Talk about everything and anything.

Re: 2016-17 Baseball offseason

Postby gmay10 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:42 pm

He called Sixers games for years.
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby psu_dad » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:33 pm

And, baseball encourages them not to. Every park has free wifi. They put things up on the jumbotron encouraging you to take pictures of yourself and friends/family and send them in so they can end up on the jumbotron. Modern attention spans are pretty bad but baseball is actively encouraging fans to pay attention to things other than the action on the field. And then they claim it's your fault for not paying attention? How does that work?

Many years ago, only two things occurred at baseball games at Fenway: (1) baseball and (2) the occasional organ solo by the late great John Kiley. No blaring music and promos. No Kiss-Cam. No fakakta mascots. What did people do between innings? They (gasp) talked baseball. Diminished attention spans and the desire to appeal to causal fans created the Horror Show that is the modern gameday experience. I don't know that I blame MLB for this, at least not entirely. They were giving the fans (or more accurately, the customers) what they apparently wanted.

That said, I have no strong opinion on extending the nets. I wouldn't sit behind one. I'd purchase seats elsewhere. So I really don't care either way.

PS - When the nets were recently extended to the dugouts, The Red Sox gave season ticket holders affected a sneak preview and solicited their comments. The results were somewhat predictable. The older fans generally hated it. The younger fans, especially those with kids, liked it.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:05 am

I don't "blame" MLB for diminished attention spans. My only point is they are actively encouraging people to not pay attention.

As for how people feel about the nets, I still think it's more than people not paying attention. You can be paying careful attention and still not get out of the way of a screaming line drive coming right at your head. Or a broken bat helicoptering in the air. I'm not evangelical about this, and prior to seeing the statistics in that article I posted I probably leaned towards not putting up more netting, but I'm genuinely surprised by how many people are getting hit by baseballs and how many injuries there have been.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:38 am

As I said, I really have no skin in this game. For me, It's like arguing about the food service in the luxury suites. If people at Fenway in the field level box seats are willing to pay $150-200 to sit behind a net, it's no skin off my tookus.

I've sat in field-level seats on an occasion or two. I think they're somewhat over-rated. I prefer a higher vantage. I prefer not to sit in the clouds, but the first upper deck is my idea of a great seat.

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:40 am

I agree field level is overrated. I like being a little higher. One of the best seats I ever had was right behind home plate, in the 200 section in Citi field. It's a great vantage point for the game. The only thing you don't see perfectly is the ball crossing the plate (the catcher blocks that view) but you can see the ball break left or right. When I head back to Citi this summer I hope to get those same seats.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:50 am

When I was a youngster fresh out of college, one of my first assignments as a producer/lackey/videographer for a TV station was to shoot an American Legion baseball game. I set up to shoot from inside the fence on the first base side. I will never forget being focused on the batter, rolling film as he sent a foul ball screaming straight into the lens of the camera. Thank god, my reflexes were at their peak. I turned just in time as the ball hit the side of the camera which protected the side of my head. Two things stand out: 1) thank god it was a teenager at bat and not a pro, and 2) you should've been in the projection room when several of us viewed the footage for the first time....when the ball came off the bat and toward the camera, everyone hit the deck, then laughed nervously at the reaction. I always sit at a higher vantage point out of foul ball range.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:12 am

Maybe they should have assigned this girl to protect you.

Mrs psu_dad: Knock it off.
Me: What did I do now?

psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:57 am

hey Dad - I see reports that Price is expected to be out until at least May. Good thing the Sox traded for Sale in the offseason, I guess. Man, if the Red Sox can get their rotation all healthy, they can be devastating. A top 3 of Sale, Porcello and Price has to be tough. Imagine facing those 3 in a single series? That's what the Mets will be if Harvey can come back and Matz can stay healthy. In fact, the Mets have the potential for a devastating 5 man rotation, depending on injuries.

If their pitching holds up, I really expect to see the Mets and Red Sox at the top of their divisions come end of September.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:36 am

I'm no orthopedic surgeon, but I'm not buying that "just rest it" diagnosis. He had been resting it for 4 months going into the pre-season. I don't expect Price to pitch this year. I expect him to have TJ surgery in a couple of months.

With Sale to replace him, that probably makes them no worse off than last year. They should be able to make the post-season.

psu_dad

Postby reincarnatedlama » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:41 am

Dude at least you don't have to count on Ubaldo or Wade Miley when your #1 does his annual mid season stint on the DL.
Making America Great Again
reincarnatedlama

PreviousNext

Return to Free for All