It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:50 pm Advanced search

Random Thoughts

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Blue&White » Mon May 08, 2017 10:04 am

If I could buy a 4 stroke trimmer, I would. It wasn't an option. But, this premix stuff makes me not care.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Mon May 08, 2017 10:12 am

I trim the shrubs myself. And I have a lot of ginormous shrubs, some of which I have to trim from a 10-foot step ladder. I use an electric trimmer because it's light and I don't need to be dealing with a heavy gas-powered beast while standing 10-feet above the ground. But the cord is a PITA.

I'm going to look into a battery-powered trimmer when I get a chance. I've heard there have been improvements in battery-powered lawn tools.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Mon May 08, 2017 10:13 am

The batteries do not last is my only warning. That's why I no longer buy battery powered anything.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Mon May 08, 2017 10:18 am

Yeh ... that's why I need to research whether the claims I've seen about "improved" battery performance are real.

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Mon May 08, 2017 11:25 am

I once bought a battery operated trimmer. It worked great for the season but it sat for the winter and then next spring couldn't hold a charge at all. That was when I was done with battery tools.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Nittany Flier » Wed May 10, 2017 4:11 pm

I bought a Dewalt XR5 string trimmer last year. The reason is it had good reviews and used the same batteries as my Dewalt drills. I had good luck with the drills and I am having good luck with the trimmer. Battery power lasts longer than I expected and the recharge time is very short. This is the first trimmer I can say I am very satisfied with.
Still Penn State Proud
Nittany Flier

Postby psu_dad » Wed May 10, 2017 5:48 pm

I love Dewalt tools.

I did some research and discovered they have a battery-powered shrub/hedge trimmer, but it takes a larger battery (40V) than their drills. The people who bought the hedge trimmer on Amazon love it, but they said it was close to a gas-powered model in weight. Powerful, good battery life, no gas/oil to deal with, but nowhere near as light as a corded hedge trimmer.

psu_dad

Postby Carl Spackler » Wed May 10, 2017 10:08 pm

I owned a four stroke string trimmer. It finally broke and the local repair guy wouldn't touch it. I ended up with an Echo 2 stroke which is easy to start and use. I don't understand the hoo ha about mixing oil and gasoline. It's easy for a real man to do, ha a ha. I use Ams Oil 2 stroke oil which is synthetic and works great. I used to use it professionally and wouldn't think of using any other brand. It takes a ounce per gal of gasoline and as stated earlier, works great. Just changed the head of the string trimmer from a bump head to a fixed head with 12 inch long pieces of plastic trimmer line that you insert individually. I've used the trimmer two times and haven't had to replace the string. I expect it will last many times my use so it was a good buy.

I looked into battery powered equipment to a precise extent last fall. The weight benefit is lost with the battery and while some people swear by them others swear at them. I stuck with the gas powered unit. Less weight and more power than any battery model could offer. Battery units have smaller chains in saws, etc. to compensate for less power and time of use.

Just finished mowing the lawn, all 7 acres. I used less fuel with the new 3 cylinder diesel engine and the time was less too. I kept the rpm's at 2600 to 2700, not the 3200 recommended and the cut appeared to be fine. Also using "Gator" blades with serrated end sections alleged to cut better and mulch too. I don't know if that work better but the cut is great. I stripe the lawn for my viewing pleasure as long, straight lines of dark and light adjacent look great too. Tomorrow is time to commit herbicide as was today. That should be done by next week. In June I commit insecticide on the main lawn. Shrubs and roses, flowers in general get it all plus fertilizer every two weeks through the summer as long as I'm physically up to it and that varies greatly but they wait on me. I find generally that most home owners don't fertilize shrubs and flowers enough and the lawn never enough other than neophytes who over fertilize and pay the price by mowing twice a week or more plus they burn out all the carbohydrates in the turf by late June and it fades by July, ugly. Slow, even feeding is the way to go gentlemen. Just like people.
Carl Spackler

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Thu May 11, 2017 8:01 am

Sounds like Carl got his wish and bought that spankin' new tractor. My JD is still going semi-strong after a tune-up and oil change....kicked the can down the road on a new one. As far as trimmers, I am nursing my last Craftsman product....ever! It's a piece of emmert. I opted for the 12 inch string model over the bump head....what a mistake. I have to shutdown and change string every five minutes or so. Plus, I'm constantly adjusting the set screws on the carb to get the right mix. I like the sounds of the battery powered Dewalt model someone referenced.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

THE Deadly Mantis TCM @ 11:15 tonight

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu May 11, 2017 8:08 pm

The greatest syfi movie of all time, The Deadly Mantis is showing on TCM at 11:15 tonight. A notice for all syfi fans. My DVR is set for 11:15 p.m. Can't wait for the description of the DEW line radar across Canada and other technical commentary prior to the appearance of the mantis. Enjoy.
Carl Spackler

PreviousNext

Return to Free for All