It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:13 am Advanced search

Class of 2018 Recruiting

Discussion about the future of Penn State.

Re: Class of 2018 Recruiting

Postby SouthernLion » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:17 am

Joe was able to pluck some real finds from SC - Courtney Brown comes to mind. Not as easy now with Clemson on the rise, I suppose.

Welcome Justin Fields, 4* QB from Georgia.

I checked out a few minutes of the kid's highlight video - he looks scary good, kind of a DeShaun Watson look about him. One play he zinged about a 40-yd td strike into the end zone, immediately turned to the sidelines and jogged slowly toward the bench, not even looking at the end zone celebration. I liked that. The other thing I noticed is that both Harvard and Yale had a strong interest in him (along with of course, 20-30 big D-1A programs). Can't hurt to have a 4* qb with brains.
SouthernLion

Postby Carl Spackler » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:16 am

Sounds like a real find Southern. Thanks for the input. I read that he committed but did not know his talent level or any details.
Carl Spackler

Postby NittWit » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:21 pm

Go back to the '90s, however, and how many schools really recruited nationally? ND was certainly one. Michigan another. USC? I'm not really sure

Joe didn't really need to recruit nationally for many, many years, as PA and NJ were as fertile a recruiting grounds as anywhere in the country. It's really only been over the last 15 years that this (perceived) shift has happened. Ohio State rarely dipped outside of Ohio and surrounding states under Cooper and Tressel. Meyer has blown that up and gone national

That's a great point. I think pure logistics also prevented national recruiting from happening. Athletic budgets were smaller, national recruiting services more limited, data on kids was harder to find, communication options were more limited, etc. You had to pick and choose where you sent your scouts and so you would obviously focus locally just from an efficiency standpoint. There might have even been more "local pride" (for lack of a better term) for kids at some point making it harder to poach talent, but cant confirm that.

However, the world changed quickly and recruiting definitely became more national and I personally believe we were slow to adapt (see JoePas famous "tweedle dee" comment, which while hilarious, was somewhat telling). I follow recruiting quite closely and given the size, history, resources, exposure and academics of the PSU program, it felt like for a long-time we were not getting our "fair share" of national recruits. And in fact, other teams started poaching our talent from across the country. But Franklin clearly understands this new game before the game. While it is easy to point to his charisma as his biggest asset, he has also made important organizational steps to improve our situation. He treats recruiting as an end in of itself, has dedicated recruiting coordinators and considers recruiting success/failures as part of staff evaluations. That is just management. Combine with on-field success and that is why we are seeing us step into the echelon where we belong.
NittWit

Postby pennst92 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:51 pm

Lot of South Carolinians marched north to State College back in the day. But, yes, Joe was slow to adapt until he started losing, then he got involved again in 2004 to bring in JKing and DWill. That entire class was very good (top 5, maybe?). Seemed to tail off at the very end (2007-8-9), I suspect due to the health issues rumored at the time, along with the Grand Jury...I still don't understand why he stayed after 2008, or even '05. Anyway - not gonna turn this into a bad thing - CJF has revolutionized quite a bit about PS Football. One of the things that struck me about him is that he's VERY organized. He talked at length when he was coaching Vandy about the importance of using every minute of your working day to accomplish something.

Anyway...good to see talented kids looking at the Lions again as a legit landing place for college.
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

Postby gmay10 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:15 pm

#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby originalchas » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:34 pm

This kid Justin Fields has a great Huddle hilite film.

He throws an absolutely great deep ball. Just effortless and well coached from the looks of it.

On top of that he looks to be big, powerful and quick. He is listed at 6'2" 210 lbs, but he looks bigger.

If the staff can keep him this is a great commitment for 2018. If they can put him and Micah Parsons in the same backfield you will see linemen and linebackers on other teams come up with phantom injuries the week before they play PSU.
originalchas

Postby NittWit » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:51 pm

Welcome 3* LB Charlie Katshir. PA kid. Not a huge offer sheet. But beat stupid Pitt for his verbal. Momentum continues
NittWit

Postby NittWit » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:21 pm

Huge day for PSU recruiting. Landed 3* (but rising fast) LB Jesse Luketa and 5*RB Ricky Slade.

This class is turning into something that Pete Carroll or Saban would put together. I am getting way too excited given that these commitments dont count for much these days. But I am going to enjoy this while I can!!!
NittWit

Postby shane » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:36 pm

Expect Luketa to get a big ratings boost after the summer camp circuit. He's up to 31 scholarships after LSU just recently offered. Most expect he will end a mid to high 4 star wham all is said and done. Unbelievable start to this recruiting cycle.
shane

Postby Carl Spackler » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:29 pm

Had not heard Luketa verbally committed, good news. Slade and Wade, from the 17 class, are actively recruiting other star players to "come to Penn State". Saw some comments gleaned from tweedle dee that they are going to go after others to attempt a recruiting coup in State College's class of 2018. Very nice to read of this activity as this is a adjunct to the coaching staff's efforts that is immeasurable in influencing other recruits. While this probably happened in the past (I realize it did) the open manner of the internet and social networking make the effort open for anyone to discover. I wonder what our staff or other staff's do to fan the flames of this activity? As a HC I'd certainly encourage it.
Carl Spackler

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting