It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:38 pm Advanced search

These Are A Few Of My Favorite Peeves...

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: These Are A Few Of My Favorite Peeves...

Postby Blue&White » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:42 am

Everyone in Pittsburgh suffers from brain damage. Every single person. It's a known fact. I can't believe you would rely on someone with a mental deficiency like that.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:43 am

I may actually barf.

No one should squirt ketchup on a hot dog after the age of 18, say officials at the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council, part of the American Meat Institute. "You have to grow up sometime," says council president Janet Riley in her . Hot Dog Etiquette video.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby reincarnatedlama » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:50 am

Pitt - I won't judge your dog choices - I was just trying to draw an analogy of the strong emotions that having a drop top evokes for me to the majority of people on this board who consider your condiment choice a mortal sin.

They've got you on the 7th level of hell, since I've eschewed ketchup and just eat them plain now I think I've climbed up a couple levels of Hades.

I have not been without a drop top vehicle (Mustang or Wrangler) since I was in my mid 20s and it's staying that way until they take away my license.
Making America Great Again
reincarnatedlama

Postby Blue&White » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:57 am

I felt that way about manual transmissions. I bought a new car in January and it was the first automatic I have ever purchased for myself. I had one other automatic in my life - a 1985 Toyota Camry that I had my first year of law school. It was my dad's car and he gave it to me after my college car died (I was lucky the heap lasted as long as it did). It was wrecked a few months after I got it when the neighbor's kid drove into it in the dead of night and totaled it. My dad let me have the insurance money and gave me a small loan and I bought a '88 2 door Accord coupe 5 speed. and I have not driven an automatic since - until January.

The sad reality is that find a stick is getting harder and harder. They don't make many of them anymore, and you either have to get the lowest model of a car that is made or get a sports car (or, I guess, a jeep). I was considering a Toyota 86/Subaru BRZ (same car, 2 manufacturers) but decided I'd look kind of silly in that. So, I went with an Acura and they no longer come in stick. It pains me to have an automatic but it is what it is.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:06 am

The re-sale value is also bad. No one wants them. My current 5-speed Honda is probably my last.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby reincarnatedlama » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:15 am

My first Jeep was stick and I would say the two negatives were when you got stuck in gridlocked traffic and clutches wearing out.
I think with people tending to be more distracted these days (i.e. phones) probably best sticks are disappearing.
Making America Great Again
reincarnatedlama

Postby LioninVa » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:21 am

The Forrester is a manual 5-speed, not sure if I already mentioned that. My Colorado is a base model with a 6-speed manual that I tried to teach my son to drive. He could get it moving but we lacked the space to get past 4th gear where he was learning and he didn't want to go into traffic. He asked my why anyone would want to drive like that. Now that he has seen the car, he has decided it is time to learn to drive like a man. (Of course, his mother taught me way back when)

I'm not worried about resale value at this point. We have decided that the cars we have now will be the ones we drive until they no longer can. I'm sick of car payments!

Just saw your post, Llama. We will be upgrading the car stereo as my son likes 'his' music rather than the radio. We think having Bluetooth is worthwhile in this case.
LioninVa

Postby Blue&White » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:38 am

psu_dad wrote:The re-sale value is also bad. No one wants them. My current 5-speed Honda is probably my last.

Yes, resale value is bad but there is a demand for them and the scarcity makes them easy to move. Case in point: when I bought this car in January I had to break a lease (as a side note - I HATE leasing). I had 18 months to go on it and it almost killed the deal because getting out of a lease with that much time left isn't always easy. I had 2 things going for me - I put more than 2X the amount down than was required (to reduce the lease payments to a pittance) and the car was a stick. They ended up buying it outright because their used car guy said he couldn't keep sticks in stock. People came in looking for them and didn't care about much else. Granted, that wouldn't have been enough if the buy out on the car wasn't low enough, but it seemed to make a difference.

Lama - driving a stick in gridlock never, ever bothered me. As for having to replace the clutch, sure, it's a pain, but I just viewed it as maintenance. Same as having to replace the belts, the tires, the breaks, etc. If you catch it early enough it's not crazy expensive. And, if you know how to drive a stick then a clutch should last you ~100,000 miles.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Shore Lion » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:08 pm

I had a 1994 Jeep Cherokee that was the best vehicle (from an operational/maintenance standpoint) that I've ever owned. That 4 liter engine was a beast, it was a 6 with a manual transmission. I sold it because of financial necessity in 2010 and it had over 275,000 miles on it. And the clutch was still the orginal. I'm pretty proud of that so I just thought I'd share!
Shore Lion

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:03 pm

psu_dad wrote:I may actually barf.

No one should squirt ketchup on a hot dog after the age of 18, say officials at the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council, part of the American Meat Institute. "You have to grow up sometime," says council president Janet Riley in her . Hot Dog Etiquette video.

So, you bozos really believe you can shame me into giving up the red stuff on my dog?.....you'll have to pry that ketchup bottle from my cold, dead fingers before that'll happen. And I'm supposed to take advice from a guy who makes a career out of promoting meat?....what's his motto?....."our meat can't be beat!" ? I don't think so.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

PreviousNext

Return to Free for All