It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:38 pm Advanced search

The "Rape Culture"/Sexual Assault in America

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: The "Rape Culture"/Sexual Assault in America

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:09 pm

I don't kwow what that means, make a sea change. How do we even do that? How does that work? It sounds like a great idea, but I have no idea how to influence that.

If I was a prosecutor, I'd try to do a better job prosecuting these types of cases, but even that doesn't mean you will get convictions.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:12 pm

You need a staff. I saw a documentary where a guy parted the Red Sea with one.

Mrs psu_dad: That was a movie, not a documentary..
Me: Fine.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:14 pm

psu_dad wrote:You need a staff. I saw a documentary where a guy parted the Red Sea with one.

Mrs psu_dad: That was a movie, not a documentary..
Me: Fine.

A movie about a documentary.

If you advertise, someone will answer the ad.....................Fonzie to Joanie as she wore suggestive clothing.

Common sense is a good way to go but it is apparently in short supply and back ordered.

Naked women walking up and down the street, unraped? Where is this place? Is it Xanadu? or Zanadue?

As I enter the golden years, the dentist and the periodontist cashed in on the billion dollar tooth. In a dicussion (war) with Aetna dental at the moment, they have paid nada so far but I believe I spoke to the only person employed by them with common sense, or may be one of two.

Son posted that he is engaged o facebook, word is out. You can to anything on facebook. Can you be sexually assaulted on facebook? ;) Answer: only in Michigan by place kickers who miss 50% in Beaver Stadium.

Daughter is training in self defense. She has this device that travels 1400 feet per second, faster then Usain Bolt, which throws out .380 dia. metal shavings and some lead. If properly guided it works every time. Dear old dad trained her. They call me Bwana. 8-)
Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914): "An election is nothing more than the advanced auction of stolen goods."
Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:33 pm

Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914): "An election is nothing more than the advanced auction of stolen goods."
Carl Spackler

Postby psu_dad » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:55 am

In case anyone missed it, four US Senators sent a letter to George Will, whacking him over the head with their Sword of Righteousness and Will essentially responded with the suggestion that the senators were FOS and the issue was more complicated than they were making it out to be. You can find these letters on the Washington Post web site. One thing Will said that I agree with is:

As for what you call my “ancient beliefs,” which you think derive from an “antiquated” and “counterintuitive” culture, allow me to tell you something really counterintuitive: I think I take sexual assault much more seriously than you do. Which is why I worry about definitions of that category of crime that might, by their breadth, tend to trivialize it. And why I think sexual assault is a felony that should be dealt with by the criminal justice system, and not be adjudicated by improvised campus processes.

Here are a couple of examples that support Will's assertion. There are countless others. They're easy to find.

http://www.thefire.org/sexual-assault-injustice-at-occidental-college-railroads-accused-student/

http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/shows/america-tonight/america-tonight-blog/2013/10/31/for-the-falsely-accusedmovingonfromrapistbrandingachallenge.html

Will has a point. College campus Kangaroo Courts bereft of due process are not the way to solve a problem as serious as sexual assault. Yet the administration is pressuring colleges to double down on this, taking the position that this is a simple black & white issue with only one side. It's an easy position to take, politically ... "Hey, you have to be on our side. What are you? Pro-rape!?" Unfortunately, it's not that simple ... and no amount of pandering will make it so.

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:11 pm

Like I said right off, the idea of government making universities accountable for criminal acts as well as mere accusations is problematic. And, those examples your linked are extremely worrying. That Will may have had a valid point doesn't offset his conclusion that women are crying rape fire the status of it.

There are some real issues, and while I agree the federal government isn't going to make it better by legislating responsibility to universities, pompous wind bags like Will who demean women who are actually attached isn't helping either.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:06 pm

His rhetoric diminished the valid point he was making. He can be a pompous twerp at times. This was one of them. I expect groups advocating for women to jump all over the rhetoric and ignore the point. That's what they do. It's a little disappointing to see the MSM and national politicians doing the same. Not surprising, just disappointing.

psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:48 pm

The politicians have a policy in place. Of course they are going to react to any challenge of it. They have fixed the problem. The media has taken shots from Will for years, so I'm not surprised that they would welcome the opportunity to take shots back at Will.

As for women's groups, regardless of what they may think of his larger point, of course they were going to react to his general comments. Suggesting that women were playing victim and exaggerating when they were actually victimized was not only a stupid thing to do, I think it showed that he is actually clueless about. He has a very valid point about who should be handling these issues and the fallacy of making universities responsible for criminal behavior, but his comment about the breadth of the scope of sexual assault was, at best, misguided.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby appoo » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:40 am

The issue is reporting, not judging. College campuses have zero jurisdiction in prosecuting alleged rapist. No one is asking college campuses to adjudicate rape cases. That's a huge straw man from Will.

White House presses college campuses to do more to fight rape

The entire push from the Obama administration has been about better reporting, better training to prevent/intervene, and more education. Literally nothing about asking Colleges to act as a court, nothing about holding them accountable for rape and sexual assault. Colleges, by law, have to report sexual assault crimes, and they don't always do that.

And a federal law from two decades ago that requires colleges and universities to disclose information about crime on and around their campuses, including sexual offenses, is rarely enforced, critics say.

There have been some high-profile instances in which the Department of Education has gotten involved in an effort to raise awareness by imposing fines at universities where the most egregious cases have been reported.

Last year, the agency fined Yale University $165,000 for failing to disclose four sexual offenses involving force over several years. Eastern Michigan University paid $350,000 in 2008 for failing to sound a campus alert after a student was sexually assaulted and killed. The department also reached a settlement last year with the University of Montana at Missoula after investigating the university’s sexual-misconduct policies and finding them woefully inadequate.

IF Will has a problem with the issue and proposals the White House has accordiung the NY Times article, fine. But he's arguing something that has zero to do with what the White House is actually saying, and it's pathetic. Don''t just make shit up as you go along. He's intentionally obfuscating what the White House is attempting. Because he knows he has no argument otherwise.
appoo

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:54 am

I noticed all the "big boy" universities that the NCAA made examples of in your post. UofM (Montana, not Michigan), Directional Michigan, Yale (big in education, not sports which is the main object of the NCAA) etc.

I seem to remember our own case involving Nat? He requested an extension of his sports eligibility and wasn't from a big boy school, denied.

As far as making excrement up the White House has a remarkable track record of doing just that so they should be sensitive when another emulates their efforts. I would expect a stern lecture aimed at Will filled with tilted eyebrows, grimacing, folded arms in a defensive manner and load of looking down the long nose toward Will as long as the teleprompters can be set that low since the prez is a rather tall man and the rules of geometry still are in force unless by another fiat the prez says they aren't.
Carl Spackler

PreviousNext

Return to Free for All