It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:04 pm Advanced search

Movies

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: Movies

Postby gmay10 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:01 pm

Field of Dreams is his greatest movie by far. Still makes me shed a tear at the end! I thank my father for that one:)
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:15 am

The final scene kills me every time as though I'm seeing it anew.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby LioninVa » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:11 am

I agree that Field of Dreams is tops for Costner. Maybe because I grew up playing little league with my dad as coach.

I do like him in Tin Cup and For Love of the Game as well. His character in Jack Ryan; Shadow Recruit wasn't bad but many of his others are. (Not that I could do better)
LioninVa

Postby Shore Lion » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:15 am

I don't know. Bull Durham is a pretty freaking great movie.
Shore Lion

Postby LioninVa » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:21 am

I forgot about Bull Durham; that's one that will cause me to stop what I'm doing to watch!

You have to admit Robin Hood, Waterworld and Wyatt Earp weer hard to watch. Maybe 'most' was unfair, but he does have some stinkers out there.
LioninVa

Postby SouthernLion » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:15 am

Here's a little diversion from the daily Big Orange Problem discussions of late. What is everyone's 'all-time worst big-name movie?' Very subjective of course, but I'm thinking the one flick that when you saw the cast (and maybe the plot/subject material) you were psyched up for something great and, well, it ends up being nothing but a pile of emmert. My pick? The Quick and the Dead, starring DiCaprio, Hackman, S.Stone, and Crowe. Admittedly it was before some of them became stars, but this thing was so bad...
SouthernLion

Postby Blue&White » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:55 am

Q&D is a good one (meaning bad one). That movie was horrific.

For me, I'd have to say Punch Drunk Love with Adam Sandler. I'm not a huge Sandler fan but I expect to get at least a few cheap laughs from his movies. This was him trying to do a dramatic role. My wife and I knew someone who saw it and raved about it. So, we saw it. Half way through I was squirming. And, when it ended people applauded! I looked at my wife and said "I guess they are really happy it's finally over".

Btw, a movie that had a good cast, and that I expected to be horrible but surprised me was Airheads also with Sandler, as well as Brendan Frasier, Steve Buscemi, Chris Farley, Michael Mckean, Judd Nelso and Ernie Hudson. A few other names in in too. It has a fantastic cast but it just looked so incredibly stupid I passed on it when it came out. I caught it on cable a few years later and it's actually hilarious. The basic premise is a bunch of wannabe rock musicians take over a radio station so they can get their music played, and wackiness ensues. It really should be a stupid movie but the cast is so good they pull it off. Worth watching.

Btw, another Costner movie that is good despite the horrible acting of a few of the characters is Silverado. Basically, if you just put the TV on mute any time Rosanna Arquette is going to say a line, you should be ok.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:52 pm

Ishtar without a doubt is THE worst insult of a film that I have ever endured. How can you go wrong with Dustin Hoffman and Warren Beatty in the starring roles, I asked myself? DH and WB buddied up on all the talk shows to promote that stinking pile of emmert, so away to the local cinema I went only to find myself commenting aloud in disbelief that anyone had taken ownership of that disaster. Sheesh!!!!.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:40 pm

About 15 years go, they made a remake of the 1970s SciFi movie Rollerball. It was excrement. It was also a monster box office flop. It cost $70M to make and grossed 25M at the box office, which is about $24.9M too much.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:46 pm

Ghostbusters 2.

Good cast. Awful movie. It was even bad for a sequel and sequels are generally bad.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

PreviousNext

Return to Free for All