It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:33 pm Advanced search

Movies

Talk about everything and anything.

Movies

Postby PSUPappy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:06 am

Went to see Argo yesterday. As with books, tv shows, etc, I don't often recommend movies because of different tastes we all have. I thought this one was really well done...good acting, flows smoothly, based on a true story (escapees from the American Embassy in Iran and their rescue in 1980), suspense and moments of humor). From what I understand, it takes a few liberties with the facts and underemphasizes the role of the Canadian Embassy in the extraction of the escapees, probably for production and story telling purposes...but I don't think that gets in the way of an interesting story.

It's also likely that it was compelling to me because I was around during the hostage crisis.
Life is good
PSUPappy

Re: Movies

Postby Blue&White » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:24 am

PSUPappy wrote: From what I understand, it takes a few liberties with the facts and underemphasizes the role of the Canadian Embassy in the extraction of the escapees, probably for production and story telling purposes...

Plus, heaver forbid a movie about America give credit to Canadians. :o

Thanks for the review, though. I want to see Argo and thought it looked really good. I remember the Iranian hostage crises, although I was a kid when it happened. But, I remember the failed attempt to rescue them, the daily count of how long they had been held, etc.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Shore Lion » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:36 am

Tony Mendez, the CIA operative upon whom the film is loosely based is the father-in-law of my good friend's sister. He's written a few other books that are pretty good reads as well. Also, he was a big collaborator for the Spy Museum in Washington DC if you've ever visited there. His son was the sculptor that created the statues commemorating the Baltimore Orioles six Hall of Famers that were unveiled this year. Pretty interesting family.
Shore Lion

Postby PennState03Chris » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:51 am

Saw Argo over the weekend. Would definitely recommend as well. Ben Affleck is building a nice little resume as a director - Gone Baby Gone, The Town, and now Argo.
PennState03Chris

Postby Blue&White » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:39 am

"Gone Baby Gone" was his brother, Casey Affleck
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby PennState03Chris » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:52 am

Blue&White wrote:"Gone Baby Gone" was his brother, Casey Affleck

It starred Casey, but was directed by Ben,
PennState03Chris

Postby Blue&White » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:07 am

I missed where you said "director" when I read this on my blackberry. Small screen, old eyes, etc. My bad.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:26 am

While we're on the subject, what is the deal with Canadian Bacon? It's doesn't even resemble bacon. It's a bigger travesty than Manhattan Clam Chowder.

Mrs psu_dad: Would you please stop hijacking threads?
Me: This is important.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby gmay10 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:29 am

psu_dad wrote:While we're on the subject, what is the deal with Canadian Bacon? It's doesn't even resemble bacon. It's a bigger travesty than Manhattan Clam Chowder.

I always thought that about Canadian bacon too. Leave it up to the Canadian to screw something up.

BTW- Slap Shot was on the tube a few weeks ago and I finally had my schedule clear to watch it. It was a great flick!

Since we have a 2 1/2 year old we started to have movie once a week. We just got done watching the Shrek movies- The 3 movies we watched were really good!
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby appoo » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:33 am

psu_dad wrote:While we're on the subject, what is the deal with Canadian Bacon? It's doesn't even resemble bacon. It's a bigger travesty than Manhattan Clam Chowder.

The real travesty (to people from NE) is that Pike Place Clam Chowder (Seattle) is better than anything that comes out of New England.
appoo

Next

Return to Free for All