It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:16 am Advanced search

Cost of College and other fun things

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: Cost of College and other fun things

Postby Blue&White » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:44 pm

My parents went to City College of New York for $0 tuition and a few fees, plus books. Those days are long, long gone, I guess. I'm still hoping for this law, though. Sure, it's going to have predictable and widely known consequences that people will later claim were completely unintended, but if I can send my kids to college and only have to pay a fraction of it back, I'm all for it. Everyone else is getting theirs. It's about damn time people like me got ours. All I do is pay the bills. I'm eligible for almost no government programs. I can't even take advantage of writing off my wife's student loan debt because we earn too much money. I'm too rich to get any subsidy or benefit and too poor to afford things like college. That is the very definition of "middle class" I guess. This is the first thing I've seen proposed in a long tim that directly benefits people like me. So, I don't care about the costs, the impacts, or any of that other stuff. Not my f-ing problem. I absorb the cost for everyone else, so let everyone else take one for me for a change.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:53 pm

I think we all agree the best part is that I'll be retired by then and someone else will be "taking one for you". So there's that.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby SouthernLion » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:15 pm

Blue&White wrote:Everyone else is getting theirs. It's about damn time people like me got ours. All I do is pay the bills. I'm eligible for almost no government programs. I can't even take advantage of writing off my wife's student loan debt because we earn too much money. I'm too rich to get any subsidy or benefit and too poor to afford things like college. That is the very definition of "middle class" I guess. This is the first thing I've seen proposed in a long tim that directly benefits people like me. So, I don't care about the costs, the impacts, or any of that other stuff. Not my f-ing problem. I absorb the cost for everyone else, so let everyone else take one for me for a change.

I just got off the phone w/ my congressman, telling him "you know, BW's been taking it on the chin for all these years - can't you push this student debt law through for him?" He agreed to do his best, and asked if I thought you'd mind being on his donor list. Of course not, I assured him. So, everyone's happy! Oh, and you need to send him a thousand bucks by the first of the year. I talked him down from $5k.
SouthernLion

Postby Blue&White » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:22 pm

$1,000 would be money well spent if it meant my kids could walk away free from student loans after just 15 freaking years.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:45 pm

I agree. That's peanuts. It's probably less than the annual Equestrian Fee at most college's dressage facility. Horses eat a lot.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby reincarnatedlama » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:05 pm

Perhaps SL forgot to inform you that $1000 is a recurring fee
reincarnatedlama

Previous

Return to Free for All