It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:12 pm Advanced search

Random Thoughts

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby gmay10 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:25 pm

My wife and I are currently watching the show, 13 Reasons Why, on Netflix. There are 13 episodes and we are on the 4th episode. I think every student in high school should be made to watch this series. I think everyone what it.

In a nut shell, a girls commits suicide and leaves behind 7 cassette tapes (there is a side A and B). Each cassette tape is about a person who contributed to her suicide. So far the show is absolutely brilliant and scary at the same time. The stupid 30 minute after school specials they show students are pointless because the audience has zero connection with the characters.
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby Blue&White » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:39 pm

I think every student in high school should be made to watch this series. I think everyone what it.

I don't know. I think the permanency of death is often lost on kids. They don't fully grasp it. What many of them see is the attention that the person who died gets, and they seem to lose sight of the reality that they can't enjoy it or gloat. Teen suicide can be contagious, and I think that is part of the reason why.

A kid in my son's high school killed himself a week or so ago. He was a grade ahead of my son and he didn't know him. And, I can't tell you how grateful I am for that. I had a friend kill himself my senior year in high school, a few days before I turned 18, and it was absolutely awful. It turned me into an emotional wreck. I'm perfectly happy for neither of my kids to ever have to experience that, much less in their teens, and I really have no interest in subjecting them to a fictitious version of it in the hopes they glean something positive or learn a lesson. I just don't like the message of it.

I may check it out for myself but, I don't know, I'm not sure I can sit through that. Suicide is awful. For the families, for the people left behind, it's just awful. Been there, done that, not so sure I need to watch a TV show about it.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby gmay10 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:03 pm

Blue&White wrote:I think every student in high school should be made to watch this series. I think everyone what it.

I don't know. I think the permanency of death is often lost on kids. They don't fully grasp it. What many of them see is the attention that the person who died gets, and they seem to lose sight of the reality that they can't enjoy it or gloat. Teen suicide can be contagious, and I think that is part of the reason why.

A kid in my son's high school killed himself a week or so ago. He was a grade ahead of my son and he didn't know him. And, I can't tell you how grateful I am for that. I had a friend kill himself my senior year in high school, a few days before I turned 18, and it was absolutely awful. It turned me into an emotional wreck. I'm perfectly happy for neither of my kids to ever have to experience that, much less in their teens, and I really have no interest in subjecting them to a fictitious version of it in the hopes they glean something positive or learn a lesson. I just don't like the message of it.

I may check it out for myself but, I don't know, I'm not sure I can sit through that. Suicide is awful. For the families, for the people left behind, it's just awful. Been there, done that, not so sure I need to watch a TV show about it.

BTW- I have no clue what I was trying to say with that last sentence. I was in the middle of something after school.

I agree that is might not be for most kids. My point for posting was kind of a reply to Nat. The girl in the show ended up taking her life because of things that were posted on social media (From what we have seen so far). Again, I am 4 episodes in and I have not seen one dead person and we still don't know how she killed herself. This show is more about the why it happened. Last night's episode showed a little bit more of what the parents are going through. I will also add that it is not as depressing as I am making it sound. Again, I encourage all to at least give it a try.
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby psu_dad » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:16 pm

I will also add that it is not as depressing as I am making it sound.

That's not your fault. There isn't any way possible to describe a show about a child who committed suicide and not have it appear depressing. I can't imagine watching it, but I did glance at the review of it in the WaPo a few weeks ago and it did not sound the least bit appealing to me. That's probably in part because their reviewer really hated it and didn't try to make it sound appealing. But it's mostly the subject matter.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby gmay10 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:41 pm

It got 90% on Rotten Tomatoes:) The subject is taboo. This country sucks in dealing with the mentally ill. I think times are changing but sometimes you need to have candid discussions. I just checked out suicide rates over the last 15 years and I was stunned at the stats. Adult suicide rates are climbing while people under 20 have stayed stagnant. Website: https://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby psu_dad » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:54 pm

There's a difference between a subject being taboo and criticizing someone for dramatizing it. Netflix isn't doing this as a public service. They're doing it to make a buck.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby gmay10 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:19 pm

Completely agree Dad but you can't hate everything. Everything today is about making a buck. It is how you look at things. This isn't 1965. You and I see the world 2 different ways and it is what it is:) Yes, this is entertainment, but it doesn't mean we can't take anything away from it.
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby LioninVa » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:37 am

I agree that there is most likely a lack of respect for the frailty of human life and that younger folks don't grasp the permanence of death.

I grew up in a large, catholic family with many older relatives and was an alter boy throughout school (go ahead with the jokes...), and went to many funerals as a result. My wife is from a smaller family did not attend one until she was almost 25 years old. I don't know if my experiences made me more aware of the permanence or not, or if it was just a different time and/or upbringing. Probably a bit of everything.

I have stated before that I think the prevalence of violence in movies and games is a factor and it desensitizes us too much, but it is somewhat of a joke. Then again, I can't comprehend what goes through one's mind before attempting suicide; and I know at least 4 people who succeeded in this endeavor. Obviously, it is not an easy concept or discussion to have.
LioninVa

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:14 am

I recall watching the film Bonnie and Clyde at the movies as a fourteen year old. The final scene depicts Bonnie and Clyde shot dead in a bloody hail of bullets. The scene was filmed in slow motion. I had never before witnessed such a graphic depiction of death. It made me sick to my stomach. I leaned over, expecting to call ralph on my tennies and praying that I wouldn't embarass myself in front of my friends. Flash forward to today where such brutality scene is the staple of video games, TV and film to the point where most barely flinch while watching depictions of violence. Young people especially seem to be immune to the reality of what they are witnessing. Mrs. Mad deals with troubled youth at a local high school. Two of her students were arrested this week for pistol whipping an acquaintence before shooting him in the head in an argument centered on a cellphone. Young offenders in particular seem unable to connect the act of shooting someone with a gun to the reality of its consequences. They appear to lack any semblance of humanity. I cannot comprehend what goes through their minds as they commit murder with shocking ease.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby gmay10 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:28 am

You would be surprised how many kids hide behind the computer and have no clue what is happening to the kid on the other end of the keyboard. Snapchat is a bullies paradise! It is 13 episodes which almost makes it like a book (for the kids who hate to read). Again, I realize it is entertainment but there is some great content in it. The show allows the watcher/high schoolers to empathize with the characters.

I am done talking about the show:) Sorry to hear that Mad- that sucks!!
#Wentz4president
gmay10

PreviousNext

Return to Free for All