It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:47 am Advanced search

Terrorism

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: Terrorism

Postby psu_dad » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:51 pm

go find people asking Ted Nugent for his opinion on what Kathy Griffin did

There isn't enough Zoloft in the world to jolt me out of the depression that would grip me if my job required me to ask Ted Nugent or Kathy Griffin their opinion of anything. Suddenly, I'm feeling a wave of affection for my employer.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:11 am

When we have a thread on "jobs psu_dad doesn't want", that's a good comment. But, not really relevant to the current point.

I could care less about Nugent or Griffin. I though both their comments were over the top of polite conversation, but, ultimately, who care? What struck me about it is the utter hypocrisy of conservatives in general and Trump in particular. Nugent stood on stage in 2007, held 2 machine guns and basically called for the murder of Obama and Clinton. I took his comments as being figurative, but they were just as nasty as what Griffen said. And then in 2012, just before the election, he said if Obama won again within a year he'd be "dead or in jail". That's not figurative. It's not a metaphor. It's a statement of future intent and the actions he said he was going to take (which he obviously never did). And, Trump not only supported him but a few weeks ago had him over for dinner in the White House.

And now he's upset about the impact that Kathy Griffin's little arts-and-crafts project had on his kids. Obama has kids too. Did he worry about them when he was backing Nugent's comments? Or the birther conspiracies? Or shrugging off the imagery of Obama being lynched? Last year during one of the Republican debates he took a nasty shot at Rosie O'Donnel. She said later in an interview that she was home, watching the debates with her wife and kids, and suddenly there is this nasty comment about her. Did Trump worry about the impact on her kids?

And, isn't all this just the whining of poor little hurt snowflakes who just yesterday were complaining about political correctness and how no one can take a joke anymore? I guess it was about that when they got to tell the jokes. Now they are on the constant receiving end and all you hear is crying and whining. There's a surprise. But, there is no one who has less call to be offended or upset about nasty comments about him than President Littlehands.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:30 am

When we have a thread on "jobs psu_dad doesn't want", that's a good comment. But, not really relevant to the current point.

What exactly is the point? That we have a POTUS who is a hypocrite? That a person managed to ascend to the presidency while being less than honest and consistent in their beliefs and with a capacity for criticizing others for shortcomings they themselves possessed?

If that's the point, maybe we should start a "Water is wet" thread.

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:32 am

I see one significant difference between Kathy Griffin's really, really poor attempt at humor....which describes all of her attempts at humor....and Ted Nugent's transparant suggestion that he would be dead or in jail following Obama's re-election in 2012. Although both are very bad attempts at expressing an opinion of the respective WH occupants, it's highly doubtful the very bad comedienne or the very bad rock musician had any intent of doing anything other than drawing attention to themselves. The difference....Griffin would never warrant a visit to the oval office or dinner with the POTUS had HRC prevailed. Which makes it even more appalling that the birther-in-chief would see fit to honor nugent with an invitation to the WH. If you could lift the lid on president littlehands' comb-over and peer inside his brain, it would indeed be a truly frightening sight.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby LioninVa » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:55 am

It isn't just that we have a POTUS who is a hypocrite; that is really nothing new. I think the point is that we now have a grounsdwelling of supporters of said POTUS who almost literally would cheer him on if, as he stated, shot someone dead on the street of NYC. (I'm not exactly sure of the quote, but that was the message) More to the point, this group of followers; some consider it cult-like; are the ones that have flipped on ideas like congress investigating politicians real or perceived wrong doings; if it acceptable for POTUS to take a day or two to golf; bombing of foreign countries and all kinds of other things. Granted, there has been flipping from the other side of the aisle as well, so I realize this isn't limited to one group of numbskulls...
LioninVa

Postby psu_dad » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:36 am

I am significantly more upset about the stupidity of the president's response than the hypocrisy.

Hypocrisy on the part of a politician is something I take for granted. But when someone who opposes you does something as monumentally stupid as what Ms Griffin did, it seems to me that the smart thing to do is to totally ignore it. It does not require you to point out how inappropriate it is. That's plain for anyone to see. And it's beneath the dignity of the Office of the Presidency to get into a war of words with a brain-dead comedian that no one cares about. Or at least, it should be.

psu_dad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:07 am

Whatever dignity we ascribe to the Office of the Presidency has disappeared beneath the squalor and insipid immaturity of its current occupant. His need to address each and every slight, perceived or otherwise, with a personal attack is beyond the pale. Say what you want about Obama, but his response to the onslaught of character assassination was dignified silence.....a dignity President Thin-Skin is incapable of demonstrating.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:01 am

I didn't find the last president particularly dignified or likable. He was often snide and condescending to those who disagreed with him. There's Ivy League Unlikable, where you treat everyone who disagrees with you as beneath your consideration and there's NYC Unlikable, where you tell everyone who disagrees with you to go screw themselves. We've gone from one to the other.

In my life time, the two presidents who seemed to have the most grace and humor in dealing with their opponents (at least publicly) were probably John Kennedy and Bill Clinton. Perhaps treating life as a non-stop boink-fest mellows a person out.

psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:11 am

I am significantly more upset about the stupidity of the president's response than the hypocrisy.

They are two sides of the same coin, though. That's a bit like saying "I don't care that he's shooting a gun but the bullets really upset me".

As for Obama, likeability is a totally subjecting thing. People inclined to like him would find him likeable. People who are inclined not to would not. When it comes to people who hold a certain amount of power - be it political power or an executive at a company - I find them all to have similar traits in how they address people. It takes a certain amount of intelligence and bravado to get to those levels in business or politics and people who reach those levels aren't afraid to let you know that. In that sense, I found Obama no different than most everyone who holds that office. But, while he certainly had his moments, I found Obama to be generally dignified. Trump I find the opposite - he has moments when he is capable of it but it is far from the norm.

As for reactions, the more egregious one is his response to the London attacks over the weekend. And, then his tweets this morning about how this actually IS a travel ban. The lawyers in the Solicitors office must be ready to kill him about now as he's just blown a major hole in their argument that it wasn't that and basically confirmed the lower courts reasoning.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby LioninVa » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:22 am

I was just logging in to comment on his reaction to the Mayor of London, but you beat me to it, B-Dub.

To add insult to injury, while his spokespeople are being asked if he will retract or apologize for his tweet over the weekend, The Donald doubled down and sent another insulting tweet. I would say I am surprised, but that wouldn't be the truth...
LioninVa

PreviousNext

Return to Free for All