It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:42 pm Advanced search

These Are A Few Of My Favorite Peeves...

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: These Are A Few Of My Favorite Peeves...

Postby pennst92 » Tue May 09, 2017 3:23 pm

Eh, I just hitch a ride with a coke mule friend of mine to wherever I need to get to.
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

Postby psu_dad » Tue May 09, 2017 5:01 pm

Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed May 10, 2017 10:16 pm

psu_dad wrote:Apparently their flights were cancelled because of a labor dispute Spirit is having with its pilots. The reaction of the passengers is understandable. I was marooned in Cleveland once when the last flight out was cancelled. I physically assaulted 20 or 30 people before the police finally subdued me with a tranquilizer dart. Seemed a reasonable response at the time. So I can relate to that melee.

Mrs psu_dad: Have you completely lost your mind?
Me: No. Not completely.

I apologize dad, Cleveland is the worst. Ohio is bad enough but Cleveland? Where did you eat, Burger King?
Carl Spackler

Postby psu_dad » Wed May 10, 2017 11:01 pm

Actually, it wasn't that bad. This was (way) back in the days then the airlines took pretty good care of you. They got me a room in a local hotel and flew me out first thing in the morning. The EXACT same thing also happened to me one time in Albuquerque, NM. That time, I stayed at a hotel right at the airport that had very good Mexican food.

On both occasions I was on the way home, so it didn't mess up my business trip.

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Wed May 17, 2017 8:59 am

When you get on a call and have a discussion and agree that you will deliver something to move a project forward ---- DO THE FREAKING WORK!

I'm a pretty easy going guy (stop laughing .... it's true). And, I stay pretty even in most all situations. It's part of what makes me effective and successful in my job. I manage a lot of negotiations and transactions and that includes managing people internally and getting them onboard with a plan and a strategy. But, the one thing that really, really pisses me off is when someone agrees to deliver something and then we get on a call a week later, they haven't delivered, and use that call to highlight they weren't clear on what the ask was. Especially after I sent mails for the past 3 days asking if you were going to deliver.

GRRRRRRRRRRR..............

I have a larger role now and I'm responsible for things moving forward and getting done. People are going to be part of the solution or identified as part of the problem. If you're busy and need more time, you need to tell me BEFORE the freaking deadline.

A few people are about to find out there's a new sheriff in town. I hate playing the heavy, but my head is on the block to deliver.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Wed May 17, 2017 9:36 am

"Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown." -- Wm Shakespeare, Henry IV, Part 2

psu_dad

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed May 17, 2017 2:26 pm

Managing people is often like pushing a chain. Personalities differ and no matter your patience you will become frustrated at times. Others typically don't live up to your work ethic therefore they don't perform at your level making frustration inevitable. To masterfully blend a diverse workforce is a thing a beauty. Deadlines often don't lend to masterful blending. Not that they are not required but they put pressure on those who either can't deal with it or those who don't care enough to follow through. Unless there is either a reward or consequence for them it is not in their interest to follow through. Everyone is motivated in different manners, to discover their motivation is your key.

Enjoy.....
Carl Spackler

Postby reincarnatedlama » Wed May 17, 2017 3:08 pm

Managing people who report to you ain't too bad - managing people who don't report to you can be a challenge. I've managed a department and yes managing people was definitely work but when people answer to you and ultimately you set their priorities and conduct their performance reviews they are motivated to achieve the goals you lay out for them. I am a project manager now and have different resources assigned to each project (and all these people have a primary functional responsibility and report to a function head). Managing resources when you have to compete for priority with their direct manager and your project may not have been included in their goals.

So B&W I hope these people are in some fashion accountable to you in terms of their goals or performance reviews - otherwise keep that key to your liquor cabinet on a chain around your neck.
Making America Great Again
reincarnatedlama

Postby Blue&White » Wed May 17, 2017 5:21 pm

So B&W I hope these people are in some fashion accountable to you in terms of their goals or performance reviews - otherwise keep that key to your liquor cabinet on a chain around your neck.

You nailed it. The problem is not the people who report to me. The problem is the people who do not.

The kicker is that this is not my deal. I don't benefit. But, I'm responsible to bring it in. Once someone gets approval for something to be done, my job is to get negotiated, contracted and approved. My team and I deal with billions of dollars in transactions, but we don't deal with any of it on Day 2. You'd think the people who actually need this done and will directly benefit would want to help out however they could. And, you would be wrong. And yet, I'm still responsible.

I can't believe I willingly took this role. WTF was I thinking?
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby reincarnatedlama » Thu May 18, 2017 8:58 am

If I am not mistaken the industry terminology for that is "ain't no ducking, you're getting a Barracking" (clearly the rhyme works better with actual word).
Making America Great Again
reincarnatedlama

Previous

Return to Free for All