It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:16 pm Advanced search

Class of 2018 Recruiting

Discussion about the future of Penn State.

Re: Class of 2018 Recruiting

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:34 pm

Zach Kuntz of Camp Hill is the commit. He's said to be the top tight end in the country for the 2018 class.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby pennst92 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:16 pm

Former wideout Christian's brother.
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:25 pm

He is listed at 6' 7 1/2" tall? wow. That is a target! The size of some recruits amazes me. I'm hearing that the 2018 class may be very special. Anyone else hearing this?
Carl Spackler

Postby PennState03Chris » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:38 pm

Welcome Justin Fields, 4* QB from Georgia.

PSU now with the #1 class in the country in 2018. However, it's early.
PennState03Chris

Postby Blue&White » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:58 pm

When was the last time PSU looked to have a #1 class? Have we ever?

I like winning. Winning totally rocks.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby NittWit » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:06 pm

There was a fleeting moment two seasons ago where we sat at number 1. Didnt end there :)

Quick thing worth highlighting - this is a highly touted player from SEC country. National recruiting has been missing from PSU for a while (and arguably has never been here really). If you want to play with the big boys, you have to protect your base and poach a couple here and there nationally. We are increasingly seeing Franklin do that.

At the risk of getting lambasted, it always bothered me that PSU didnt seem to think of itself as national power during the JoePa era (although, admittedly I am most familiar with the 21st part of that). I never thought we got our fair share of recruits from outside the DMV. But Franklin has the right scope in mind IMO and the results are showing. We are...national!
NittWit

Postby Blue&White » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:18 pm

Getting northern kids to go south is always easier than getting southern kids to go north. That has nothing to do with Penn State or Joe, it's just a reality. But, Joe pulled his share of kids from the warm weather states in his time. Guys like Michael Robinson, Courtney Brown and Leroy Thompson were all from the south. Zack Wasserman (who transferred very early on after his mother was diagnosed with cancer) was from California. It was never a huge list and Joe certainly focused more at home, but it's not like he didn't recruit outside the normal area. And, it was always a uphill battle.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Carl Spackler » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:33 am

Joe made a point of drawing a 500 mile circle around State College and that was his designated recruiting area. We rarely strayed outside of that circle. Obviously this is probably true for many colleges as money to recruit nationally doesn't go as far or you need much more to do so effectively and consistently. We had some asst. coaches who didnt't recruit or go very far from home, again you are generally most effective close to home, that seems to be common sense.

Yet we read of big time football schools recriting nationally. OSU and UM delve into the ripe Florida market regularly, not for the bulk of their team but for special players, skill positions or a unique player. It seems J. Franklin is doing the same. His remote camps worked well to introduce PSU to out of state marktes but I believe that has been ruled out by the powers that be in the NCAA so we need to work on other areas to penetrate markets that have been left to stagnate from a PSU image standpoint. Winning is the key and now that it appears we are on the cusp of reloading this team next season and beyond consistent winning should be back as a staple for PSU. We are back and we are reaching beyond our traditional recruiting markets. Good news all around. A welcome change for a program so villified such a short time ago. If our coaching staff continues to perform in the increasingly positive manner shown this season things will be looking up for some time into the future, great news.
Carl Spackler

Postby PennState03Chris » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:10 am

Believe that we had a couple of #1 classes on the early 1990s, although those rankings were far fewer and less scrutinized than they are today.

Go back to the '90s, however, and how many schools really recruited nationally? ND was certainly one. Michigan another. USC? I'm not really sure

Joe didn't really need to recruit nationally for many, many years, as PA and NJ were as fertile a recruiting grounds as anywhere in the country. It's really only been over the last 15 years that this (perceived) shift has happened. Ohio State rarely dipped outside of Ohio and surrounding states under Cooper and Tressel. Meyer has blown that up and gone national.

I don't really know what the turnaround for this team was following the UM debacle. If we had stayed on that same path, an average 2017 class would have fallen off and limped to the finish. Now, we're seeing the results of Franklin's recruiting prowess, combined with on-field results and subsequent positive media coverage. Will be fun to watch how the 2017 closes out (limited spots left) and how 2018 shapes up.
PennState03Chris

Postby Blue&White » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:34 am

I don't know how prevalent it was to recruit outside of your region back then, but I remember in the late 80s and early 90s Joe pulling up a bunch of southern talent from places like Florida and South Carolina. We had a big get from South Carolina while I was a student but, for the life of me, I can't recall who it was now.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting