It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:17 am Advanced search

Random Thoughts

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby gmay10 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:22 pm

Carl Spackler wrote:Hopped on the new JD 1025R and plowed the 130 yards of driveway & turn around pad in roughly 45 mins. Sure glad I had the rear wheels/tires filled with fluid for weight as there was no slipping without using FWD at all, sweet. We did not have the plethora of snow or wet snow you folks endured but the speed of the job and lack of exposure to the 25 mph winds at 19 degrees was welcome. Oh how I do not miss those shoveling days. Our daughter regaled Mrs. Spackler about the west Philly area and the mess there. Fortunately a passerby and his father had pity on her and used their snow blower to clear out her driveway. Her husband was stuck in Harrisburg with a foot of snow.

That is awesome!! Some day I will have that :D My wife and I were out shoveling 12 inches of snow. My wife would get pissed because she couldn't push/shovel as much snow as I could. It made me look manly and sexy. I am not going to say if it paid off ;)
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby gmay10 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:24 pm

PittGradPSUMad wrote:Well, that didn't take long. Mrs. Mad was rearranging some items in the pantry today when I heard a loud smash followed by "Uh-Oh". Seems little miss slippery fingers dropped one my jars of home-grown, home-made, hot banana peppers that I picked, sliced, diced and marinated in a special juice last September. I was really looking forward to enjoying those savory little suckers this spring...but, not to be. She said it was an accident. I don't believe in accidents. Except for the one I had yesterday with the spotlight. And the war continues.

Did you at least try one?? I would have washed it off and ate one just because. I chew on glass to toughen up my gums
#Wentz4president
gmay10

Postby Blue&White » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:25 pm

I am not going to say if it paid off ;)

Thank you.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:48 am

gmay10 wrote:
PittGradPSUMad wrote:Well, that didn't take long. Mrs. Mad was rearranging some items in the pantry today when I heard a loud smash followed by "Uh-Oh". Seems little miss slippery fingers dropped one my jars of home-grown, home-made, hot banana peppers that I picked, sliced, diced and marinated in a special juice last September. I was really looking forward to enjoying those savory little suckers this spring...but, not to be. She said it was an accident. I don't believe in accidents. Except for the one I had yesterday with the spotlight. And the war continues.

Did you at least try one?? I would have washed it off and ate one just because. I chew on glass to toughen up my gums

No, but I thought about it.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:53 am

Carl Spackler wrote:
psu_dad wrote:Your JD1025R sounds like something out of Tool Time.

If that's the model I'm thinking of, it's a beast. I wonder if it goes beep-beep-beep when Carl backs it up.

No beep beep for Carl,
Carl goes beep beep after beans.

The 1025 is a new unit as of last October. The old 445 had 19 years and over 2600 hrs. on the engine, too many for comfort and no trade value with a blown engine so Mr. & Mrs. Carl visited several sub compact tractor dealers in the area. The key benefit was an auto connecting mower deck as crawling under and dragging out a 300# deck is no longer in the cards for Carl, hasn't been for years. The JD is the only true auto connecting deck unit on the market as of last fall. The long term value of the tractor front end loader with mowing deck is excellent. We added a front plow for our driveway and the deal was struck after a long negotiation. The "R" unit has a few extras built in including a far better seat, a necessity for Carl. We will still have to modify the seat to reach a level of comfort necessary for the time spent mowing. A 60 month financing offer sweetened the deal plus financial enticements for multiple attachments.

I do have to say the plowing experience was remarkable. A totally different feel from a large garden tractor. Anyone with several acres to manage needs a larger unit to make it manageable and more enjoyable. The three cylinder diesel engine should save on fuel cost and add to longevity. Time will tell.

Thanks, Carl. After that description of the JD1025R, I'm certain I have to get one when my old JD finally poops the bed. All those attachments....it's my boyhood, playing in the dirt pile behind the house, dream come true.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby psu_dad » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:18 am

I have no use for an all-purpose tractor, but I am considering getting a rider mower when I retire.

When I first bought my current house, I had a conventional walk-behind mower. Between the mowing and bagging the clippings and schlepping the clippings to the town dump, it killed half a Saturday. One day, while I was mowing, a truck pulled up to the house across the street. Two guys wheeled out these industrial Lawnmowers From Hell. Four feet wide with a pedestal on the rear that they stood on. After 20 minutes of vroom-vroom-vroom, they're loading these beasts back onto the truck.

