It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:13 am Advanced search

2016 Baseball Season

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: 2016 Baseball Season

Postby Blue&White » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:24 am

I did too. I posted it when I woke up and saw they had won. These games go waaaay too late. And, apparently this one had a rain delay in the 9th. As for the Indians, how do you tie it up in the 9th and lose in the 10th at home?

Also, as loathe as I am to give ESPN credit for anything, this was a great commercial following the game. I saw it this morning.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:52 am

Has it really been that long since the last Butt Fumble? Seems like it happened yesterday. Perhaps it's because I've watched it 17,000,000 times.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:04 am

Did not see that coming. I bailed after the 7th believing this one was over. BTW, the plate ump was terrible once again. These guys are supposed to be the cream of the umping crop? Still resistant to idea of the computerized strike zone. Howsabout better criteria for grading umps.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:46 am

Any selection process that results in Joe West working the WS has to be terribly flawed.

And I don't think better grading will help on balls and strikes. This problem has existed for decades, but there was no proof. Now, there's proof. The automated system has totally exposed the umpires. Calling borderline strikes is guesswork for them. They simply cannot do it as consistently as a machine can. Period.

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:47 am

Btw, I really thought Madden made some awful decisions this series. Pitching Chapman with a big lead in game 6 almost came back to haunt him. Pulling Hendricks in the 5th when he was pitching well (yes, there were base runners but give him a chance) was bad enough put putting Lester in with men on base was just stupid. He got lucky in my opinion. I thought Francona out played him, but sometimes that doesn't matter. The long ball is the great managerial equalizer. You don't need to be a brilliant strategist when a guy hits one out of the part in extras.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:16 pm

I put the local sports radio knuckleheads on a couple of hours ago and they've been tearing Maddon a new one since the show started.

psu_dad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:34 pm

The better team won, but the better manager lost.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby Blue&White » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:53 pm

I think Maddon is a good manager, but I think he had several brain farts in that series.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:53 pm

I'm sure a lot of casual fans (or non-AL-League fans) may not know it, but the Indians went into the post-season with their #2 and #3 starters out with season-ending injures. It's astonishing they went to the WS, never mind game 7 of the WS.

And the Cubs players totally bailed out their manager. He'd be getting the "Grady Little" treatment today if the players hadn't pulled that game out.

psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:59 pm

Agree. The Indians were down 2 top starters and that did not get a lot of discussion. But, they were really lacking some important people. It's a bit like what happened to the Mets, but they lost their players later. It's amazing they got to a game 7 much less have a 3 - 1 lead. I can't think of anything that Francona did in that series where you look back and think "WTF was he thinking?". With Madden, there are a number of those moments. Completely agree that the Cubs players bailed him out.

I do think Madden is a good manager but he outsmarted himself this series, and he got very lucky it didn't cost him a ring. Starting Chapman with a big lead, putting Lester in with a runner on last night, etc. He got lucky.

He reminds me some of Terry Collins. Collins continually does head scratching things in his game to game management. It drives Mets fans insane. But, he took the team to the Series last year and, despite losing 75% of his infield and not having 2 of his big arms the whole season and losing 2 more down the stretch, he got to the post season and came pretty close to beating the Giants. I guess ultimately that's all that matters. Just win, baby.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

PreviousNext

Return to Free for All