It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:23 am Advanced search

2016 Baseball Season

Talk about everything and anything.

2016 Baseball Season

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:35 am

I think it's safe to say the offseason is concluded so time to start a season thread. Opening day is 3 weeks from yesterday and I am seriously jonesing for some baseball.

So, here are my annual predictions. I'm not doing entire divisions, just the highlights. Feel free to make your own.

National League
East: Mets
Central: Cubs
West: Dodgers
Wildcards: Nationals, Pirates
Hyped-up Team(s) Who Prove To Be Overrated: Arizona, Giants. Arizona made some big additions in pitching this year but I just don't think it will be enough for them. The Giants are supposed to be stronger from what I read, but I don't see how. I just don't see either of these teams making a big splash.

I left the Cardinals out of the post season but they just constantly find ways to win so who knows. On paper, their pitching staff, while good, is not good enough and their team is getting old. So, yes, I'm betting against the Cardinals this year. I think they will be over .500 though.

American League
East: Toronto
Central: Indians
West: Rangers (I'm assuming Darvish is healthy)
Wildcards: Astros, Royals
Hyped-up Team(s) Who Prove To Be Overrated: Red Sox, White Sox. I've read in a few places about how improved the Red Sox pitching is, but I don't see it. They added David Price (who is not worth nearly what they paid for him) and Craig Kimbrel to anchor the bullpen as the closer, but the rest of the staff is mostly the same slugs they went with last year who sucked. They still have Fat Panda at 3rd and moved the ultimate prima donna Hanley Ramirez to yet another position he's never played before (1st base). I just don't see it. I've also read in several places how the White Sox are going to run away with the Central. Sele is a top 10 pitcher, but that rotation gets pretty thin behind him. Frazier was a nice addition at 3rd but beyond him they don't have much. It looks like they are going to run Jimmy Rollins out as their starting short stop for pete's sake. Rollins was a great player but he is no longer an every day short stop at age 38. HIs production was awful last year and it's unlikely to get better this year.

Teams to watch who may surprise (at least me): The Rays, the Tigers, the Mariners, the Cardinals, the Diamond Backs, the Giants. The most interesting of these to me is the Rays who feature Chris "Sideshow Bob" Archer at the top of their rotation. I watched him beat the Mets last June and he has impressive stuff. I think the Rays are a poor-man's White Sox in that they have a top pitcher, some average pitchers behind him, and spotty offense and defense, but they are considerably younger than the White Sox and who knows what they can really do. They could be fun to watch this year (and, sadly, almost no one in Tampa will watch them no matter what their record).

Anyway, that's my 2016 kick off. Let the games begin and LET'S GO METS!!!!!!
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Re: 2016 Baseball Season

Postby gmay10 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:35 am

Goose Gassage needs to sit down and shut his old man mouth. I absolutely love his tirades!!
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby gmay10 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:25 pm

Has anyone on here listened to the Goose rant?? I would suspect that the people on this board would have some issues with what he is saying. I would say that is rant is borderline suspension material
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby Blue&White » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:18 am

I posted it a few days ago. And, suspended from what? He isn't employed by any MLB team. The Yankees have a long tradition of bringing old players to spring training to talk to the team and that's all this was.

As for Gossage, he's entitled to his opinions. The cursing aside, he didn't say anything new. It was no different than listening to Joe Morgan.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby PSUPappy » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:30 am

Don't remember who said it, but my favorite line from BDub's linked story on Gossage: We have so many unwritten rules in baseball that we're gonna have to write them down.

Although I'm used to the "pimping", posturing, posing, strutting and showboating at nearly every level of every sport, I'm not expecting that I'll ever accept it. That attitude is, I suppose, typical of old timers like me & simply comes from the long held opinion that over the top behavior smacks of too little humility & too much bragadoccio and self centeredness...sort of a "look at me, aren't I something?" While I can appreciate celebration, today's chest thumping norms often seem preplanned displays of self promotion. Still, that's the way it is & it won't change. It'll be interesting, as time passes, to see new creative ways players develop to top themselves, or others.

That said, some players appear to be consistent in acceptance. Bryce Harper, I believe, has been quoted about it, essentially saying its ok if a pitcher jumps off the mound with a primal scream and fist pump because Harper may get him next time.

I guess, for me, its many years of agreeing with JoePa that you should act like you've been there before.
Life is good
PSUPappy

Postby gmay10 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:01 am

Blue&White wrote:I posted it a few days ago. And, suspended from what? He isn't employed by any MLB team. The Yankees have a long tradition of bringing old players to spring training to talk to the team and that's all this was.

As for Gossage, he's entitled to his opinions. The cursing aside, he didn't say anything new. It was no different than listening to Joe Morgan.

I thought he was employed by the Yanks- my bad
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby Blue&White » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:03 am

Nope, he was just guest. And, I didn't think he said anything so awful. He did call a few guys out but they can take it. I disagree with him on the "nerds" comments, though, but he's entitled to his own opinion.

As for the bat flips, pitchers stare down hitters and hitters celebrate. I'm not a big fan of showing a guy up and these dramatic home run trots are a bit ridiculous but it's the nature of the game. Like Pappy, I prefer an "act like you've been there before" attitude, but sometimes a bat flip is warranted, like when a guy tried to hit you previously.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby gmay10 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:05 am

I will assume Joe has a lot more tact when he was talking about this kind of thing even if Joe did not swear. Goose was pretty tactless in throwing these players under the bus!
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby Blue&White » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:46 am

Goose was a little over the top for sure. He's an old man that once played baseball and no one has put a microphone in front of him for a long time. So, he decided to make what could be his last public comments something to remember him by. I think he made himself look pretty bad and the players he spoke about handled it with a whole lot more class than he did.

As for Morgan and the whole "money ball" thing, I wouldn't assume he had any more tact. Certainly when he was broadcasting he kept his language in check but some of his comments outside the broadcasting booth had every bit as much vitriol as what Gossage said. I posted a link in the "off season" thread to an article entitled something like "my encounter with an angry Joe Morgan". You should read that.

Incidentally, I just re-read "Money Ball" for the first time in 10 years. in the latest version, Lewis adds some additional information about the reaction to the book that were not included in the original release (because, how could they be). Joe Morgan had a lot to say about the whole thing and none of it was pleasant. But, that wasn't close to the low water mark. The low water mark was after the Blue Jays hired one of Bean's assistance, J.P. Ricciardi, to be their new GM and try to turn that franchise around and make it a success. A couple of reporters up in Toronto argued that the money ball philosophy was really disguised racism because, and I swear I'm not making this up, it reduced the amount of minorities on the team. See, Toronto is a diverse city and they felt they should have a team that reflects their diversity. They made this ludicrous argument despite the fact that the Toronto Blue Jays - which I'm sure you'll agree represented an incredibly small sample size as compared to the city - actually exceeded the diversity ratios of the city itself. So, after that was thrown in their face, they then made the argument that - and, again, I swear I'm not making this nonsense up - that it was racist because Jackie Robinson wouldn't have been brought up with the Dodgers if Branch Ricky had followed a money ball approach and the color barrier would not have been broken. This is ridiculous on 2 fronts. First, Jackie Robinson was a great player by money ball logic as well. Second, if the Dodgers had a different view on player and how to value their talents back in the late 1940s, then they would have found a black player who fit that model. Ricky's goal was not to break the Jackie Robinson barrier, it was to break the color barrier. He had the idea first, and the player 2nd.

The problem with Gossage and Morgan and people like them is they believe they are part of some special fraternity and people who were not part of it can't understand it or have opinions on it and, if they do, those opinions must be wrong because they were not part of the fraternity. There is no doubt that having the physical ability to play major league baseball makes you part of a very small fraternity. But, the idea that bestows upon you some hidden wisdom that no one who didn't play the game at that level can possibly fathom is demonstrably bullshit. The A's, and now other teams, have proven that. The Royals just went to back-to-back World Series, and won a championship, with a small pay roll using the exact logic promoted by Billy Bean and the A's. And, this past year they beat another team that was using money ball logic in the Mets. The problem that these teams have now is that more and more teams are embracing this and getting the kind of hidden bargains Bean used to get is proving to be a lot more difficult. For him, I suspect the worst part of that book is not the criticism - I doubt he cares - but that it got too many other front offices thinking the way he thinks.

As for the comments about the bat flips, Gossage may want to go back and watch some games from his era. His belief there was no showboating back then is also wrong. It was just different.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:17 pm

So, I had a business dinner tonight with a guy who's friends with Bobby Valentine. I said I was a big Mets fan and he started texting with him.

dad - I mentioned I had a friend who was a Red Sox fan who really wanted an autographed picture. Just PM me your address and I'll have it sent up to you.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Next

Return to Free for All