It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:48 am Advanced search

Cost of College and other fun things

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: Cost of College and other fun things

Postby psu_dad » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:21 pm

I'm seriously considering having both my sons do associates degrees first at the local community college. We will see.

On one of my trips to Tempe when my youngest was at ASU, I ran into a young woman working at at car rental place who had such a plan. She wanted to go to ASU. She wasn't from Arizona, so she decided to work in Tempe for a couple of years to establish residency and avoid the higher non-resident tuition. She was also taking classes at a local community college, figuring she could transfer at least a year's worth of credits to ASU.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby gmay10 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:34 pm

I feel like you just started a story and I want to hear the ending. Did she ever make it to ASU? How many credits could she transfer? I have so many questions left unanswered! :)
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby gmay10 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:39 pm

One huge problem is that everyone wants to go to college. I know a TON of kids who went to college with me and finished about 2 years of school and that was it. To be honest, looking back, they were never college material in the first place. Their parents wanted them to go and they thought it was the right thing to do. Most of them should have gone to a trade, technical school, or they should have gotten an associates degree.
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby psu_dad » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:23 pm

I have no idea what happened to that young woman, but I admired her self-sufficiency.

I think she was chatty because she was from the NY/NJ area and was happy to talk to someone who sounded a little like her. She warned me to speak slower while I was in AZ or else no one would understand me.
:D

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:31 pm

We were just taking about this in another thread and then I spotted this article: The real reason college tuition costs so much

It doesn't actually answer the question but it does eliminate some of the arguments and make a few others.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:40 pm

... far from being caused by funding cuts, the astonishing rise in college tuition correlates closely with a huge increase in public subsidies for higher education.

Duh?

psu_dad

Postby SouthernLion » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:30 pm

Two, maybe three years ago I read an article that the Univ. of Minnesota system employed nearly two thousand administrators making at least six figures per year. I have no idea what extent the U of M "system" encompasses, but I can guarantee with my life that you could cut 75% of those positions and actual education would not suffer a bit. Sure, someone's ox would certainly be gored and perhaps shifts in the Department of Microaggression Prevention and Safe Space Maintenance would be an hour or two longer, but I believe the typical student's degree of enlightenment would not suffer a bit.
SouthernLion

Postby Blue&White » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:05 pm

That NYT article certainly implies that expansion of administrative salaries and positions is a big contributor to the cost of college. I have no problem believing that.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:43 pm

Inventing new positions to elevate a person that can't be given an enormous raise within guide lines is common in many governmental bodies, not all of course but too many. It happens in the corporate world as well. Our son told us he is in contention for one as they would like to keep him before he is hired away at a much higher wage by another company and the hierarchy won't approve a raise commensurate to all the things he is responsible to accomplish. Obviously we hope it is approved then he will be finally compensated for his wide array of duties added due to his competence and initiative. Sometimes that is the reason for the new position but more often it is the buddy system.
Carl Spackler

Postby Blue&White » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:45 am

University to buy $1 million football scoreboard with thrifty librarian’s money, outraging critics

Putting it here because it makes some valid points (I think) on the ever rising cost of higher education. And, for the record, put me in the camp of those who think it's wrong they would spend this money on a freaking scoreboard. That idea that this is ok because in the last 15 months of his life the donor started watching football is a pretty pathetic argument. I'm not up to "outrage" level, though, because people are so outraged about so many trivial things the word has just about lost all meaning. I don't think this is exactly trivial but it certainly doesn't rise to the level of "outrage". Put me down as "mildly miffed" over this one.

Btw, one thing in this article that was news to me:

Campus athletics have become a point of contention as college tuition continues to rise faster than inflation. Several universities around the country now charge mandatory fees to support athletic departments, The Post reported in November 2015. The biggest university athletics programs can generate huge revenue, but also spend large sums on expanding facilities, coaches, staff and other expenses.

The part I bolded was something I was unaware of. Now, that gets closer to the outrage level for me. It will probably get to full blown outrage in just over 2 years when my oldest starts college. I think we will be looking for a state school that does not have many athletic teams to support because I have zero intention of paying that subsidy.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

PreviousNext

Return to Free for All