It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:19 am Advanced search

Class of 2013-2014 Recruiting

Discussion about the future of Penn State.

Re: Class of 2013-2014 Recruiting

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:46 pm

I understand that young recruits....seventeen, eighteen year olds...flip their commitments frequently this time of year; however, can't past my discomfort with the Vandy flips. Can you imagine the furor on this board and elsewhere if B'OB had gone to the U of Texas and flipped five PSU commits to the longhorns? We would've lost our minds. That said, I will say once again to myself "welcome to the new millennium" and welcome Amani O.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby Crowbar » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:24 pm

I understand what you are saying. However, for all those decades we
Crowbar

Postby Crowbar » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:27 pm

Sorry...damn iPhone.

Anyway, all those years of being the good guy got us spit on when the chips were down. Therefore I have taken the position if a coach does to us, he is a d-bag. If we do it to someone else, it's just business, nothing personal. Hypocritical on my part? Yes. But, I am just being a fan here!
Crowbar

Postby Carl Spackler » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:22 pm

I believe we were, in the past (Joe), operating on the theory of gentleman's agreements involving recruiting but over the years the "culture" of coaching moved to the, whatever we can get away with theory, so we have been operating at a deficit. Now we get two coaches who are younger and trained in the aggressive style of recruiting and when they become head coaches themselves they operate aggressively. Our recruiting style has shifted to a paradigm of aggressive but legal recruiting for student athletes. This is new to us and some find it distasteful yet it likely will produce positive results. As our fan base changes to the younger set the furor over this aggressive recruiting style won't be discussed but accepted as business as usual. The question is, when a new paradigm is introduced will our staff and fan base adapt to it or will we lag behind? I suspect the new coaches will embrace as much as is legal, profitable and beneficial while the fan base may again lag in accepting due to our moral stance ingrained for many years.

Wife still hears that PSU cheats, they all do. That is the battle cry among most fans of SEC, etc. It justifies their continued cheating. The all give money, they all give cars, they all provide chippies. Mauti speaks of it in the Bacon book directly. We didn't and I don't see that well will until I'm long gone but it could happen. The fact that is isn't happening is a tribute to the staffs we have had since the 1940's when we again began to give athletic scholarships.
Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914): "An election is nothing more than the advanced auction of stolen goods."
Carl Spackler

Postby Crowbar » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:50 pm

Carl Spackler wrote:The question is, when a new paradigm is introduced will our staff and fan base adapt to it or will we lag behind? I suspect the new coaches will embrace as much as is legal, profitable and beneficial while the fan base may again lag in accepting due to our moral stance ingrained for many years.

Wife still hears that PSU cheats, they all do. That is the battle cry among most fans of SEC, etc. It justifies their continued cheating. The all give money, they all give cars, they all provide chippies. Mauti speaks of it in the Bacon book directly. We didn't and I don't see that well will until I'm long gone but it could happen. The fact that is isn't happening is a tribute to the staffs we have had since the 1940's when we again began to give athletic scholarships.

I think the answer to your question is, it depends. If Penn State starts winning conference championships and appearing in the NC playoffs regularly, the fan base will gleefully accept this new style of recruiting. If they aren't winning anything significant, and appear stuck in the mud, then his recruiting will come into question.

As far as Joe goes, you have to look at the "gentlemen's agreement" with an *. Joe did not really for the loss of his job, nor did anyone on his staff. Therefore, they could afford to take that approach. However, if he truly feared for his job, I bet he would have been more aggressive in the recruiting game (not that his recruiting was awful in the first place).
Crowbar

Postby Carl Spackler » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:15 pm

That is an interesting take on it. There are some who would never admit that the scenario could possibly happen with Joe. I'm in the camp that Joe was human, like most of us are.... We are all subject to temptation and cutting a corner here and there. It doesn't mean we do it but the temptation is there. When your job is in the balance as you noted the pressure to perform becomes so great that some succumb. Joe really didn't fear the loss of his job probably since the 1980's run and even before that period. Hit hit the jackpot with is third and fourth years going undefeated and the darling of the media after a 5-5 opening season and I think a 7-3 second season where he tossed the seniors and installed the sophomores that put back to back amazing seasons together.

I know that the "they all cheat" is prevalent outside PA. It easily justifies the schools that over do it to say they all do it. I sat on a plane from Phoenix to Phil. fall of 2005 and met a Riddel sp? salesman. Turns out he played for U of F in the Spurrier days of the early 90's and then the Dolphins. He told us that PSU got a player out of South Carolina (think he said Ray Roundtree). He insinuated that PSU just swept down south and paid off Roundtree to sign up and then he did sign on. He was as sure as sure can be that ALL teams pay off players. He knew a lot more than I do about it but I didn't believe him on that point at the time. It appeared that U of F must have participated as he seemed to think they ALL did it but I didn't want to antagonize the man, he was large.

