably due to coaching churn, but I think the on-field performance (and snake-oil tactics of competitors) has really hurt us.

To boot, Michigan, tOSU and MSU have put together very strong classes. So net, we have probably lost more ground this year. Have to do well in 2016-2017 season, else we may have to find alternate leadership for the future...
NittWit

Postby SouthernLion » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:47 pm

NittWit wrote:The most alarming thing for me this year was just the staggering amount of decommits. Some of this is probably due to coaching churn, but I think the on-field performance (and snake-oil tactics of competitors) has really hurt us.

This is testimony to the deep hole we've been slowly climbing out of for four years, that IMO was partially disguised by the outstanding senior class of 2012. The good thing about our position right now is the replenishment that seems to be occurring with the OL, which is the linchpin of any football team. A good OL allows a team to actually score points, which excites potential recruits and creates a REAL buzz as opposed to the manufactured buzz that Franklin indulges in. I guess we'll see how it all pans out.
SouthernLion

Postby gmay10 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:02 pm

I have no problems with everything. All of us knew that we were going have crappy teams until the 2018 season. I feel like we are ahead of that at the moment.
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:32 pm

I saw a stat the other day that made me feel a little better. PSU and Michigan have EXACTLY the same winning percentage of 55.6% since Joe Paterno was fired and since Lloyd Carr retired. And let's face it, PSU has certainly had a more difficult climb the last few years than Michigan.
Shore Lion

Postby SouthernLion » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:18 pm

I saw that same stat, Shore. I guess hatred of Michigan obscures the fact that they really sucked for half a dozen years, doesn't seem that long. Another encouraging thing I just read is that we pulled in 6 guys that are Top 5 of their positions nationally. Now if we can only retain & develop.
SouthernLion

Postby NittWit » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:11 pm

We will definitely have exciting players to watch over the next few years. The Barkley/Sanders backfield is going to be awesome. John Reid is as super-star in the making and we have some fun WRs on the roster. But as team, we are just not going to be able to compete with the depth/coaching of our rivals.

Both tOSU and Michigan just closed monster classes. Hill, Nordin and Gary all committed to Harbaugh today. Ouch

Dredrick Snelson, who was our last undecided, just committed to UCF. So our class is "officially" done. Probably a top 25 haul. Good, but not great, given the high level of the talent that was in our region this year
NittWit

Postby OldMain » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:43 pm

That will leave us looking up at UM, OSU, and MSU. This is a tough division and we're middle of the pack. A top 25 recruiting class won't move us up.
OldMain

Postby Shore Lion » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:04 pm

But the team did get some talent and more importantly now, depth. Player development is now on the coaches but I won't spend one second thinking about recruits who went elsewhere. Especially that kicker, he was definitely a "look at me" kind of kid and I'm just not down with that.
Shore Lion

Postby pennst92 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:45 pm

Plusses:

Offense:
OLine: Fries, Gellerstadt, McGovern & Menet - much needed infusion of legitimate talent. Would not be surprised to see Menet and McGovern on the 2 deep next year.
RB: Best kid in the state at his position
WR: Poached a rangy kid from Temple who has upside - not a position of need - this kid will RS.
TE: best TE in NY already enrolled.
QB: best QB in NY already enrolled.

Defense:
DB: Two kids who have some athletic ability - McPhearson grades out higher than Johnson in terms of star rankings - likely both RS given our depth at the position. And there is legit young depth at the position headed by Reid. Losing Lavert Hill still stings - he's a gamer.
DLIne - after all the hand-wringing on the boards after the defection Dwumfur and the other kid whose name I'm not gonna bother spelling, its funny to me that both, who probably would've red-shirted, were replaced by highly rated JUCo's who each have at least 2 years of eligibility left (one has 2, the other 3). This is a win for Franklin, IMO.

Special Teams:
Kicker: Barbir
Punter: Gillikin
Both should see immediate playing time, both highly rated and should provide stability at their positions - a HUGE upgrade over what's there now & bodes well for the next 3-4 years.

Minuses:
Linebacker: I like Cam Brown and Shaka Toney, but this has more to do with Troy Reeder transferring and concerns over Nyeem's recovery time. Ferns is likely a guy who could step in from day one - not sure these two guys are gonna be ready.

Safety: Losing Pryts hurts, and will force the staff to move guys around. Early rumors are that Nick Scott's moving to safety - been done before, will be done again, but dang, he would've provided some stability back there.

I get the angst, but can't find fault with the group that JF assembled. Coaching defections, player transfers all play into how the program's perceived...he did a fine job pulling in a lot of talent at several positions of need. I don't know what he could've done to prevent Pryt's last minute defection, prevent Lavert Hill from waffling, then defecting - I'm certain he'd been in touch with both throughout the process...maybe Sue could've baked them lasagna or something.

In either case, things still looking up, I believe...Cheers!
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting