It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:54 am Advanced search

Politics

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: Politics

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:56 pm

With all that said if the media and beltway push a Trump impeachment without more than they've show to date they will regret the day - about 50% of people who did vote supported him and primarily because he wasn't the people who are currently forming the posse to hang him. You also set precedent - many politicians have done far worse than Trump and not been run down like this - in the future the mob will want the same treatment that Trump is receiving when whoever steps over line.

I'm not a fan of pushing for an impeachment based on nothing, but I'm not sure I agree with your conclusion. The Clinton impeachment was the result of a massive witch hunt and we've not had the kind of fallout you suggested after that. And, if ever there was a moment to impeach a President, it was the entire Iraq fiasco. The whole thing was built on a lie. We sent American servicemen to war, and in over 5,000 instances to die, over something that was completely fabricated. The US committed the exact crime that we hung people for following the trials at Nuremburg after WWII, and no one really said "boo" to Bush about it. So, I'm not so sure that pushing Trump out will create a new norm. Especially if his poll numbers remain so incredibly low.

What's funny about the Trump thing is his complaint is exactly right: they started with nothing and now he's given them something to go after him with. But, who's fault is that? And, the longer Mueller is in there digging, the more likely it is he's going to find something. Trump and his business dealings are definitely shady, and I would be astounded if there was not something to be dredged up that could be used to take him down. And, the precedent for that type of investigation was set with Clinton.

For those who don't recall, the special prosecutor for Clinton, Ken Starr, was originally appointed to investigate the whole White Water allegations as well as the suicide of Vince Foster, That was in Clinton's first term, and I think Monica Lewinsky was still in high school. But, once it got rolling, it just never ended. They gave that office carte blanche to keep digging and digging until, finally, they hit pay dirt. That is the precedent that should bother Trump. The only thing he has going for him right now is that the Republicans hold power and they are less likely to empower Mueller to keep digging until he finds something. But, that could potentially change in January of 2018.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby LioninVa » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:11 pm

It's almost as if you have to turn your brain in, or long term memory at least, when you enter the beltway. Time and again I see evidence of representatives or other appointed officials saying something that directly contradicts what they said in other similar situations as well as them having no apparent recollection of historic events. I would think these folks would have at least picked up some cliff notes on Watergate and the Starr Report...

And, Assistant AG Rosenstein is now hinting that he will recuse himself in the Russia investigation. He is the guy Trump threw under the bus in a tweet this morning, I think.
LioninVa

Postby psu_dad » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:23 pm

There is massive waste at HUD and I'd love to see an overhaul of the whole system. But throwing the baby out with the bathwater but proposing to essentially eliminate CDBG and other programs is incredibly short-sighted and I believe detrimental to the country as a whole.

I suspect the likelihood of either an "overhaul" of HUD or the elimination of CDBGs is extremely low. Zero, for all practical purposes. HUD will keep plodding along, like Godzilla deflecting bullets from hapless Japanese ground troops. The regular incidents involving waste/fraud/abuse will occur and get 24 hours on the news cycle. When that happens, they'll be a "harumph" or two from some politicians and mostly a bored "so what's new?" resignation from the public.

There's always going to be poor people, they're always going to need assistance and no politician with half a brain is going to risk career suicide by going after HUD with anything more serious than a "harumph".
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:36 pm

Apparently, after not winning a single seat in the special congressional run-offs just held to replace members of Congress who took jobs in the Trump administration, some Democrats are starting to say that, just maybe, Nancy Pelosi should not be the face of the party heading into the 2018 midterms.

My reaction - in honor of the wonderful, recently passed, Adam West is as follows: Holy obvious observations, Batman!

I mean, seriously? Maybe she shouldn't be head of the party? Between her and Hillary they've driven the thing into a crater, backed it up, and then drove it off a cliff. How is a change in leadership even a question? I can't believe anyone even needs to suggest it.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:41 pm

After 5 months of non-stop MSM hammering of the current administration, the Democrats still went 0-for-4 in these elections. It' probably not a bad thing for them to consider the possibility that Russian hackers may not be the main reason they're on the outside looking in. Maybe it's because they really really suck.

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:23 am

They all suck. And, they lost 4 elections in heavily Republican areas and they exceeded expectations in each case. I have no idea what that really means in terms of their ability to win in 18 but it's not the horror show it looks like. But, whatever gains they made I'm pretty sure had more to do with how much people hate Trump vs. anything they have to say. Pelosi is a polarizing figure, almost as bad as Trump. If they have any sense at all, they will get rid of her. They may not win once she's gone but I think it will be a whole lot harder to win with her there. Or, maybe not. A lot can happen - good and bad - between now and November 18.

Absent some kind of terrorist attack in the US, the new health care bill looks likely to be the make-or-break issue for the midterms. Writing it in secret like that is a pretty sure way to make sure there is a ton of suspicion about it. The utter lack of transparency was a really dumb, and indefensible, thing to do. Several Republicans are already saying they will not vote for it unless there is ample time for it to be reviewed and their constituents have time to review it and let their concerns be known. The only constituents these guys generally worry about are the ones who donate large amounts of money. So, comments like that make me think the Republicans are concerned of getting voted out over this.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby LioninVa » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:43 am

Getting out over the new and secret health care bill is a real concern for many of them. Maybe not so much in the states that always vote GOP, but if a newcomer Dem can compete in a strongly conservative district in GA, all bets are off for a lot of other regions as well. I have to admit that I don't pay much attention to other areas representatives unless they are some sort of constant presence on issues. And it doesn't really matter what I think of them as they don't represent my district. As for who would be good to take Pelosi's place, maybe that is the only reason I need to follow more of them, but I can't imagine there are too many in congress that are as polarizing as she is.
LioninVa

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:16 am

Several Republicans are already saying they will not vote for it unless there is ample time for it to be reviewed and their constituents have time to review it and let their concerns be known.

That's not how you pass a health care bill. Why don't they just blow smoke up people's skirts about how great it's going to be? That worked last time.

psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:51 am

That's not how you pass a health care bill. Why don't they just blow smoke up people's skirts about how great it's going to be? That worked last time.

You obviously haven't paid any attention to how Trump has been talking about this bill, because he's been doing exactly what you describe.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby LioninVa » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:16 am

Except for the one time he said it was cruel, B-Dub! He must have been off his meds that afternoon. Or, maybe, on them?

Anyway, it seems that our thought or opinions on this, and many other politically oriented, issues are a broken record. We all know it is the same old same old, or possibly the negative image of last time around. When politico are called on it, the do their best Kellyanne impersonations.

If there was a way to actually vote all of these asshats out next time around, I would be all in. Sadly, most of us seem to think that it is everyone else's representative who is the problem...
LioninVa

PreviousNext

Return to Free for All