We had a special situation for years. We promoted it and other schools were jealous of it. When the winds of trouble blew up they reveled in it. Yet, the cheaters continue unchecked. The small fry schools get the hammer but the big money producers (minus PSU) get little to no scrutiny. The NCAA parades the small fry schools to show they police the market place yet they know there is major trouble at UNC, Miami, the entire SEC minus Vanderbilt and the big 12 along with USC, etc.

I think Bacon is writing another book about college sports but do not know when it is due to go to press. His book that came out last fall was quite informative, sadly.
Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914): "An election is nothing more than the advanced auction of stolen goods."
Carl Spackler

Postby OldMain » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:35 pm

All of the recruit rating services rate this as a Top 25 recruiting class nationally and all rate it as either 2nd or 3rd best in the Big Ten.

That’s amazing for a school that is limited to 20 recruits this year instead of 25 and to 75 scholarships overall instead of 85 and that is banned from bowl for the next two years. Ten of 25 kids (40%) are from the South.

There two kids from Alabama in this class.
Four from New Jersey
Three from Pennsylvania
Three from Florida
Three from Virginia
Two from Maryland
Two from Delaware
One from Georgia
One from North Carolina
One from Ohio
One from Illinois
One from California
One from Massachusetts

PENN STATE FOOTBALL LETTER OF INTENT SIGNEES
Marcus Allen, S, 6-2/190 (Upper Marlboro, Maryland)
Mark Allen, RB, 5-7/185 (Hyattsville, Maryland)
Troy Apke, WR, 6-1/187 (Pittsburgh, PA)
Noah Beh, OT, 6-6/260 (Scranton, PA)
Saeed Blacknall, WR, 6-3/210 (Manalapan, New Jersey)
Brendan Brosnan, OT, 6-6/275 (Park Ridge, Illinois)
Torrence Brown, DL, 6-4/240 (Tuscaloosa, Alabama)
Jason Cabinda, ATH, 6-1/220 (Flemington, New Jersey)
Christian Campbell, S, 6-0/181 (Phenix City, Alabama)
Koa Farmer, S, 6-1/200 (Riverside, California)
Mike Gesicki, TE, 6-5/236 (Manahawkin, New Jersey)
Chris Godwin, WR, 6-1/193 (Middletown, Delaware)
Grant Haley, CB, 5-10/170 (Atlanta, Georgia)
Trace McSorley, QB, 6-0/182 (Auburn, Virginia)
Amani Oruariye, CB, 6-1/180 (Tampa, Florida)
Troy Reeder, ILB, 6-2/230 (Wilmington, Delaware)
Nick Scott, ATH, 5-11/188 (Fairfax, Virginia)
Chance Sorrell, OT, 6-6/263 (Middletown, Ohio)
Johnathan Thomas, WR, 6-0/170 (Danvers, Mass.)
DaQuan Worley, CB, 5-11/170 (Coatesville, PA)

ALREADY ENROLLED IN CLASSES AT PENN STATE
Tarow Barney, DT, 6-1/285 (Gainesville, Florida)
Michael O'Connor, QB, 6-4/223 (Ottawa, ON, but plays HS FB in Bradenton, Florida)
De'Andre Thompkins, WR, 6-0/170 (Hubert, North Carolina)
Antoine White, DT, 6-3/265 (Millville, New Jersey)
Chasz Wright, OT, 6-6/285 (Woodbridge, Virginia)
OldMain

Postby pennst92 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:53 am

That's a nice recap. Two things stand out - the number of DB's, and the number of wideouts. All of them are athletic and fast, and have the potential to see playing time soon.

Depth may be an issue on the lines and at LB (go figure at LB U) - for the latter, I see Cabinda and more likely Reeder both having an opportunity to see the playing field as true frosh. Barney will see time on the line, not sure any of the other recent commits will have that opportunity.

Losing Holley hurt, but stuff happens. Overall, a nice class, and I like that they maxed it out - should prove helpful as the team moves past 2014 and into the heart of Franklin's tenure.
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

Postby Walker_Building » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:48 pm

Mike Gesicki seems like he's quite an all-around athlete. I've seen that he's a decent basketball player, what I didn't know was that he's a superb volleyball player who just lead his team to the state title.

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/3768373882609385910/st-peters-prep-1-at-southern-2-njsiaa-volleyball-tournament-state-final-round-boys-volleyball/#incart_river_default
Walker_Building

Previous

Return to Recruiting