It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:12 am Advanced search

Politics

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: Politics

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:02 am

It is now being reported that the wiretap story reported on Fox by "a very talented legal mind" (according to fearless leader) was from a fake news story planted by the russians.

Being reported where? Is there a link?

To be honest, nothing would surprise me at this point. Did the Russians plant the story? Did the Brits listen in on Trump? If the goal here was to obfuscate everything, I'd say mission accomplished.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:13 am

Heard it this morning on Morning Joe. Scarborough walked through the "chain of events" that led to fearless leader's wiretap tweet storm. Joe claimed that the story was russian fake news plant.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:26 am

I did a quick google search. The story that identifies where the story came from was run by The New York Times and it seems last Friday Fox News completely retracted the story. And, after Fox retracted the story, Trump doubled down. I also saw his poll numbers are down to 37%. I'm not sure I believe polls at this point given how far off they were heading into the election, but I can't believe anyone but the die hard supporters are watching some of this and thinking "yep, this is exactly what I was hoping for".

I really don't understand why he's creating all this extra drama and unnecessary flack. He's really his own worst enemy. At first I thought there was some kind of scheme or strategy to all this, but now I'm not so sure. Now it's more like he's running a long-winded Andy Kaufman routine where the joke goes on for years and at the end either no one gets it or they get it but don't find it funny. I keep expecting Tony Clifton to show up at one of his press conferences and give a statement and sing a song.

The whole thing is just bizarre. And, now Comey has to testify before Congress today on this. I mean, how much time - and money - has been wasted on this already? And, how much has it taken away from things that really need to be get done. Of course, that last part maybe is the point of all this. Maybe he doesn't care how bizarre it all looks and it all plays into whatever his agenda is. I don't know.

I still think "Andy Kaufman-like routine" is the best explanation.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:37 am

Could be, but Tony Clifton had better hair. I also believe that trump rolled this out to distract from the whole Sessions/Russians campaign hanky-panky. His actions reek of the Nixonian tactics that attempted to short-circuit Watergate. I look forward to Comey's testimony on the Hill today. Call it wishful thinking, but I also look forward to impeachment charges before this jackass sets us back fifty years or more. As advertised, he is woefully unfit to be POTUS.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:42 am

I also believe that trump rolled this out to distract from the whole Sessions/Russians campaign hanky-panky.

Maybe. He is a master showman, no doubt. Is this part of a plan or is it total impulse control problems? The press is easily distracted by shiny objects, but it's not like the Russian stuff has been dropped yet. On the contrary, it's rolling along in the background.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Nat@PSU » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:11 am

I know many would dismiss the Washington Post as a liberal rag, but, nevertheless, I found this article interesting:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/03/20/the-white-house-serves-up-a-red-herring-on-russia/?utm_term=.f305c704a123
Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this clown.
:May the reign of our Dear Leader be short and inconsequential, much like his fingers."
Nat@PSU

Location: The Dystopia that used to be known as the United States of America

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:36 am

Trump is his own worst enemy and he and his team have handled this whole thing horribly. But, the fundamental point they are making is not wrong. The New York Times ran with a story about contacts between the Trump organization and Russian intelligence. They put it out with a scathing headline and buried in the story they acknowledged:
a) that the Trump organization included his businesses that were separate from his campaign;
b) there was zero evidence anything illegal or beyond basic business discussions took place; and
c) it wasn't clear if the Trump people realized they were talking to Russian intelligence agents.

They created an appearance of impropriety without having any actual facts to back it up. They sandbagged a new President with a lot of smoke. Now, to be fair, the Trump team has been far less than honest about their dealings with the Russians and that has made the whole thing look really shady, but that doesn't change the fact there has been, to this point, zero evidence presented that there was any collaboration between candidate Trump and his team and the Russians to impact the 2016 election. And, that's the point here. And, a lot of the Democrats officials are slowly backing off their accusations here.

This story was thrown out with no substance and no facts and I take it as agenda driven and not journalistic driven. The Times and the Post should be ashamed of the way they have managed this story, and this OpEd you linked from the Post is just them trying to cover their ass. Yes, they are right that Trump made a bold faced accusation on the wiretapping stuff and the press has been far less absolute in their coverage of the "alleged" Russian conspiracy. But, that only matters when you read the whole story. When you read the headlines, or just the first couple of paragraphs, if even that much - something the press are well aware is the norm with American readers - the impact is the same. They can't throw the red meat into the arena and say "hey, it's not my fault the lion was hungry".

I hate Trump. I think he is shaping up to be the biggest disaster this country has ever seen and he's going to bend over and ream the very people who propelled him into office. His budget and the health care plan they are pushing is going to really screw the very people who most believed in him. And, that is where the focus should be, not on imaginary bullshyte.

I feel the same way about the Russian story that I do about Trump's wiretap claims - it's time to put up or shut up. Actually, it is well past that time.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:49 am

I think he is shaping up to be the biggest disaster this country has ever seen

Based on what? He hasn't accomplished anything yet. Biggest clown show, perhaps, but that's not the same thing.

Carter's administration, on the other hand, wasn't a clown show. He was a fairly measured and thoughtful guy. But his presidency was a complete disaster. His own party turned on him. He (and McGovern before him) convinced the Democrats that they needed to rig their primaries in the future.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:21 pm

Based on his proposals and the things that he will impact. His budget knocks out a lot of spending on scientific activity, and other programs that I think provide real help to people so we can continue to pay off military contractors. And, while it hasn't passed yet, I think a lot of those proposals will stick. Not all, but many. We will see.

As for rigging the primary, I wouldn't be surprised if you see some of that come from the Republicans after this.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby LioninVa » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:00 pm

I don't know how anyone can defend POTUS at this point. The faithful base still do, but they can't see the forest for the trees... Granted, _dad is correct in that nothing has been accomplished short of some executive orders. He proposes to cut a lot of fluff from the budget; like the National Endowment for the Arts; which costs less than what we have spent to send him on weekend golfing excursions to his place in Florida already. He has proven that the buck no longer stops in the Oval Office. He has filled (or started to fill) his cabinet with high dollar donors/friends of The Donald that are turning the clock back possibly decades if not centuries (I am hearing arguments that the Earth is flat; I shit you not!) rather than draining the swamp. And if there is anything to the Russia story, which very well may be a ruse, when combined with the nutjob in North Korea, we could very well be on the verge of another war; hopefully cod rather than hot.

All these guys who have invoked the name and spirit of Ronald Reagan really have him spinning in his grave.
LioninVa

PreviousNext

Return to Free for All