It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:47 am Advanced search

Movies

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: Movies

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:50 am

Blue&White wrote:
psu_dad wrote:Another classic Captain Renault line occurs when Major Strasser is shot and killed:
"Round up the usual suspects".

The best part of that is it's obvious that Renault and Rick know what happened, and the cops just go along with it. The movie has a lot of really funny scenes that may have been lost on audiences the first time, and that was one of them.

Something else I learned form others who watched with us - Bogey was 5'8" and Rick was over 6'. They gave Bogart boots with 5 inch heels to wear to make him taller. They almost cast Ronald Reagan in the role instead because he had the height. No offense to Reagan the actor but I think that film is ridiculous with him in it. It's impossible to say for certain, but I can't imagine it's nearly as iconic a film with him in it.

Overall, it was a great film. I think The Maltese Falcon is on the list, too, and I'll be doing that one as well.

Lama - I doubt Scarface makes the list, but we actually had a discussion about doing TBL. All the women voted "no".

Put Treasure of the Sierra Madre on that list as well. Bogey at his malevolent best. And so many great, memorable scenes. A must see.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:22 pm

PittGradPSUMad wrote:
Blue&White wrote:
psu_dad wrote:Another classic Captain Renault line occurs when Major Strasser is shot and killed:
"Round up the usual suspects".

The best part of that is it's obvious that Renault and Rick know what happened, and the cops just go along with it. The movie has a lot of really funny scenes that may have been lost on audiences the first time, and that was one of them.

Something else I learned form others who watched with us - Bogey was 5'8" and Rick was over 6'. They gave Bogart boots with 5 inch heels to wear to make him taller. They almost cast Ronald Reagan in the role instead because he had the height. No offense to Reagan the actor but I think that film is ridiculous with him in it. It's impossible to say for certain, but I can't imagine it's nearly as iconic a film with him in it.

Overall, it was a great film. I think The Maltese Falcon is on the list, too, and I'll be doing that one as well.

Lama - I doubt Scarface makes the list, but we actually had a discussion about doing TBL. All the women voted "no".

Put Treasure of the Sierra Madre on that list as well. Bogey at his malevolent best. And so many great, memorable scenes. A must see.

Mad, you beat me to The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. We don't got no stinkin badges, we don't need no stinkin badges (picked up in Blazing Saddles, a twofer) Bogey was a paranoid as they get in Sierra. He didn't trust himself, lost his head and all, really for those who didn't see the end. He was a real gangster type trip. Walter Houston or Tim Holt should have fraged him when they were battling the thugs w/ no badges.
Carl Spackler

Postby gmay10 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:24 pm

I started showing movies outside last year. My school had a bunch of pull down projector screens so I decided to "borrow" one. I took 2 inch PVC pipe and created a frame that holds the screen. I borrowed a LCD projector from school and hooked it up to my dad's receiver from the early 1970's. I have his 1970's Lafayette Receiver that hooks up to some incredible speakers (I think they are Pioneer) that can really put out some clear sound! I invited the neighborhood and set up an adult beverage table and a kid snack table. We watched ET.

I think Goonies, Karate Kid, and Back to the Future would be cool.
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:32 pm

Mad, you beat me to The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. We don't got no stinkin badges, we don't need no stinkin badges (picked up in Blazing Saddles, a twofer) Bogey was a paranoid as they get in Sierra. He didn't trust himself, lost his head and all, really for those who didn't see the end. He was a real gangster type trip. Walter Houston or Tim Holt should have fraged him when they were battling the thugs w/ no badges.[/quote]

Fragged him, yes, but they were reasonable characters while Bogey went off his nut. That movie also contains THE best, most realistic bar room fight in all cinema. I love this film and watch it once a year, enjoying it no less for each repeat showing.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:45 pm

I caught part of the Sierra a month ago on AMC I believe. Some movie network shows it at least once a year and it show up during the Oscar tribute month. Bogey got the attention as he was outright crazy paranoid and he seemed to be so in other movies. Houston and Holt had to watch their backs most of the movie. They saved his life as I remember and he still didn't trust them. He represented a segment of society who live in some secluded portion of the mental landscape not visited by the normal fraction very often. He got a pass or he was forgiven for his stupid and selfish acts so often yet never recognized it beyond the moment. I generally don't gravitate to that sort of main character but the other two make up for Bogey's selfishness and greed with human decency and kindness. That and one of the most gracious endings I've ever witnessed. Giving up treasure, back to the mountain and off to a semi happy ending.
Carl Spackler

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:34 pm

Yes, a great film on every count.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:42 pm

A musical I have always enjoyed, 1776. Took Mrs. Spackler to see it on her birthday at the Hotel DuPont in Wilmington, DE in the last 90's, the date, not Mrs. Spacklers age to make sure some smart akre doesn't beat me to that. The road show to be sure but they all had their parts down to perfection and the movie follows the Broadway stage show precisely. I love Teddy Rutledge, the South Carolina representative who absolutely shuts down John Adams when he reviews the slavery triangle trade from Boston to Africa to the Indies to Charleston, S.C. Caesar Rodney, Delaware rep. traveling back to Phila. from Dover, DE while dying of cancer to cast the deciding vote moving Delaware to the side of independence. Ben Franklin maneuvering Pennsylvania to vote yes through exposing the deciding reps. vote by his desire to maintain his anonymity in life plus many others. Other touching moments and a good review of the drama that these men participated in while laying their lives, fortunes and honor on the line to kick start the nation. I know I'm a sucker for a good historical drama and this one touches my heart in so many ways. While not exactly how it all went down it is a reasonable facsimile of our founding and the ways it impacted so many people.
Carl Spackler

Previous

Return to Free for All