It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:14 am Advanced search

Random Thoughts

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Blue&White » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:01 pm

psu_dad wrote:It's great for people on the receiving end of the state's generosity. I'm on the paying end of that generosity. Surely you understand the distinction.

Of course. I just found it interesting that health care was on the list and MA was ranked so high. With Obamacare, coverage is now pretty universal, but the type of coverage, for many people, sucks. Your policy may be heavily subsidized but that's not the same as actually seeing a doctor. These high deductible plans still put the cost of care well out of the reach of a lot of people. I assumed MA had the same problem, but maybe not.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:03 pm

With Obamacare, coverage is now pretty universal, but the type of coverage, for many people, sucks.

MA doesn't have garden-variety Obamacare. It has a system more generous to those of modest income (and more of a burden to those of higher income). It pre-dates the ACA. It doesn't run afoul of the ACA because it's ACA-compliant.

Some time ago, I helped someone sign up for a plan. I was stunned by the variety of plans offered and number of available providers. I don't know what's available to people in other states, but I'd be stunned if most states had options as numerous as here. (Some certainly, but not most). Because the state gives providers license to ream people of financial means, providers haven't been opting out of the system as much as they have elsewhere. And being a fairly affluent state doesn't hurt. It gives providers more people to ream.

--------------------------

But my comment about cooties is still accurate. And there are open sewers everywhere. The entire state reeks of urine. You'd have to be out of your mind to venture north of Connecticut.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:15 pm

psu_dad wrote:It's great for people on the receiving end of the state's generosity. I'm on the paying end of that generosity. Surely you understand the distinction.

Pennsyltucky ranks 30th while New Jersey comes in at 14....that alone tells you there is something wrong with the article. On the other hand, since MA is so generous with its healthcare, and Dad so generously continues as the gift that keeps on giving, I'm thinking about moving to MA so's my healthcare needs can be met in the manner that I so richly deserve.... and be paid for by someone else.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby psu_dad » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:27 pm

Did I mention the cooties?

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:52 am

Well, this storm sucks. We got a bunch of snow overnight, but about 6 AM it warmed up and now we are getting sleet. It's melting down the snow, but turning it into an icy slush. It's supposed to keep warming up to the 40s but shoveling this crap is going to be a bee-yotch.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby LioninVa » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:04 am

Shoveling heavy, wet snow is no fun. It's worse than being out in sub-zero to move the light fluffy stuff, if I recall correctly.

Is it going to stay above freezing, or drop below overnight? If it freezes, you can have that natural Zamboni type of experience in the morning. Not fun at all.
LioninVa

Postby Blue&White » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:33 am

Well, now they are saying it won't warm up as much as hoped so it's going to be fugly out there. I'll shovel it up the best I can. I'm working from home so I'll get out there around noon and do an hour before my 1 PM call. After that, my sons have to take over (whether they like it or not).

This sucks. I don't mind snow but sleet blows chunks.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:41 pm

Enjoying one last cup of coffee before I fire up the snowblower. Normally, this is a walk in the park. But the snow is deep and wet and the wind is howling. Should be really pleasant. I just hope we don't cap it all off with a power outage.

psu_dad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:31 pm

Despite my misgivings, Mrs. Mad placed a spotlight near the sidewalk so that it shines on her stupid fake deer at night. My snowblower just ate the damn thing and smashed it unto little pieces. She believes I did it on purpose.Yeah, sure..... like I can see through eighteen inches of snow. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't smile after I saw what happened. And the war continues.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby Blue&White » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:00 pm

my wife has convinced me that I'm buying a gas blower this weekend.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

PreviousNext

Return to Free for All