It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:50 pm Advanced search

Random Thoughts

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Carl Spackler » Mon May 29, 2017 12:44 pm

As many as he wanted to, he wallet has few limits.
Carl Spackler

Postby psu_dad » Mon May 29, 2017 1:02 pm

Despite his "fall from grace", he's still fabulously wealthy. He built a $50M mansion just a few years ago and he's supposedly worth somewhere around $700-800M.

With that wealth, you have to be a complete idiot to get a DUI. You can easily afford a full-time chauffeur. What the hell is $50K and a small private room on his palatial estate to him? His investments earn that much money in one day. And there are drivers who would kill for that gig.

Mrs psu_dad: I thought you were doing yard work?
Me: I'm taking a break.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Nat@PSU » Mon May 29, 2017 2:40 pm

I'd imagine there is a substantial amount of hubris associated with being that wealthy.

It's hard to watch a man fall apart like this.
Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this clown.
:May the reign of our Dear Leader be short and inconsequential, much like his fingers."
Nat@PSU

Location: The Dystopia that used to be known as the United States of America

Postby LioninVa » Tue May 30, 2017 7:01 am

He has stated that his DUI is the result of an adverse reaction to prescribed pain meds, and in the context of the past few days discussion here, I find that quite interesting. Not specifically good or bad, but timely, if nothing else. It doesn't change the responsibility aspect if true, but it changes the discussion somewhat.
LioninVa

Postby Nat@PSU » Tue May 30, 2017 7:37 am

:May the reign of our Dear Leader be short and inconsequential, much like his fingers."
Nat@PSU

Postby psu_dad » Tue May 30, 2017 7:41 am

Classic rich-guy DUI defense. You (1) refuse to take a breathalyzer so there's no physical evidence, (2) claim it was due to meds because the authorities can't prove it wasn't, and (3) hire a $900/hr attorney.

Obviously, that doesn't prove his story was BS, but I've seen it a zillion times. And if you're a single guy driving home at 3 AM and you don't work the late shift, the overwhelming likelihood is that you were some place where adult beverages were being served.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby reincarnatedlama » Tue May 30, 2017 8:27 am

Maybe the adverse reaction to prescription meds was he mixed them with alcohol.

Before his blow up with his wife the guy was invincible on the golf course and since his game has just dropped off a cliff. Whether it is mental (fallout from his personal life), physical (injuries) or substance issues (alcohol, meds, at a time he was rumored to be juicing) or some combination of the three it's hard to say.
Making America Great Again
reincarnatedlama

Postby Nat@PSU » Tue May 30, 2017 8:40 am

I just read the Hank Haney book "The Big Miss" about Tiger Woods. I'm sure there are multiple sides to every story, but nonetheless, it provides and interesting window into the life of one of the greatest athletes of our time. If there is a single conclusion I can take from the book, the recent fallout, etc . . . is that the reality of Tiger Wood's life and the carefully crafted image of Tiger Woods the Golfer are separated by a chasm.

All that said, it's still sad to see someone unravel like this and I genuinely hope he can get things back on track.
Nat@PSU

Postby Blue&White » Tue May 30, 2017 8:56 am

If there is a single conclusion I can take from the book, the recent fallout, etc . . . is that the reality of Tiger Wood's life and the carefully crafted image of Tiger Woods the Golfer are separated by a chasm.

I'm not a golfer or a golf fan and I rarely watch it and never follow it. But, even in my non-golf bubble I've read things about Tiger Woods that are less than flattering. I get the impression that he's absolutely not the person his marketers and PR people would have you believe he is. My sense is he's a spoiled, entitled prick.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Nat@PSU » Tue May 30, 2017 9:13 am

I honestly think it is far more complex than that. I think he, in some ways as a result of his pursuit to be the best in the world and the best of all time, has had to take on personality traits that are personally damaging. It's also hard to account for the realities of how he was raised: in the spotlight from an early age, pushed by a driven father, etc . . .

I think he has some serious mental health issues and his coping mechanisms are clearly insufficient. Like I said, hope he gets the help he needs.

It seems small to add this last part, but selfishly, as a golf fan, I miss Tiger Woods the elite golfer. The game was just more fun when he was in his prime. He was a different entity than any of the phenomenally talented golfers we see on tour today. He did things people can't/don't do on a golf course. It was incredible.

Those days are clearly gone and never to return again.
Nat@PSU

PreviousNext

Return to Free for All