It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:50 pm Advanced search

Random Thoughts

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu May 04, 2017 4:31 pm

About as random as you can get, even on nf.com. My urban home in the mountains of southwestern PA. A friend posted in on facebook and told me to take a look. It appears that an aerial photo company made another run up the valley. They do this periodically as I remember a farm photo from my youth. Brings back memories, apparently taken in 1969, my sophomore year in high school.

https://vintageaerial.com/photos/pennsylvania/bedford/1969/OBF/34/17
Carl Spackler

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sun May 07, 2017 10:28 am

Greetings from beautiful Bozeman, Montana. Watched youngest Mad walk the stage at Montana State yesterday. It was a bittersweet moment. Damn near cried until I remembered that we won't be sending any more semolians to the great, black hole of higher education. He is, however, thinking of doing graduate work. Still, I say GAWDAM and WHOOPEE!
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby psu_dad » Sun May 07, 2017 11:05 am

Beautiful state. I don't know If I could live there, but my wife and I drove up there many years ago when we were living in Colorado. She had a distant relative who lived in the area around Billings. It was about 7 hours from where we were. Stunning scenery.

PS - Bring me back one of those bolo ties. I think that might be a good look for me.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sun May 07, 2017 12:13 pm

psu_dad wrote:Beautiful state. I don't know If I could live there, but my wife and I drove up there many years ago when we were living in Colorado. She had a distant relative who lived in the area around Billings. It was about 7 hours from where we were. Stunning scenery.

PS - Bring me back one of those bolo ties. I think that might be a good look for me.

Yeah, a bolo tie the likes of which is worn by Bob Dylan. That would be a good look for you...especially if you had to go into the office for a day. Wonder what Mrs. Dad would say about that look.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby Blue&White » Sun May 07, 2017 1:45 pm

How did Mad jr. end up at Montana State? Kind of off the beaten path from central PA.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sun May 07, 2017 2:09 pm

They have a reputable film school. And he loves Montana. Unfortunately, he'll be moving to LA in the fall to earn a living in the film/video business. He hopes.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby Blue&White » Sun May 07, 2017 5:50 pm

I haven't bought any yard tool that has a 2 stroke engine in years. My leaf blower and my edger are both electric. There are down sides to this, but my experience with 2 stroke engines is getting the oil/gas ratio right and keeping the things running is a major pain in the rump. It's part of the reason I never bought a gas snow blower. This past winter, the one day we got that really heavy snow, my wife convinced me now is the time to invest in a gas snow blower. So, I bought one on clearance from Sears in March. I put it together but did not add any gas to it so it should be fine until I need it at some point in the future (and I bought a 4 stroke so I don't have the mixture issue). Anyway, because I took the plunge, I decided I finally need a gas edger. The electric one is just too big a pain to maneuver. So, I bought one yesterday at Sears on close out. And, guess what I discovered? You can now buy gas and oil mixed, with the exact right ratio, and with stabilizer for like $8. This is a top 10 idea. How long has this been around and I was unaware?

Whomever came up with this should have won the Nobel Prize for Making Stuff More Convenient. And, if they don't give a Nobel for that, they should.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Mon May 08, 2017 9:16 am

I haven't bought any yard tool that has a 2 stroke engine in years. My leaf blower and my edger are both electric.

Real men use a rake for leaves. And I don't need an edger. The guy who mows my lawn takes care of that.

Mrs psu_dad: Don't real men mow their own lawn?
Me: No one asked for your two cents.

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Mon May 08, 2017 9:29 am

I have roughly 5,000,000,000 trees on my property, give or take. Raking is not an option.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Mon May 08, 2017 9:49 am

As for two-stoke engines, many years ago, while in my previous home, I bought a Snapper push mower. Quality product, but the salesman convinced me to buy the 2-stoke model. I'm usually the last person on earth to listen to a salesman, but it was the first lawn mover I ever purchased and I had a moment of weakness. He said I'd never have to deal with changing the oil or replacing the oil filter.

Problem was, it was a total gas hog. Perhaps the engine needed a richer air/fuel mixture because it got its lubricant from the fuel, I don't know. I couldn't mow my entire lawn with a tank of gas. I had to re-fill it before finishing.

psu_dad

PreviousNext

Return to Free for All