It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:06 pm Advanced search

These Are A Few Of My Favorite Peeves...

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: These Are A Few Of My Favorite Peeves...

Postby psu_dad » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:21 pm

One thing my wife likes about Jersey is the law against self-service gas pumping. For reasons I don't completely understand, she HATES pumping her own gas. It makes her day to pull off the Garden State Parkway and top off the tank.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:37 pm

What's interesting about that is, prior to a couple of months ago when the gas tax was raised, NJ was in the bottom quarter of gas prices in the US. It wasn't South Carolina cheap but was cheaper than the price of gas in the vast majority of the US. And, unlike in the rest of the US, they had to pay several people to pump the gas.

Then Christie and the state legislator raised the gas tax by like $0.22/gallon and just killed the pricing.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:23 pm

Wife pet peeve. I spent the better part of two years remodeling the house. Basically gutted it and built an addition. I did a lot of the work myself and incorporated many ideas my wife came up with for the addition. The rub?.....she says the addition is my room because I spend the most time in it and designed it the way a man would design a room. So, she decided that she needs a family room in the basement. I suggested that she hire a contractor and wished her best of luck with "her" room. So she did. But as the project moves forward, I get sucked into taking on more and more of the work. This ànnoys me because we didn't need the additional space, and I am just tired of renovations that are taking a physical and mental toll on me. I think she is trying to kill me. That is all.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby LioninVa » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:36 pm

Wow. My wife wants to renovate the house but we don't have the money right now. She grew up in a family that was pretty well off and my folks struggled early on, so its different for her right now. She just wants to knock out a load bearing wall to open up the kitchen and remodel the bathroom. I would like to see that too, but need to pay off her SUV and a few other things first.
LioninVa

Postby psu_dad » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:38 pm

All women are taught that the First Rule of Wifehood is: Male physical labor is an inexhaustible resource that should be tapped whenever possible.

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:04 pm

That's the 2nd rule, dad. The first rule is: money grows on trees and is an inexhaustible resource that should be spent whenever possible.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:24 pm

I very fortunate, Mrs. Spackler was raised poor as was I so neither of us have grandiose standards of living inbred. Mrs. Spackler's family brags about how "little" they paid for Christmas presents at the gathering, it's quite interesting to observe. She always looks for value and thrift.

And she doesn't expect anything from me physically (discretion prohibits an accounting of all factors) in remodeling, etc. Carl owns the agronomy and horticulture outside the four walls though and operation of the fireplace insert and firewood falls to Carl. My physical limitations are a factor but the Mrs. is not demanding.
Carl Spackler

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:48 pm

My wife grew up with parents who had money. My wife likes to claim she's thrifty but, trust me, she ain't.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:52 pm

My wife is like Carl's. She grew up poor and has modest material wants. But her ideas for things we (meaning I) should do around the house are endless.

psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:00 pm

Came home from work, grabbed the mail and saw I had a letter from the IRS. My immediate reaction was "that can't be good". Seriously, the IRS never writes to ask how things are going or to wish you well. So, expecting the worse, I opened up the letter and they have sent me a bill for understating my 2015 income by almost $6k. They are claiming I owe them over $1,500 for the sale of a stock I never heard of, never owned, and certainly never sold. TD Waterhouse sent them a statement that I had.

I'm sure this will be easy to clear up, too.

Not.

Ugh, just what I didn't need. We need to add a vomiting emoticon to this board.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

PreviousNext

Return to Free for All