It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:39 pm Advanced search

I do not objectify women

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: I do not objectify women

Postby psu_dad » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:37 pm

The "scouting report" that was recovered from email and is being widely quoted in the media actually dates from 2012. Apparently, someone ratted them out recently. The story was first broken by the Harvard Crimson (campus newspaper) but they haven't revealed their source.

Apparently, members of the women’s soccer team discussed in the “scouting report” responded to the Crimson’s articles in a joint op-ed. “We are appalled that female athletes who are told to feel empowered and proud of their abilities are so regularly reduced to a physical appearance,” they wrote.

Relax. Take a deep breath. You weren't reduced to anything. That was just the rambling of a few knuckleheads. They don't have the power to define you. I have zero doubt that some people I've known over the years have a low opinion of me for whatever reason. They doesn't reduce me to their sense of who I am. Screw them.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:51 pm

So, my wife came home and I got her up to speed. Her reaction? "Why the f*ck did they use their Harvard email address? How stupid are they?" So, she's on your side.

Her argument was that using Harvard facilities obligated Harvard to do something and if it was all done on Gmail Harvard could have shrugged it off. I'm still not convinced but it's a fair point.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:18 pm

So, she's on your side.

Clearly, you married "up". The charity of women never ceases to amaze me.

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:19 pm

I absolutely married up.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby reincarnatedlama » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:41 pm

You punish stupid behavior because it reinforces the reality of nature - that poor decisions carry consequences and good ones have rewards.

As your wife keenly pointed out - they used their University e-mail accounts - everyone here knows if they transmitted material that violated company standards (and in the Harvard case University standards) and it came to light that consequences would be meted out.
I realize they are young, impulsive and immature because they are 18-22 - but they were also smart enough to get into Harvard and could have foreseen that the administration may not see the humor.

Besides while the University serves up some righteous indignation over petty matters such as this they get a week's vacation from people wondering why tuition raise at rates three times the inflation rate at a non-profit that is gobbling up local real estate at an alarming rate while sitting on an obscenely large endowment.
Making America Great Again
reincarnatedlama

Postby gmay10 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:43 pm

One of my last comments will be that college campuses have been sweeping sexual assault crimes under the rug for years. Bdub will argue this is not related but it is totally related when it comes to the culture of colleges and our society.
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby Blue&White » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:31 am

Actually, gmay, I think past sins are a large part of what is going on here. They are heaping a load of blame on these kids to make up for all the times they did nothing. Again, these kids didn't touch anyone. They didn't grab anyone. They didn't get anyone drunk and take advantage of them. There was no physical assault of any kind. They didn't even, as far as has been reported at least, try to demean the girls they wrote about. All they did was write down and share the thoughts that every normal 18 to 22 year old has about whichever sex they are attracted to and share it with each other. That's it.

This is a "thought crime". The need to punish these kids is Orwellian. And, Harvard should be embarrassed for buckling to this type of pressure.

They won't be embarrassed, though. What they will do instead is take a victory lap and pat themselves on the back for showing everyone how enlightened they are.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:17 am

This reprehensible practice reflects a culture of male sexual entitlement, where certain norms and expectations lead some to believe that women’s bodies are for their consumption. The language used in the uncovered document objectifies women, dissecting them into body parts and rating them based on their worth as sexual objects. And this behavior has significant consequences, as it drives sexual assault and violence against women. -- Harvard Crimson Editorial Board

See? When you think of women sexually, you're basically one step away from becoming Ted Bundy. So knock it off. Fantasize about sheep instead, pervert.

psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:28 am

And this behavior has significant consequences, as it drives sexual assault and violence against women.

I'd like to see some evidence to support that. Especially considering none of these kids has been accused of sexual assault. If one had, you can be positive that would be a big part of the story.

You want to see behavior that drives violence towards women, go check out the sexually repressed societies in the middle east. It's not just women who are sexually repressed and I suspect the correlation with violence is no small coincidence.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby gmay10 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:32 am

Blue&White wrote:They didn't even, as far as has been reported at least, try to demean the girls they wrote about.

If they did not give all the girls a 10, they demeaned them. Again, this went beyond locker room talk because it was documented and then sent out to others to view.

http://lancasteronline.com/news/local/f-m-fraternity-members-apologize-for-halloween-costumes/article_b40a1bb2-a2d4-11e6-a837-937533cb6586.html This is the type of society we live in.
#Wentz4president
gmay10

PreviousNext

Return to Free for All