It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:44 am Advanced search

Bill Cosby

Talk about everything and anything.

Bill Cosby

Postby Blue&White » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:30 am

So, just got back late last night after being on the road all week, and was reading a little bit about this story. All I can say is "WOW!".

I've never met Bill Cosby but, based on at least his public personoa, he was one of the last people I thought would be drugging women and basically raping them. There are now over a dozen women accusing him and it looks like that list is going to continue to grow. This may have been going on since the 60s.

He deserves his day in court, but I'd say his reputation, and legacy, are now ruined. And, what's most amazing is I've been reading that women have been making accusations and pushing for charges for a decade and no one did anything about it.

Really amazing. Oh well. So much for the Coz.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Re: Bill Cosby

Postby PennState03Chris » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:41 am

Saw one report that a good number of women complained and filed suit back in 2005, but that suit was reportedly settled out of court. I don't remember hearing about that at the time.
PennState03Chris

Postby gmay10 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:19 pm

What a douchebag. I cannot believe his wife is still with him. I remember this coming out back in 2005 but cannot believe it took a viral video of a comedian calling Cosby a rapist at a Philadelphia show that got this finally into the limelight. I wonder if charges can still be filed or if the statue of limitations has been reached. Either way, he should be done and blacklisted.
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby Blue&White » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:39 pm

I just saw the number of women accusing him is up to 20. Jeez.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:29 am

Hung jury. Looks like the Cos dodged a bullet. At least for now. Seems the DA is willing to give it another shot.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby reincarnatedlama » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:54 am

It's good to have a really big pile of cash in the event you ever have to go on trial. IMO there are definitely parallels to the Sandusky case - a high profile person with a good public reputation accused of sexual assault over an extended period of time involving grooming / predatory behavior with the majority of accusations happening a significant time ago with there being a significant number of accusers who tell a very similar story.

Big difference - Cosby has as much money as the day is long in Barrow, Alaska on the summer solstice. Sandusky may have found his guys in the Yellow Pages or on Craigslist. Another big difference - Cosby was able to delay the proceeding forever and he ain't on his way to prison.
Making America Great Again
reincarnatedlama

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:25 am

I think another big difference is Sandusky was accused of molesting children and Cosby was accused of drugging and raping grown women who waited years before saying anything. Personally, I think the women were silent for so long for the same reasons the kids were, but it's easier to paint the women in a negative light than the kids. The kids you can't ever go after because that will always backfire on you.

I also think that Cosby has been a beloved national figure for so long and people equate him with his TV persona. It's hard to separate that. Sandusky didn't have that. He was known as a football coach but most people didn't know much about him, personally. And, finally, a grown woman can consent. A kid never can. So, with Sandusky, any admission or proof that he had sexual contact with a minor and it's over. With Cosby, he can always go with the "well, she wanted it" defense, and that she didn't say anything for a decade or so is proof. I think that's a bogus argument, but I can see a juror thinking that way.

Cosby was a tougher case to prove. But, your comment about a big pile of cash is spot on. If it were one of us, we most likely would be in jail already.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby reincarnatedlama » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:44 am

I agree it's way tougher for a defense lawyer to attack a child victim vs and adult (although in his trial all the victim's in Sandusky's trial were by that point adults). Sandusky obviously didn't have the national recognition and profile as Cosby but in terms of public persona - he was certainly well known and in a positive manner in Centre County which is where the jury was pulled.

I would say another difference in Cosby's favor was only two accuser's testified. If all 50-60 women who accused Cosby testified about his behavior he might fall under the weight - "he said - she said" is way different than "he said - she said - she said - she said - she said ........". What helped sink Sandusky was repeated victims testifying to the same behavior - at a certain point the conspiracy / false accusation falls with repeated victims.
reincarnatedlama

Postby Blue&White » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:49 am

That's a good point. Cosby is alleged to have done this for years and to dozens of women, but only 2 of them showed up to testify. It makes it a bit easier to dismiss their stories. With Sandusky, it was just a parade of people - who didn't know each other and had no obvious reason to lie - coming out and telling similar stories. And, while the victims were all adults when they testified, it's still really tough to attack their credibility and you can never argue the consented.

Frankly, I'm still surprised that Cosby got off. Given the number of women who came forward it's tough to believe he isn't guilty. But, I guess until and unless they are willing to testify in open court about it, it didn't really happen. At least not as a consideration to a jury.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby reincarnatedlama » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:17 am

I think the judge limited the number of additional accusers beyond the primary accuser for which charges were being brought to one - so prosecution wasn't allowed to "bring the parade".
Given Cosby had basically testified in a deposition admitting giving women drugs (and ones known to basically make some one incapacitated) and then engaged in sexual conduct I can't believe he didn't get convicted either - be interesting to know how many jurors wouldn't convict. But credit his legal team - obviously when they did the jury selection they found someone open to their "reasonable doubt".
reincarnatedlama

Return to Free for All