It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:43 pm Advanced search

Beer Thread

Talk about everything and anything.

Beer Thread

Postby Blue&White » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:24 am

We had this on the old board and I don't recall anyone starting one here yet.

So, this weekend I picked up a case of Yuengling's Octoberfest. I was a little wary, I have to admit. I like Yuengling but I question whether they can really do specials. The guy at the distributor recommended it and I was pleasantly surprised. I find Octoberfest beers can be hit or miss and some of them are ridicously priced. But, this was really bang for the buck. I may buy a another case before the season ends.

Also time for the pumpkin beers. By me they were selling Imperial Pumpking for about $79 a case. That's a lot of coin for beer. But, I did pick up a 24 oz bottle of it. It was really good, one of the best pumpkin beers I've ever had. It's not a hot day, work on the yard and grab one kind of beer, though. It's a crisp night, sitting outside with a sweater kind of a beer. Really good but a case may be too much.

I love this time of year and the fall beers is just one of the many reasons. I love the weather change, the leaves turning color, cool nights. For me, fall is just the best.

Anyway, looking for more beer recommendations.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Re: Beer Thread

Postby PennState03Chris » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:19 pm

I'm having a Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin as I type this. Not too bad, not the greatest either.

Did you catch Newtown Beerfest this past Saturday?
PennState03Chris

Postby Blue&White » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:55 am

No, I was busy getting poison ivy. I may do the Yardley fest, though, assuming I didn't already miss it. Time just flies and I lose track of these things.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby appoo » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:43 pm

Just tried this year's Elysian Bifrost Winter Ale

Not too bad. I'll use a rating system. 10 = Southern Tier Pumpking. 1 = Natty Ice, Yuenglng = 5.

And I like Yuengling mind you, so that gives you a sense of my ratings.

With that in mind I give Bifrost a 6. Maybe a 5.5.

Elysian is a Seattle brewed beer, but they have a distributor in both PA and NJ - so I'm guessing you can find it in decent bottle shops.
appoo

Postby SouthernLion » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:23 am

Beer – a worthy topic. Colorado is the land of microbreweries – there are literally several hundred of them scattered throughout the mountains. I’ve sampled a number of their wares and enjoyed quite a few…the cool thing is that you could buy a different 6-pack every day for maybe the rest of your life and not come close to covering it all. Lots of wacky seasonals, too, I’ve noticed.

My favorite to date is Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout (brewed just a few blocks from Coors Field, btw). If you’re a stout guy, this is the one. This week I’ve got some Deschutes (Bend, OR) Obsidian Stout, also very good. I’ve recently tried Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro, which is a bit too sweet for my taste. Lots of fruit beers here – apple, blueberry, etc., again too sweetsie for me. Some local Oktoberfest pumpkin ale was decent (can’t remember the brewer); there seems to be zillions of pumpkins on the market right now.

I’m curious as to how many local beers show up on the East Coast; they darn sure didn’t appear in the deep South (I was thrilled to find Yueng Black & Tan in ‘bama). Link is to last weekend’s beerfest here in the Springs w/ the breweries represented. Anything look familiar?

http://www.allcoloradobeerfestival.com/ ... -brewers//
SouthernLion

Postby Blue&White » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:35 am

I don't know how many make it back east but I've at least heard of Left Hand breweries and have had some of their products, although I've never had the stout. I've also heard of Obsidian before, but also did not have the stout.

I'm with you on the fruity bears. Not for me. I once had the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat and I couldn't finish the bottle. I did used to like the Pete's Wicked Strawberry Blond, though, but I couldn't have more than 1 or 2 of them. Come to think of it, I haven't seen Pete's Wicked around in years. I guess they went out of business.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:57 am

I once had the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat and I couldn't finish the bottle.

Just the name of that beer makes me gag.

I'm old school. Water, malt (from barley), hops, and yeast. Period. If I want to taste cherry, I'll buy a Dr. Pepper.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby psudelco » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:00 pm

Oskar Blues, Great Divide, Left Hand, Deshutes, all make it to the Philly area plus tons more. The Philly area has exploded over the last decade with craft beers making it here because of the local beer scene. With Victory, Yards, Dogfish (DE), Stoudts, Iron Hill, Mackenzies, Flying Fish(NJ), Triumph, Nodding Head, Sly Fox etc breweries all in the area the beer scene is really good right now.
Not a fan of pumpkin beers or fruit flavored beers although I like mine nice and hoppy which many times do have citrusy notes but not overpowering.
psudelco

Postby Blue&White » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:10 pm

Don't like the fruit beers but there are some great pumpkin ales out there.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby hbendle » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:35 pm

I'm with you, not a big fan of the fruity. This fall, though, I tried Long Ireland Pumpkin Ale and Shipyard Pumpkinhead (from Maine) and liked both of them fairly well.
hbendle

Next

Return to Free for All