It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:50 am Advanced search

Politics

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: Politics

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:28 pm

... practical issues like infrastructure, immigration reform / border control, and fiscal discipline will ever get addressed.

I think the first one has some chance of being addressed. The second one has little chance. The philosophical differences are too deep. The last one has no chance. Monkeys will come flying out of everyone's bum before that happens.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:29 pm

Thanks for posting that link, Lama.

Some people don't know when to keep their mouths shut. But, I disagree with the notion that we shouldn't politicize events like this. Part of what the political process is supposed to do is assess ad react to these sort of incidents. If they can't /won't, what's the point? No one gets this better than Trump. He's the king of seizing that moment.

I'm not suggesting every mass shooting should generate outraged tweets from the knucklehead crowd, but I'm not particularly bothered if people use this to further a political agenda in a specific issue.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby LioninVa » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:15 pm

A high profile shooting (and it pains me to type that phrase) will probably always stir up the gun control discussion. And there is nothing wrong with that, provided it is well reasoned which we all know it most certainly is not.

My issue is with the broad brushstrokes that get applied. Some crazy Maddow loving Bernie support does something bad and all us left leaning libtards are responsible for it. Just like all you warmongering gun lovers are responsible for that congressman who bodyslammed a reporter a few weeks ago. Lama probably stated it better than I ever could, but that is nothing new...
LioninVa

Postby reincarnatedlama » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:07 pm

Correct LioninVa - there is a distinct difference between trying to initiate constructive dialogue, for example, do we need to examine laws pertaining to high capacity weapons - do we need to do mental health background checks for firearm purchases and looking for political "payback" by hypocritically stereotyping a group based on the gunmen's behavior (when you criticized the left for doing this) or the tweet in the linked article in which a person entered the control issue but completely misrepresented the facts about Virginia gun laws.

IMO this is why identity politics is so dangerous - it foments an us vs them mentality in which the problem isn't we disagree on the approach or solution to an issue - the problem is the other side is a bunch of immoral skells bent of our sides destruction.
Making America Great Again
reincarnatedlama

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:01 pm

Get used to it. It's going to get worse. Much worse.

As a country, we're like an unhappy couple whose disagreements are further exacerbated by looming financial peril. Ozzie & Harriet Land is not on our horizon.

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:54 am

Trump gives son's wedding planner top Housing job

I get that the media hysteria of this guy is a tad over the top, but do you think that, just maybe, doing things like this is part of the problem? Seriously, how is this even remotely justified? This woman is going to oversee a budget that's in the billions. When money starts vanishing - and you know money is going to do just that - how do you think that is going to go over? What do think the media take is going to be on that? I know very little about HUD but fully assume there is a consistent level of fraud in their financial disbursements. If that number starts trending over whatever the average is, you can be positive that there will be blood in the water.

Similar to how Trump managed to turn the Russian thing into a legitimate investigation, he's once again creating a potential headache for himself. Why does no one stop him? I mean, are they all that stupid that they can't see how bad this looks? Are they all just so afraid of him that they can't say the emperor has no clothes? Or, does he just really not listen?
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby LioninVa » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:14 am

I saw something about that HUD position but haven't looked into it yet.

Yes, the hysteria is over the top. But when you have a character like this, it is difficult to ignore. I agree that The Donald's actions are a big part of the problem but I don't see it going away because he likes the attention. For him, any press (even fake) is good press because it strokes his massive ego. I also think that Rep Ryan was correct, although it doesn't justify anything, when he said that the president is new at this. But he was only partly correct because the president and/or his advisors know how to act and what is appropriate and what is not. Ok, the advisors should know; maybe not Jared, but there are people in the building who have to know haw to act. Trump doesn't want to hear from them unless they are stroking his ego. I think it all comes down to that. Sad.
LioninVa

Postby reincarnatedlama » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:42 am

If Trump were a two six gun slinging wild west cowboy six shots would miss the target wildly, two would hit the target and four would go into his feet.

Again - his scorched earth campaign created a media and mainstream political body that has a flat out vendetta to undermine and remove him from office. He certainly doesn't need to toss them bones to gnaw on but he does. His problem being - since he made an enemy of everyone in Washington not only will no one defend him - they all want to pile on. Every recent president had (IMO) a far greater hand in a far bigger scandal (questionable intel that drew us into Iraq war with Bush, Fast and Furious with Obama). We've hit upon it but the Clintons and Loretta Lynch clearly did more to obstruct justice in the investigation into Hillary than anything we've seen Trump do. But Trump doesn't have anyone to fight his battles - Obama and Bush had their party firmly in pocket so they didn't have go down in the mud every time someone chucked Emmert at them. On top Obama had a fawning media on top it. Trump trying to accomplish they same thing via Twitter.

As I have said before - I strongly disagreed with the ideology of Obama and at times he was definitely a straight up typical partisan politician - but take away his politics and he had an agreeable personality. Assuming you were at a PSU tailgate and nobody talked politics you can say he's a guy you could have beers with, talk sports and enjoy the afternoon. DT is not a likeable guy - you would avoid him at a tailgate because his BS and bragging would turn you off - about the only benefit he might bring is he show up in a fully loaded RV with great food and booze and a 52" screen TV built into the side of the RV. Hillary is equally unlikable - you'd tire of her attention seeking and phoniness plus she bring nothing to the tailgate and just drink your beer and eat your last brat.

With all that said if the media and beltway push a Trump impeachment without more than they've show to date they will regret the day - about 50% of people who did vote supported him and primarily because he wasn't the people who are currently forming the posse to hang him. You also set precedent - many politicians have done far worse than Trump and not been run down like this - in the future the mob will want the same treatment that Trump is receiving when whoever steps over line.

I guess if you wanted gridlock you're happy because nothing is getting done because the kindergarteners in Congress forgot they are supposed to be working on real problems instead of engaging in non-stop partisan bickering over Trump constantly.
Making America Great Again
reincarnatedlama

Postby psu_dad » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:48 am

I know very little about HUD

I believe HUD's charter is to take taxpayer money, arrange it in a pile, douse it with gasoline and then set it on fire. Based on countless articles I've read over the decades, they execute their charter exceptionally well.

psu_dad

Postby Shore Lion » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:42 pm

I work with HUD funds in my job. Now we only get a few hundred thousand a year but I can tell you that in our case, it is very easy to track where every dime of the money goes that we are allocated. This is reported every single year. This is for the Community Development Block Grant program. There are myriad other HUD programs as well. I can say that HUD funds do an awful lot of good in communties across the nation, including a lot of rural places that people don't typically think of when considering HUD. They can strengthen communities and improve the local economcy as well as help folks who truly can't help themselves. All that aside, the level of pure bureaucracy is amazing. I know some folks at the federal level who literally work their asses off. Unfortunately, a lof of that is because there are as astounding number of HUD employees who are completely worthless. There is massive waste at HUD and I'd love to see an overhaul of the whole system. But throwing the baby out with the bathwater but proposing to essentially eliminate CDBG and other programs is incredibly short-sighted and I believe detrimental to the country as a whole.
Shore Lion

PreviousNext

Return to Free for All