It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:08 pm Advanced search

Beer Thread

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: Beer Thread

Postby gmay10 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:30 pm

psu_dad wrote:Not all dark beers are the same. Many years ago I got to spend a week in Germany and I really enjoyed the Schwarzbier (a very dark lager). I was there in the Summer and it was a great warm weather beer ... moderate ABV and lighter in body than you might expect. It looked like a stout, but it didn't drink like one.

Doesn't seem to be a hugely popular type of beer in the U.S. Sam Adams makes a very respectable black lager and Guinness makes one that is just so-so.

Yuengling make a great dark beer called Black and Tan. It is fantastic
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby gmay10 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:35 pm

IPA have been getting huge audiences for years but I find that they make my stomach a little upset. We get food out once in a while and most of the beers on tap are IPAs or pale ales. I am just complaining a bit.

BTW- I love me some fall beers too. I will have to check out that pumpkin beer Bdub. I got a case of Travellers Pumpkin beer and it was okay. Too spicy IMO.
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby Blue&White » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:02 am

Some of them have cinnamon in them. I like that, but can only drink so many of them before it's just too much.

the best pumpkin beer I've had is the one from Southern Tier brewery. It's really good, but it's ridiculously expensive. Worth a 6 pack but a case is like $85. That's just a lot of money for beer.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:41 pm

Some IPAs are hoppier than others which is becoming a problem for me. Used to be a big fan of the Troegs line, but Troegs is noted for being hoppy. Perhaps it's the physiological changes that go with aging, but the hoppier beers don't sit well with me anymore....kinda like how I used to love to pile raw onions on a burger or a dog when I was younger, but now they give me indigestion.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby gmay10 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:12 pm

Just got a case of Troeg's Nugget Nectar for the storm. I absolutely love this beer even if the nuggets don't always agree with my stomach
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:30 pm

Ha, I picked up a 6 of that. Can't wait to try it.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby PSUPappy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:38 am

I'll have to try that. I'm partial to Troegs, particularly Troegenator. Anybody ever do the tour of their Hershey brewery? I think about that every once in a while since they're close to us, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Life is good
PSUPappy

Postby gmay10 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:43 am

Blue&White wrote:Ha, I picked up a 6 of that. Can't wait to try it.

Let me know what you think. To me it is the best smelling beer that ever wafted up my nose. I actually grow my own nugget hops because of this beer. It is a beautiful orange/amber color too. A local gem IMO!
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:58 am

PSUPappy wrote:I'll have to try that. I'm partial to Troegs, particularly Troegenator. Anybody ever do the tour of their Hershey brewery? I think about that every once in a while since they're close to us, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Pappy, you owe yourself a visit. The food is good, if not a little pricey, and the beer selections are delicious if you don't mind the extra hoppiness. I, too, am a fan of the Troegenator but the apv is somewhere around 9%. Two of those kicked my behind. Glad YoungMad was driving.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby PSUPappy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:57 pm

OK, thanks....gonna do the tour this year. MrsPappy shops in Hershey sometimes, so I 'm sure I can work,it so I don't have to drive. The Troegenator apv is the reason I drink it at home & it came in handy last fall while watching Jhn Dnvan's offense.
Life is good
PSUPappy

PreviousNext

Return to Free for All