It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:05 pm Advanced search

2016-17 Baseball offseason

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: 2016-17 Baseball offseason

Postby Blue&White » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:22 pm

David Wright pulled from camp and sent back to New York due to a shoulder issue. Seems he can't throw. At all. I'm putting the over/under on how many games he plays this year at 10. And, I'm taking the under. I hope I'm wrong, but even if I'm not and he can come back and play, how productive is he likely to be? You hate to see a great player fall apart like this, but it's even worse watching them try to hold on and chase former glory. At this point, Wright is a financial boat anchor for the Mets. He gets paid a ton and he's eating up a spot on the 40 man, the 25 man (for now) and he's their 2nd highest paid player. I wish he could have gotten his ring in 2015 but it didn't happen. But, it's time to face the reality that his heart is willing but his body is not.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:24 pm

From what I gather talking to people who have had a back problem, it can cause a host of other problems because you start to use other parts of your body in an "un-natural" way to compensate for your back.

And he has a serious back problem.

Is he in denial? Or is he waiting for a contract settlement that hasn't been offered?
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:13 pm

I'm pretty sure it's denial. I'm also sure the Mets have not offered him a buy-out but if he asked for one they would jump in a heartbeat. But, he's going to have to initiate that. I think a team pushing a player that way could find itself in a labor violation but, even without that, David Wright is the Face of the Franchise. Even the Wilpons are not so tone deaf they would ask Wright to pack it in.

Denial or not, I'd be shocked if he plays 50 games this year. If he continues to insist he can come back, he's going to start losing support. Mets fans love him and they are all unhappy seeing him go out like this, but at some point it's going to come off as selfish. It's not there yet, but if he really can't play this year and makes another comeback attempt in 18, I bet he loses a lot of support. We will see.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby LioninVa » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:27 pm

Hey, B-dub, did you see the play from today's Mets game where one of the minor league guys caught a bat in the dugout? I saw the video on mediate.com but haven't figured out how to link the video on my phone.
LioninVa

Postby Blue&White » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:51 pm

I saw it, yes. I'll post when I get home.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:13 pm

Forgot to post that video. Maybe later.

Hey dad - I see some suggestions that David Price may be going down with TJ surgery. That's a tough break. But, on the bright side, he gets paid no matter what.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:16 pm

It will hurt them in the regular season. It will help them in the post-season.

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:29 pm

Saw that the doctor says no surgery for Price.

I also saw that Jung Ho Kang of the Pirates had his 3rd DUI arrest since 2009. I'm not expert that that sounds like, just hear me out here, he may have a problem with alcoholism. The odds of getting caught drunk driving once are pretty much in your favor. 3 times in a reasonably short period of time is a really bad sign. And, he was caught the last time only because he crashed his car into a guardrail. He's going to kill someone at some point.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:06 pm

In other good news, Jacoby Ellsbury has been so bad for the Yankees since they signed him three years ago that they're thinking of batting him at the bottom of the lineup this season. Some are saying his seven-year deal could go down as the worst free-agent signing in Yankee history.

psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:48 pm

I don't know if it's worst in history. I don't even think it's the worst for the Yankees. After ARod opted out the new deal they gave him was worse. But, it's bad.

Go back and read the off season thread from that year and you'll see a post from me calling it ridiculous at the time. And, for the exact reason it sucks.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

PreviousNext

Return to Free for All