It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:30 am Advanced search

Class of 2017 Recruiting

Discussion about the future of Penn State.

Re: Class of 2017 Recruiting

Postby NittWit » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:34 pm

Really nice class with a great finish. Getting Brooks on board late was so clutch.

What's amazing is that we ended up with a great class and didn't do a great job of protecting our home turf.

If we continue to improve on the field, 2018 could be a monster year for us in recruiting
NittWit

Postby SouthernLion » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:11 am

As my son likes to tell me, the difference between a good program and a great program is depth, depth, depth. We are on the cusp of having 4-star reserves at nearly every position, which is the only way to win the tough games of November. Call me excited for PSU football!
SouthernLion

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:10 am

Is Brooks the major surprise of the class? I don't remember hearing a lot about him being a lean or really headed to State College in the past? He seems to be the top prize of the last weeks maneuvering. Nice work by the staff to snag him.

Saw we were rated 15th and wonder if that is a true representation of our class. Of course the criteria to rate is always a question as few agree to a system's ratings. We filled needs and with a full 85 ships to work with we have finally begun to balance the program as a whole instead of emergencies being the focus. I feel good about this class and look forward to seeing many of these young men contribute over the next five years.

WE ARE
Carl Spackler

Postby shane » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:14 am

Until Dylan Rivers decommitted, there wasn't a spot for Ellis Brooks. I think they were only taking one MLB this year and Rivers had taken the spot almost 14 months earlier. Once Rivers was gone, Brooks became a possibility and the staff did a great job to reel him in.
shane

Postby Blue&White » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:46 am

I think the rankings are a good indication of how good you did, but they are by no means not definitive. You want to be in the top 20, and even the top 10, but the team with the #1 recruiting class isn't a lock to end up at #1 in 3 or 4 years. Some kids will exceed expectations and some will under achieve. It happens all the time and with every program. In general, I think having a good class ranking means you did well in recruiting and can expect to be successful in the future, but assigning numbers and saying "the #11 class is obviously better than the #12 class" or even "the #1 class is clearly superior to the #10 class" is ridiculous. There is no definitive way to know that.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby SouthernLion » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:13 am

Blue&White wrote:....but assigning numbers and saying "the #11 class is obviously better than the #12 class" or even "the #1 class is clearly superior to the #10 class" is ridiculous. There is no definitive way to know that.

I don't think that assessing a #1 class being clearly superior to #10 is ridiculous at all. For a single class, anything can happen, yes. But over a five or ten year period I could go to Vegas and take the #1 class team over the #10 team and bring home big bags of money. Besides, I polled a hundred CFB gurus and 97 of them agree with me. :P
SouthernLion

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:14 am

shane, my mistake. Although Brooks was a great catch I was meaning Bolds as the last minute signing and got the Killer B's mixed up. Bold's was the player I was aiming at with my last minute comments. Your thoughts on Corey Bolds last minute recruitment?
Carl Spackler

Postby NittWit » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:52 pm

The rankings can be misleading in that they are based on total points which obviously correlates with class size. A few of the programs ranked ahead of PSU definitely had more signees and thus a higher rank.

However while rankings are not definitive, there are tiers of success. A 1-5 class is stronger than a 10-15 class. Kind of like with the football team rankings during the season, you can quibble within the tiers, but the tiers themselves are pretty good indicators I would say. So, while PSU had a great class that I am thrilled with, objectively speaking tOSU and Michigan had better overall hauls. tOSU had a historically good class actually (highest average star ranking ever I think). They both had similar classes to ours, but each added a few more "5 stars" than us. Overall, I dont think we have lost any real ground however and have added a lot of high quality depth at major positions which will make us dangerous.

For 2018, I would like to see a similar class but while also picking off a few more national caliber recruits. We are off to a great staff with Parsons, Fields, Kuntz and Shorter. With success on the field, I think we can sneak into that elite territory.

Again, great job JF and. co
NittWit

Postby pennst92 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:33 pm

Carl - great info re: Whistlin' Dixie - fun facts make me smile.

RE: 247 did an article last year at this time (IIRC) outlining top 10 classes over a 10 year period and how those programs fared. Most had top ten finishes over that time frame. There is a correlation, but certainly there are exceptions to the rule. Will say I feel better about having a top 10 finish, vs. the 41st ranked class just 3 years ago...
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

Postby SouthernLion » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:57 pm

As you guys are basically saying, it's really fun to have PSU recruiting in the top 10-15 realm again. Whether we ever make it back into the top 5, I dunno - it's not really a concern of mine. We've at least reached the place where every game we play, at home or on the road, at a minimum ought to be competitive with the outcome in doubt late in the game (or of course a runaway victory :) ). We're there. No more 40-pt blowouts at the big house or the stupid horseshoe. I want to wake up on Saturday game days knowing that we've got a chance to win, regardless of the opponent. JF & Co have got us there.
SouthernLion

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting