It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:13 am Advanced search

The Other Sports Collective Thread

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: The Other Sports Collective Thread

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:27 am

I saw an interview with a retired member of the Washington Generals about a game they actually won. They got a lead in the 4th quarter and the Globetrotters were goofing off and lost track of time. They staged a furious comeback in the closing minute, with the assistance of the Generals, but didn't leave themselves enough time to catch up.

He said the crowd was stone silent. They didn't know how to react. :D
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:10 am

I think the Generals have won like 3 times.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby PSUPappy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:46 am

WHAT???? Next I guess you'll be telling us that George "The Animal" Steele's rasslin' bouts weren't on the up & up! Pfffftttt. Is nothing sacred to you two?
Life is good
PSUPappy

Postby psu_dad » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:54 am

George "The Animal" Steele was totally on the level. His absence from the list of the 100 Greatest Athletes of the 20th Century was a travesty.

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby gmay10 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:40 pm

This entire conversation by Bdub and Dad need to go into the you know you became a cranky old man when...

The NBA has completely done away with players being physical. The NBA does not want to deal with their superstars getting injured. Basketball is the only professional sport where a Superstar truly makes the largest difference (A QB in the NFL might come close to this comparison).
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:23 am

Anyone planning on going to the Olympics in Brazil?

Jeez, what a major clusterf*ck this is going to be. A lot of people who otherwise may have gone are not going due to concerns over the Zika virus. A number of big name athletes have dropped out because of fears of the virus. And now the local cops are saying "come at your own risk".

The Olympics is a budget killer for most countries. It's a shame but it may be an idea whose time has past.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:37 am

The Olympics is a budget killer for most countries.

It's a budget nightmare for cities like Rio that have don't have adequate sports facilities and other required infrastructure in place and need to spend bazillions to develop them. I presume Rio got the nod for 2016 on the strength of the Bribe & Kickback package they presented to the IOC selection committee.

The 2020 games in Tokyo will probably come off OK. I think LA, Rome and Paris are bidding for 2024. Again, that shouldn't present a problem. They need to stick to cities that can handle it.

psu_dad

Postby SouthernLion » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:01 am

The Olympics is a budget killer for most countries. It's a shame but it may be an idea whose time has past.

Couldn't agree more. Have you ever checked out the state of the Sochi or the Athens facilities these days? Abandonment, overgrown monuments to political excess. There are a hundred reasons why the Olympics belong in the past, especially now with terrorists practically being invited to nearly every Western country.

I remember in 1996 I had friends who were willing to pay anything to drive up to decrepit Legion Field in Birmingham to watch, oh, was it Guyana vs Latvia? play a soccer game. I wouldn't have looked out into my backyard to see such meaningless nonsense. We scheduled our vacation that year to be as far from Atlanta as was practical.

It really makes sense that a broke, diseased, third-world country is spending billions for a once-and-done athletic extravaganza. Yep, fits in well with what passes for wisdom in 2016.
SouthernLion

Postby gmay10 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:26 pm

Ryan Lochte- what the hell are you doing? The media is going to have a blast with this situation- good times ahead! Lock him up in a Brazilian prison for 2 weeks.
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby gmay10 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:04 pm

Watching some USA Men's soccer World Qualifying tonight (game of FS1) and the US team has a kid that is going to be a star, Christian Pulisic. He is only 17 years old and he is legit. He is a Hershey, PA product but plays over in Germany for Borussia Dortmund (A legit world football club) in the Bundesliga. He sees the whole field, can pass, and can finish (something the US sucks at!). In his first qualifier on Friday he had 2 goals and an assist. Things seem to be looking up for the USMNT!
#Wentz4president
gmay10

PreviousNext

Return to Free for All