It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 8:01 am Advanced search

Class of 2016 Recruiting

Discussion about the future of Penn State.

Re: Class of 2016 Recruiting

Postby pennst92 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:50 pm

That will leave us looking up at UM, OSU, and MSU. This is a tough division and we're middle of the pack. A top 25 recruiting class won't move us up.

This is true, however we're only a few points behind two of the three in terms of how the composite team rankings are calculated. We're not nearly as far behind as just pole position suggests. In the past two years something on the order of 22 of 45 commits are four star or better. We ARE trending in the right direction in terms of talented depth. Just not quite there yet.

Franklin does need a signature win next year. If he can win 8 games + the bowl game, it'll settle things down a good bit, and should help w/ recruiting.
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

Postby underlion » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:56 pm

They'll be good enough with development and IF they can show the heart of the guys from 2 and 3 years ago.
underlion

Postby OldMain » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:21 pm

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2612 ... ng-classes

Says Penn State's recruiting class is 18th nationally. Ahead of #20 Michigan State.

That would sound good to me except that it looked like we might get a top 10 class until the last few weeks and Michigan and Ohio State classes are both ranked in the top 5.

Until we, too, start offering offer cash, cars, and co-eds, it's going to be tough recruit against the Buckeyes.
Plus, we still make kids go to class.
OldMain

Postby PennState03Chris » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:35 pm

OldMain wrote:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2612217-national-signing-day-2016-ranking-top-25-recruiting-classes

Says Penn State's recruiting class is 18th nationally. Ahead of #20 Michigan State.

That would sound good to me except that it looked like we might get a top 10 class until the last few weeks and Michigan and Ohio State classes are both ranked in the top 5.

Until we, too, start offering offer cash, cars, and co-eds, it's going to be tough recruit against the Buckeyes.
Plus, we still make kids go to class.

We were never going to finish with a Top 10 class, unless we went out and won 9 or 10 games. Others were going to pass us by as the big fish committed late in the process.

This class is incredibly average. Reminds me of one of Paterno's later classes - a few big names, and a lot of late "reaches." The whimpering close to the season, the bowl loss, and the loss of Shoop and Hand really played into the negative recruiting. D'Antonio is a master negative recruiter, and his Pitt disciple Narduzzi does it as well. They, and others, sold heavy that Franklin's assistants were making lateral moves because they know Franklin is on the hot seat. Some kids listened, and others didn't. This is part of the problem when coaches sell relationships with the coaches instead of the positives of the school itself.

All in all, a disappointing class, with little in the way of good news for the last few months. On the positive side, at least Franklin didn't prove himself a creepy, win at all costs, douchebag like Harbaugh.
PennState03Chris

Postby gmay10 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:53 pm

underlion wrote:They'll be good enough with development and IF they can show the heart of the guys from 2 and 3 years ago.

Don't stoke Dbub's dragon
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby reincarnatedlama » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:47 pm

I wouldn't make that much of the defections - it's just a sign of the times - there is no dignity or integrity left in the recruiting process. Did anyone see the highlights from UM's signing day extravaganza? these things, and many of these recruits are turning this into an episode of MTVs Super Sweet Sixteen.

It's the selfie generation Look at me all the time. The NCAA is toothless so my guess is throwing cash, cars, coeds and whatever at recruits is reaching a peak. And with multi million dollar contracts at stake I won't be surprised if a coach would sleep at a recruit's house who has verballed to a another school to steal him. Oh that happened.

It's just a sign of the times - it's a free for all. I know some old schoolers don't like Franklin's high profile, Hollywood style but 18-22 years win championships, not 65 year olds (they throw money at winners). Franklin is simply doing what recruits these days want to see. For those who loved the old no name, team first, let your play do the talking, old school PSU and Paterno way - those days are in the history books.
Making America Great Again
reincarnatedlama

Postby SouthernLion » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:40 pm

I think w/ J.Moorhead on board, the great (potentially at least) OL crew signed the past 2 years, and a roster of far above average skill guys, JF's in decent shape. If we lose big games 45-42 next year (and maybe win one), rather than the usual dreary 23-10 struggles, JF will be in position to keep advancing the program. Offense generates excitement among 18-yr olds, almost as much as defense does among 65-yr olds. The issue as lama says above is that the kids play the game. I look at the Big 12 and Pac 12 (out here I can see 4-5 games each week in those conferences) and see very little defense being played, yet the best teams are scoring a lot of points and winning a lot of games. That more than anything else attracts recruits' attention. We'll never be an Alabama on defense, the regional demographics in PA don't support it. But we could (I say could) be a Baylor on offense, and that wouldn't be a bad thing at all.
Last edited by SouthernLion on Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthernLion

Postby pennst92 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:44 pm

I've come to the conclusion that the reason the Paterno way is gone is because most of 'us' like shiny new toys, conspicuous consumption, win at all cost, immediate gratification, success now - you know, just like PA's neighbor to the west. And that's a shame, because we should know better after the scandal.

I like Franklin. Don't love him, think he has some play-calling/strategy issues, but I believe he's a good man trying to do right by the program. And when compared to the previous 6 classes, the numbers play out - he's out-recruited both Joe and Bo'B by a wide margin, brought in a bunch of kids who have high end talent on both sides of the ball. I mean, 22 4 stars during his three years vs. 11 during the prior three --- easy to see we're climbing out of the hole.

Think over the next few years, if the BoT's give him the reins to continue to build, this will be a very fun team to watch.

Of course, there will always be folks who complain he's 'not a Penn State guy' - I just wonder what the motivation is there for that assumption.
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

Postby SouthernLion » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:54 pm

pennst92 wrote:I've come to the conclusion that the reason the Paterno way is gone is because most of 'us' like shiny new toys, conspicuous consumption, win at all cost, immediate gratification, success now - you know, just like PA's neighbor to the west. And that's a shame, because we should know better after the scandal.

I'm not really sure what you mean, '92. I think most of 'us' would just like to watch our football team not get run off the field by the like of MSU, osu, UM, etc. That being said I agree that Franklin is doing a pretty good job overall - far from perfect, but really far from terrible. I'd really like to see him be the guy in charge when the corner gets turned and we DO beat some of the best teams.
SouthernLion

Postby pennst92 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:57 pm

Of course - all of us would like to see more wins...but right now's not the time to be declaring CJF public enemy #1. I get the impression from multiple directions that he's starting to get pushed, but I see turnover for turnover's sake as counter-productive.

I could realistically see another 7 win season next year. If we lose to the three big teams in the east, it could mean his job. That would be a shame, given that 2016 was always supposed to be the nadir before the rise...also given that he's brought in some special players who have the potential to be the Kings and Williams, Pos and Lee of this decade. Given that, a bit of patience is in order.
pennst92

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting