It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:48 pm Advanced search

2016-17 Baseball offseason

Talk about everything and anything.

2016-17 Baseball offseason

Postby Blue&White » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:30 pm

As far as I'm concerned, the baseball season is over and time to start dealing with the offseason.

No, I didn't expect the Mets to go far in the playoffs. Yes, I'm a little bitter about their wildcard loss to the Giants. So, I'm moving on.

So, who are the big FAs this year? I can't think of a big name pitcher that is coming up so I doubt we will see any stupid David Price or Zack Grienke break-the-bank type signings for pitchers this off season. The biggest FAs, that I can think of are:

- Wilson Ramos
- Edwin Encarnacion -I could see the Mets in this hunt, especially if they lose Cespedes
- Neil Walker -had a solid year with the Mets before he hurt his back and went out for the final 6 weeks of the season)
- Justin Turner - solid 3B/UT guy who can drive pitchers crazy. A poor man's Daniel Murphy with better fielding but less power.
- Ian Desmond -he has more value if he goes back to play shortstop, but he's not a good short stop so ..... tough to say where his biggest payday lies
- Cespedes - I think there is a good chance he's back with the Mets and they tack on another year at $25M, but we will see.
- Michael Saunders
- Colby Rasums
- Bartolo Colon - I think Big Sexy may be the best FA pitcher out there. He had 15 wins this year, a sub 4 ERA, 128Ks and he's 70 years old! I think the Mets are going to try to bring him back too but he depends on how much he wants. If he is willing to come back for the same money, it's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

It's a weak class with Cespedes really being the best bat in the mix. That's what makes me nervous. Someone may offer him stupid money for 5 or 6 years and there is no way the Mets would (or should) match that. But, I think it's going to be a far less interesting off-season FA-wise than last year. Last year I thought they were going to kill psu_dad when the Price deal was announced.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Re: 2016-17 Baseball offseason

Postby gmay10 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:26 pm

You are not allowed to start this thread! You must flail around your house for days cursing the Mets.
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby psu_dad » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:36 pm

I know you're in an agitated state of mind, but Cespedes isn't the best bat in the mix. Incarnacion is a stud. He has almost 200 HRs and over 500 RBIs in the last five years, including 42/127 this year. He displayed just moderate power in his first 7 years, then suddenly morphed into Harmon Killebrew. He probably used Arrieta's regimen of "lean meat and plants". Cespedes doesn't have numbers close to that.

Cespedes has the advantage of being younger (30 vs 33) ... assuming his birth date is accurate.

---------------------

PS - What gmay said.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby PSUPappy » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:42 pm

Nah gmay. Except for Granderson (who made a heck of a catch last night) & the front office, I don't remember much BDub cursing of the Mets. Now, he might be known for doing that about the football Giants...&, for now the baseball giants. & we of PhillieLand understand.
Life is good
PSUPappy

Postby Blue&White » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:46 pm

I question Encarcion in Citifield but I'd happily take him. As for who us better, Cespedes is younger (presumably) and can play corner outfield or (most days) a competent center field. Encarcion is only playing first. I guess it depends on your position needs (the Mets need both), but I think who is a better bat is debatable. I prefer Ces but I see the argument.

As for the Mets, I'm disappointed but they limped in. I never expected them to beat the Cubs. If their pitchers come back healthy, they should be the team to beat in 17. I'm focused on a great 17.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:48 pm

Pappy

Right now, I hate the football Giants. And, if Beckham thinks it's no fun to play in those last 2 games, he should try watching them.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:01 am

So, some early hot stove rumors.

The Yankees are making a push for a trade to the White Sox for Chris Sale. I think the Sox are probably willing to trade him but I doubt the Yankees have the players to get him. They do have the money to keep him, though. Unless someone comes up with an offer that is beyond stupid, I doubt the Sox move him prior to the start of the season and probably not until July.

I also read that wherever Cespedes ends up, it is very unlikely to be Boston. Seems that he did not like it up there and the feeling was mutual. There are some reports coming out that he did not get along with the coaching and front office staff. I can believe it. By all reports, he's gotten on very well with the Mets and his teammates all seem to like him, but he definitely does things that I can see that would grate on a front office and staff, and even other players. He has massive mental lapses during a game, he vanishes to go play golf even when he's nursing injuries that impact his play on the field (something the Mets front office had to tell him to stop doing because of the bad image it was creating) and he's a bit of a feast-or-famine kind of player. Again, the Mets seem to love him and all the players were advocating for him to come back both last year and now this year, but I can see how in a team where he was not the key to their success he can wear no nerves. I hope that means he ends up back with the Mets again but I'm not holding my breath.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:56 pm

Mets closer Jeurys Familia arrested for domestic violence. If anyone needs me, I'll be in the bathroom, sobbing.

He was recently in a MLB sponsored commercial condemning domestic violence. In the commercial, he says he is a fan of baseball and the Mets but "I'm not a fan of domestic violence". So, he's an active participant, but not a fan. Got it.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:48 am

Time to start focusing on things I have no control over but actually do care about - like baseball.

Anyway, it's post season awards time of year. Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez won "Comeback Player of the Year". There is a joke to be had there but ... too soon.

The 2016 Silver Slugger Awards have been given out. And, before anyone brings it up: yes, I realize that Murphy won one. Well deserved, too. He had an amazing year. Cespedes won one as well so that's probably going to be 2 former Mets who won SS awards in 2016.

The Hot Stove rumors are heating up too. Names that are getting kicked around as trade bait include Charlie Blackmon from the Rockies, Puig from the Dodgers (I'll be shocked if this doesn't happen), and Braun from the Brewers. There has been a rumor that a deal of Puig for Braun was already agreed prior to the end of the season but nothing has happened yet. And, rumors are very often just that .. rumors and have no validity. But, I bet both those guys are traded and I can't imagine Puig is with the Dodgers at the start of spring training. Braun could be a midseason move, though. This article lays out a bunch of players that can be on the move this off season.

Anyway, I'm on the Cespedes contract watch and that's going to consume me until probably January. I really don't think he's coming back to the Mets, but I'm keeping a vigil and hoping that he does. If it doesn't, I blame the Cubs. I knew them winning was going to cause the universe to unravel!
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby SouthernLion » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:28 pm

Phillies made the $17.2 mil offer to Hellickson, who now has 'til Monday to decide to accept or not. The front office hopes he rejects in order that a 1st-round guy in the '17 draft becomes theirs. I hope he stays, at 29 he's the perfect anchor age for a staff that is much younger and much less stable. Of course Boras wants $100 billion (or maybe trillion, I forget) spread over the next 30 years for him, so I'm guessing Hellickson rejects the Phils offer.
SouthernLion

Next

Return to Free for All