So I hired them. I don't like paying someone to do something I can do myself, but my free time was really scarce back then. When I retire, I'm probably going to get a rider mower and pretend I'm A.J. Foyt.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:50 am

I bought a used tractor a few years ago for $500. I have a pretty big yard and mowing with my little push mower took considerable amounts of time. The result was I didn't do it nearly as often as I needed to. My wife had to really nag me for a while to go mow the lawn, especially the backyard. With the tractor, it takes me maybe 30 minutes to do front and back, and that includes opening up the gats on the fence so I can get into the backyard and closing them up again. Edging obviously take a little longer but I do that like once a month, if even. Who cares if my edges don't look good? I sue don't. But, the tractor was well worth the $500. I've had it 4 years now and last year had to send it in for a tune up, and that cost about $100 or so. So, I've got $600 invested in this thing, total and no complaints with it.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Carl Spackler » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:24 am

Sadly mine cost a bit more than B&W's. Fortunately I was able to front over half the total from a "deal" I had worked, wink, wink, and the 60 month financing is working the rest.

It is sweet and the Mrs. wanted it for me due to my physical issues. She said the JD was the one and it was more expensive unit yet it had the best set up for my needs.

My use is for over seven acres and I realize most here do not manage that much land. Most tractor sites suggest this type tractor/mower for any property over 2.5 acres. I can see why although I got along with a garden tractor for 14 years before this new unit. Also, the Mrs. was resistant to the front end loader. In my research a tractor of this type without a FEL is like a 2 bedroom house, tough to sell. Most want the third bedroom and most desire a FEL when buying. The intrinsic value of this unit with a FEL is higher as it resale, proven. So I convinced her a FEL was necessary. Then as we were clearing up a tree line with small logs I cut earlier our pile of wood began to grow too large for the FEL to dump onto anymore. She was ready to begin another pile when Carl proceeded to lift the FEL over the tall pile and exert down pressure on the bucket hydraulic rams to smash the pile into half its former size. She was amazed and the FEL was sold justified there and then. I had done this procedure many times over the years but never in front of her. It's a great way to keep stacking wood or debris and avoiding multiple piles plus when you burn the pile it burns cleaner as it is hotter in the fire with the density of wood increased. I though it was interesting anyway. I know burning a pile of wood would bring the enviro gestapo to your door in many locations, frankly here too but most of the neighbors burn so I'm not out of line community wise.

I like the ability to use the 3pt hitch rototiller that has sat in our shed for 14 years. It came with the previous garden tractor but I saw no manageable way to use it with such a small tractor and never tried. Now I can and probably will to loosen soil and scoop it up to haul to other places on the property. More projects if/when I'm able to attempt them.

The diesel engine should be more economical to operate and will last at least twice as long as a comparable gasoline engine model.

We considered a lot of parameters and I made a spread sheet to compare the various models of JD, Yanmar, Kubota, etc. as the process moved forward to purchase. We finalized on the Kubota and the JD. The Mrs. sat on both and quickly decided the JD was the way to go. Easy peasy. Fortunately our dealer sells both models and had them sitting literally 15 feet apart.

Now the modifications.......another time.
Carl Spackler

Postby Blue&White » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:16 pm

I was visiting someone in the hospital today. At one point I went down to the cafeteria to get him some snacks. While I was waiting to pay I noticed they had a hot dog bar and a picture of a hot dog with mustard, relish, onions ..... and ketchup!

I explained to the cashier the picture was wrong and there were very sick people there and they were putting them at risk by allowing such an affront to nature. Things kind of spiraled out of control from there. Let's just say I got out before the cops started clubbing the pro-ketchup crowd like baby seals.

On a secondary point, today's visit highlighted how I don't want to spend my last days. Visiting a lonely 89 year old man at the end of his road I'm happy to do (well, not happy but you get the point ). But, seeing some of his neighbors in the ICU was really unsettling. Not the way I want to go out.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:16 pm

Blue&White wrote:I was visiting someone in the hospital today. At one point I went down to the cafeteria to get him some snacks. While I was waiting to pay I noticed they had a hot dog bar and a picture of a hot dog with mustard, relish, onions ..... and ketchup!

I explained to the cashier the picture was wrong and there were very sick people there and they were putting them at risk by allowing such an affront to nature. Things kind of spiraled out of control from there. Let's just say I got out before the cops started clubbing the pro-ketchup crowd like baby seals.

On a secondary point, today's visit highlighted how I don't want to spend my last days. Visiting a lonely 89 year old man at the end of his road I'm happy to do (well, not happy but you get the point ). But, seeing some of his neighbors in the ICU was really unsettling. Not the way I want to go out.

Despite your maniacal resistance, I feel certain that you will someday see the light.
PittGradPSUMad

PreviousNext

Return to Free for All