It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:39 pm Advanced search

These Are A Few Of My Favorite Peeves...

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: These Are A Few Of My Favorite Peeves...

Postby psu_dad » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:56 pm

The American Meat Institute is a venerable institution, like the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) or the Sons of Katie Elder (SKE).

Mrs psu_dad: Isn't that a John Wayne movie?
Me: What's your point?
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby gmay10 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:03 pm

Pet peeve- I have to get on a highway to get to my job. This morning I was behind someone trying to merge onto the highway. No big deal because it happens everyday. Except this asshat in the merge lane and the asshat in the right lane start to dance until both of them almost come to a complete stop. I am behind them and I just lay on the horn because they could have caused an accident. The merge lane is the merge lane. The cars in the right lane should just drive or move to the left name (I am not always a fan of this) and let the merge lane figure out their speed they need to carry to merge onto a highway. BTW- if you get your car up to 60-65 MPH before you have to merge, merging can be a lot easier:) I can get a little impatient with idiot drivers!!
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby Carl Spackler » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:35 am

99% of the motorists I encounter do not know how to drive or the rules of the road.

NO one knows what the word YIELD means. Many do not know what the word STOP means. Most do not know what to do when the yellow light illuminates and the same subset are clueless when the yellow stops and the red appears, generally because a cell phone is stuck in their ears or they are texting or they are a clueless, ignorant jerk (90%). Best yet is when the green light illuminates and the sit there ........... for seemingly hours......... then someone beeps their horn and they immediately produce the middle finger out the rear or side window.

Young men between the ages of 18 and 39 driving pick up trucks think they personally own the road and your presence is not an inconvenience but a nuisance to be run over or pushed off the highway. They also do not know what the word "muffler" means and do not use the device. They remove it and substitute a piece of chrome pipe making a noise that cancels any other sound within 2 miles. This is in direct opposition to the boom box stereo maniac who has his amp maxed out and his car shakes from the distortion. He leaves this monstrosity on, wide open while pumping gas, then slowly walking into the service station, car door hanging wide open to make sure everyone hears his substitute to music and grabs his beer, coffee, lottery tickets, pint of milk, dog food, cat food, parrot food, moose food, etc. This takes twenty minutes while his car is taking up a place beside a gas pump. I do not enjoy this person or his counter part, remove the noise but continue all the ignorant, discourteous actions described.

Turn signals are optional, that is if the driver knows they exist.

Amish buggies compete in a contest where they camouflage the buggy when driving at night so you can't possibly see it until you are within 50 feet of it. The less lights the better, no lights are best. No reflector stickers or signs. The Bishop told them reflectors are sinful. Of course they do have a cell phone, an I Pad, cigarettes, drugs, and other sinful items that the outside world do not know they participate in.

That is enough driving peeves for today.
Carl Spackler

Postby Blue&White » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:41 am

Most do not know what to do when the yellow light illuminates

What does a yellow light mean? Slow down.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Carl Spackler » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:47 am

Floor it.

No, it means caution. A word not in the drivers of the USA lexicon.

Caution? My stars! Never heard of it. What does it mean? Floor it in russian?
Carl Spackler

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:36 pm

Yes, it translates to "bedder ged dee fuke oudda my way, comrade, or is yur azz". There, it makes me feel better when I can be of assistance.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby psu_dad » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:27 pm

What's fun are those spots where people are merging their way onto major highway X from major highway Y at the same spot in which people are trying to exit major highway X to get onto major highway Y. During rush hour, i't's mostly people cutting each other off at 2 MPH and flipping each other the bird. But at normal travel speed, it resembles the movie Death Race 2000.

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Shore Lion » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:39 pm

Those interchanges are no longer the norm. But there are still a ton of them. We call that "the weave". It worked okay when we had far fewer cars on the roads but with so many more cars there just isn't enough pavement for all those movements to occur easily. One of just many examples of how our infrastructure is lagging behind and needs to be redesigned.

It also doesn't help that merging is a lost art. I am constantly amazed how many drivers never turn their heads when changing lanes. Just put on a blinker (if you're lucky) and go seems to be the way to do it these days. I watch other drivers and so many hardly ever look behind them. For that matter they also don't look any further ahead than the rear bumper of the car in front of them either. And finally, yield doesn't mean stop. Damn that drives me crazy. Some old bird will just plain stop on an on-ramp. So unsafe. I'd rather get up to speed on the shoulder than to be sitting at a dead stop with trucks going by at 70 mph. It's called an acceleration lane for a reason.
Shore Lion

Postby psu_dad » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:43 pm

Those interchanges are no longer the norm. But there are still a ton of them.

There's one in MA where the two busiest highways in the state intersect (US-95 and US-93). According to the insurance industry, it produces more accident reports than any other spot in the state.

And we still have many rotaries, which are also a Barrel of Laughs.

psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:13 pm

And we still have many rotaries, which are also a Barrel of Laughs.

Jersey was the King of circles. They were freaking everywhere. Most of them are gone, but there are still a few left. There used to be one near where I grew up on Highway 9 (yes, that Highway 9) in Freehold, right by the historic Freehold Raceway. It was built by the original colonists to the area in the late 1690s and expected to handle 2 or 3 horse-and-buggy's every couple of hours. By the mid-1980s the traffic density, and the speed of traffic, had increased slightly. There were many accidents in that circle and more than a few fatalities. It took an 18 month old civil works project to get rid of it.

The other thing Jersey was famous for was Jug Handles. When I learned to drive back in the mid 1980s, we were taught that in NJ two wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights did make a left. Jug Handles are still a thing in many parts of NJ and every now and again you will see someone stopped in a left lane with their left blinker on and it's a wonder they don't killed. NJ people aren't know for waiting patiently while out-of-staters try to commit suicide by crossing 3 lanes of opposing traffic so they can pull into a Ground Round.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

PreviousNext

Return to Free for All