It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:03 pm Advanced search

2016-17 Baseball offseason

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: 2016-17 Baseball offseason

Postby Blue&White » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:04 am

3,000 years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax!"

Good for team Israel, although their qualifications for who can play on their team is reminiscent of how Adam Sandler identifies Jews in the "Chanukah" song. Ty Kelly is a quarter Jewish, not too shabby.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:15 am

Kelly attended St. Mary's HS in Stockton CA. It's one of the most prominent Mesivtas in the country.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:34 am

I think Kelly's mother is Jewish, which, under Jewish law, means he's Jewish. I just picked on the guy with the Irish last name. But, my larger point was I don't think there is a single Israeli citizen on that roster. So, what's the point? How does your country get behind a bunch of rentals?
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:06 pm

I've never understood why a country would field a national team in a sport for which their citizens have no interest. If citizens of Israel ARE interested in baseball, but just don't have the home-grown talent, then I kinda/sorta understand it. But I have no idea how much baseball interests them.

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:36 pm

Blue&White wrote:3,000 years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax!"

Good for team Israel, although their qualifications for who can play on their team is reminiscent of how Adam Sandler identifies Jews in the "Chanukah" song. Ty Kelly is a quarter Jewish, not too shabby.

Baseball and a Big Lebowski reference in one, neat package. What could me more American than that?
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:45 pm

WALTER: Saturday, Donny, is Shabbos, the Jewish day of rest. That means that I don't work, I don't drive a car, I don't f---ing ride in a car, I don't handle money, I don't turn on the oven, and I sure as shit don't f---ing roll!
DONNY: Sheesh.
WALTER:Shomer shabbos!

Walter Sobchak might be my favorite movie character of all time.

psu_dad

Postby LioninVa » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:15 pm

I saw Israel had a team playing recently, but never looked at the roster. I also saw Baltimore beat the Dominican team a few days ago; not sure If that's shows good on the Oriole's or not so much on the Dominican Republic...

The wife and I finally watched The Big Lebowski a month or so ago. Great movie, and I can't believe I never saw it before. More importantly, I understand a lot more of the stuff between _dad and Mad now!
LioninVa

Postby Blue&White » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:25 pm

psu_dad wrote:I've never understood why a country would field a national team in a sport for which their citizens have no interest.

That's the point. They didn't field a national team. They just paid a bunch of professional players from elsewhere to wear their uniforms.

It's going to be hilarious if they win. The parade in Tel Aviv will be filled with people asking "so, who are these guys?".

And, when I say "filled" I mean the dozen or so people who happen to be outside by happenstance when the parade goes by.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:36 pm

There is a Sunday morning radio show I listen in on during baseball season called "Talking Baseball with Ed Randall" (hosted, by no small coincidence, by a guy named Ed Randall.) The show normally focuses more on issues within baseball and less with the day-to-day of the season. He usually has some former players and managers on as guests and I've always enjoyed listening to it. I don't listen every Sunday and I rarely listen to the whole show but when I'm in the car I enjoy what he has to say. The show runs from March until the end of the baseball season, and then Ed takes some time off. So, it just kicked off again recently.

Anyway, I was listening this morning and the topic of discussion was safety netting and should MLB mandate increased use of netting for fan safety. They had a few people on who had been hit with baseballs or broken bats and suffered serious injuries. They also referenced this 2014 article from Bloomberg. 1,750 fans a year are hit by foul balls. I had no idea it was that many. And, when you buy a ticket to an MLB game one of the stipulations is that you assume all the risk for a ball or bat heading into the stands. But, that doesn't really absolve baseball of culpability.

I kind of shrugged off the idea of pushing for more nets, but, after reading this, I think they should protecting people up to at least the dugouts. It's easy to say "fans should be paying attention" but the reality is that they don't. And, baseball encourages them not to. Every park has free wifi. They put things up on the jumbotron encouraging you to take pictures of yourself and friends/family and send them in so they can end up on the jumbotron. Modern attention spans are pretty bad but baseball is actively encouraging fans to pay attention to things other than the action on the field. And then they claim it's your fault for not paying attention? How does that work?

And, paying attention is not a guarantee you can avoid being hit anyway. You are crammed into a seat and in those areas in the danger zone, getting out of the way is easier said than done. One of the thing baseball tracks now is "exit velocity" of a hit ball. Some of these balls are coming off the bat and well over 100 mph. If you're sitting between home plate and the dugout, and the batter is late on a fastball and sends it towards you, it's probably coming at you at a speed in excess of 90 mph. You're 50 feet away - maybe. You may be paying complete and total attention, see the ball coming and it is likely there is not a damn thing you can do about it. And, these thin handled ash bats blow apart. One of them blows apart and heads towards you, where are you supposed to go? Climb over the person to your left or right?

They should expand the netting. If that many people are getting hit, they should expand the netting to at least the seats up to the dugout, because that has to be the zone of danger. I can't believe, given the numbers, it's really a debate.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Blue&White » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:44 pm

Whatever happened to former 76ers player Steve Mix? I'll give you a hint - it's baseball related (hence me putting it in the baseball offseason thread).

I saw this story while doing my nightly perusal of Mets news and, given he played for the 76ers for a number of years, thought some you Philly sports fans may find this of interest.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

PreviousNext

Return to Free for All