It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:01 am Advanced search

Basketball recruiting

Discussion about the future of Penn State.

Basketball recruiting

Postby PennState03Chris » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:20 am

Yeah, I know. Well, we picked up a commitment from a Top 100, 4* 2015 shooting guard player named Josh Reaves.
PennState03Chris

Re: Basketball recruiting

Postby pennst92 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:09 am

Actually have a top 10 recruiting class per 247 in men's hoops. Are the stars aligning for CPC's? Perhaps - with one more ship to offer this summer, we're apparently in the game with several other excellent hoopsters.
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

Postby pennst92 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:37 am

Pat Chambers mysteriously has a pipeline going into Philly - interesting. Tony Carr, top Point Guard in PA committed last week, to go along w/ Philly Wing Nazeer Bostick and Forward Joe Hampton for next year's class.

Good news for the Cagers - Now, let's see if it will equate to wins.
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

Postby pennst92 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:23 pm

Lamar Stevens, 6' 6" forward from Philly joins Carr, Bostick and Hampton as part of next year's class...PC building a Philly pipeline singlehandedly...

Good stuff for those interested.
pennst92

Postby PSUPappy » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:52 pm

Chambers is putting together as good a group as we've seen for a long time, & has us competitive. I like a lot of what he does and hope he can break through & get a blue chip big man who can be dominant down low...one of Al McGuire's "aircraft carriers."
Life is good
PSUPappy

Postby PSUPappy » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:56 pm

Forgot to mention that getting Stevens, Carr, Bostick and Hampton should help Chambers attract a wide body.
Life is good
PSUPappy

Postby shane » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:09 am

Crazy to think the PSU has a higher ranked recruiting class than my Tarheels. Its early, but never thought I would be typing that sentence about PSU basketball.
shane

Postby Carl Spackler » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:58 pm

Hope the majority of the slim bball fan base continues to support Chambers. He is working hard and the success is beginning to show up in recruiting. It would be a tragedy if we decided to pull the plug on his long term potential. NO one else did it so why not give him a large reign in continuing the steady incremental improvement of the team, recruiting base in bball hotbeds that we never had in the past and in the overall demeanor of the program. He seems to demand from his recruits as they play, some move on but I'd rather have them move on due to inability to take the pressure than because we are a perpetual loser and better opportunities came along.
Carl Spackler

Postby pennst92 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:39 pm

It's a tough call. Thing about Pat - when DeChellis left, gone were Talor Battle, Cormley (the prior year), David Jackson and Jeff Brooks. The only holdover was Tim Frazier (who's had significant time in the NBA)...and not much else. Getting DJ Newbill was PC's first break...and he's been firing on all cylinders since.

What's striking about PC is that he laid the same groundwork that Franklin's now using to build the depth he needs to make football a powerhouse once again.
pennst92

Postby Carl Spackler » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:46 pm

It seems we are fortunate to have procured three good coaches when replacing ones with good records or not so good records.

Chambers for DeChell.

Billy B after Joe

Franklin after Billy

We could have done far worse. I remember hearing some awful names for the football position and general consternation with Bill announced. Literally everyone else was better than Bill who hed the team together (with help) when the NCAA tried to entice the players to leave. Franklin caught the bottom of the swoon and just this season has a two deep roster. Last year he played with less than 50 ship players against OSU, who we beat on the field until ref interference and malfeasance. I don't know Franklin's potential but he certainly can recruit and smooze the players.

Again, we could have done far worse but not too much better given our situation.
Carl Spackler

Next

Return to Recruiting