It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:48 pm Advanced search

Another school shooting

Talk about everything and anything.

Another school shooting

Postby Blue&White » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:18 pm

In Oregon. Estimated 10 dead so far. I have not had 5 minutes to look at details but did see the headline.

Just awful. Can't wait for people to tell us how the problem is there weren't enough guns.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Re: Another school shooting

Postby psu_dad » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:22 pm

I predict that after weeks of Harumph-Harumph-Harumph, at least three major reforms will result from this latest shooting:

(1)
(2)
(3)
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby PSUPappy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:42 pm

They're saying the shooter discussed his plans online. Horrific.
Life is good
PSUPappy

Postby PSUPappy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:44 pm

Sheriff just said the shooter is dead.
Life is good
PSUPappy

Postby Blue&White » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:56 pm

psu_dad wrote:I predict that after weeks of Harumph-Harumph-Harumph, at least three major reforms will result from this latest shooting:

(1)
(2)
(3)

Sadly, I agree. If we couldn't get even meaningless change after Sandy Hook, no one is going to bat an eye over this.

What time does the "False Flag" alerts start going off and the tin foil hat crowd starts to claim there was no shooting and these are all "crises actors", whateverthef*ck that is.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Carl Spackler » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:00 pm

I believe that this tragedy like all others is exactly that, a tragedy. When a person goes off mentally and fantasizes murder whether for revenge, political position, mental instability, assassination, etc. murder is the result. Murder is and always will be horrifically evil.

That said here ya go: "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanlysis (1952) Siggy my man, who would have guessed? ;)
Carl Spackler

Postby Carl Spackler » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:37 pm

Not enjoying answering myself but I heard this a.m. that the Oregon shooter was targeting Christians and asked if each victim, prior to execution, if they believed in God or something akin to that, if the victim said yes he told them this won't hurt much and executed them with a point blank head shot vs those who said no, they got a shot in the leg. Apparently the shooter thinks a leg shot hurts more and is more detrimental than a head shot? AND, Oregon has universal background checks, and Umpqua Community College was the latest of "gun free zones" where victims are prohibited from the most effective means of self defense. A gun free zone provides a potential criminal with most important information they require to murder innocents, no threat of returned fire.

SO WE HAVE A HATE CRIME HERE, WHERE IS OUR PRESIDENT, THE CHAMPION OF HATE CRIMES. Willing to assign the word hate to any crime he sees fit. Yes, a gun was used, vs a machete or a bow and arrow or a hammer or a butcher knife or meat cleaver, or a car, truck, sport ute, frying pan, stun gun magnum ampere version, etc. I know I've heard that some don't believe Christians are being persecuted. World wide the Muslim religion is persecuting Christians daily. In the USA, in Oregon, a mental midget murdered several Christians all because they refused to refute their faith through lying. Those men/women had guts and the courage of their personal convictions, far more than most would and I include myself in the most as I can't say what I'd do given the same situation. When you are staring down the gun barrel held by a fiend who has just executed several others for saying they believe in God or the like identifying themselves as Christians and "experiencing fully" their heads explode in front of you may gives even the most devout person pause.

Knees jerk in unison placing new hindrances on legal and proper firearm ownership as provided in the Constitution. The criminals will still get guns, illegally and they will use them illegally, that is what criminals do. The guns will cost more as the ammunition does now after our President used a backdoor move to play the EPA minions into slamming the sole lead smelting plant on our USA soil with multi millions of dollars of NEW requirements ginned up by the EPA. Now any lead mined must be sent overseas in mineral form from what I understand for a foreign nation to smelt it into lead for ammunition obviously driving up the prices and scarcity. Supple and demand driven once again not by the free market but by the UNELECTED BUREAUCRATS in the EPA. Prohibition worked so well with alcohol, strong drugs, personal holding of gold/silver, etc. No wonder I always test out as a conservative libertarian. Do I have to change my hair style to a Rand Paul style Muppet hair piece?

When I am presented with a ban of any type that has worked in this country I'll be very surprised. Not in the current USA as we still have some liberty remaining and a system to curtail dictatorial orders and back door deals from subverting everything we stand for; Government of the people, by the people and FOR the people.

"It is the manners and spirit of a people which preserve a republic in vigor. A degeneracy in these is a canker which soon eats to the heart of its laws and constitution." —Thomas Jefferson, 1781

A degeneracy in respect for the law, constitution, common courtesy, decency, etc. I've sadly observed slowly disappearing before my eyes. Regularly cut off in traffic, money found and kept vs turned in to an authority, cheating in any manner to gain an advantage (my last boss was a champion of that one, cheat but don't get caught! thus my unemployment), all the little things that made a civilized society work better are fading away seemingly at least to me. The Pirates are competitive but the WS sets tantalizingly a shelf too high to reach! All signs of the end!!!!
Carl Spackler

Postby Blue&White » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:50 pm

Knees jerk in unison placing new hindrances on legal and proper firearm ownership as provided in the Constitution.

I can't tell if you're being deliberately ironic here.

I saw the report on the asking their religion thing. I think it's way early to determine what, if anything, religion really played into this. This guy was a maniac and who knows what his actual motivations were. I read a few things at lunch that contradicted the idea he was anti-Christian. And, I have no idea if any of that is accurate either.

As for the knee jerk comment, I disagree that the reaction to these shootings is knee jerk. It's been anything but knee jerk. We have shooting after shooting after shooting. The death toll continues to climb and we have not done one single thing about it. This is the complete and total opposite of a knee jerk reaction. One thing Obama said yesterday that I completely agree with: we've all become so numb to all this we no longer register outrage. We barely exercise shock.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby JC in Va » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:16 pm

Couple of thoughts here and I will likely surprise many who know my fiscally conservative ways:

1) The right to bear arms in the 1700's was back when the playing field was level between government, militia, and citizens. Anyone that thinks the right to bear arms is remotely tied to this today when we live in a world with tanks and laser guided missles from unmanned aircraft isn't really thinking about this clearly.

2) Implementation of anything on gun control is where this gets tricky.

3) There is pretty strong evidence that lack of social acclimation is tied to gun violence - here is a story my wife shared with me that a teacher is doing and frankly we should all be doing something similar

http://momastery.com/blog/2014/01/30/share-schools/
JC in Va

Postby psu_dad » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:44 pm

There is pretty strong evidence that lack of social acclimation is tied to gun violence

Perhaps, but there has to be something else going on.

A million years ago when I was in grade school, there were cliques ... jock cliques, rich kid cliques, cool kid cliques, stoner cliques, nerd cliques. And there were a number of kids who didn't seem to "fit in" to any clique. We all knew who they were. They mostly kept to themselves. There was also access to guns. Guns laws were very lax back then. The difference is that the kids who didn't fit in didn't express their anger/frustration by going on shooting rampages. Perhaps they fantasized about it. I don't know. But they didn't actually do it.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Next

Return to Free for All