It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:53 am Advanced search

Random Thoughts

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:31 pm

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-klahoma, where the wind goes blah, blah blah, blah, blah ...

Do I get the part?
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby LioninVa » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:48 pm

It's hard to tell if you are on pitch, considering that this is a fairly soundless medium (except for my fat fingers slamming the keyboard), but I ma getting the feeling that, well, don't take this the wrong way, but it doesn't seem like your heart is really in it. Have you considered another line of work? This just might not be the right fit for you, _dad!

I am sure you're heartbroken!!

Seriously, for some reason typing that brought up a suppressed memory from college...As some may know (or have figured out) I was a music major and studied saxophone while at Penn State. I was maybe a little above average, but not outstanding in the crop of saxophonists while I was there but I really took to the baritone sax (the big one like Lisa Simpson plays). It just made sense to me far more than the alto or tenor. Anyway, I was working on a couple movements of a Bach Cello Suite. Yes, it was written for cello, but it really fits with the range of a bari sax so that was my project for a few weeks. My sax instructor was a cool cat, very dry and sarcastic but not mean, just kind of dark. He was very different than the other woodwind instructors; they struck me as pompus or snooty. One of them knocks on the door asking why I was bastardizing that music and my instructor told him to get lost. Before he scurried away, he replied, at least he is playing that thing like it was a musical instrument! That was the one time I saw my instructor get pissed, even if for just an instant.
LioninVa

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:16 pm

Tough way to make a living, or so I've been told.

I had a friend at my last job whose wife played violin for the Boston Pops. This was back when John Williams was the conductor. I was surprised at how little she made. She told me that some of the "principal" musicians did OK, but most had to work on the side (giving lessons or playing private functions) just to make a decent living. Plus, it was a constant struggle to fight off the competition for your job.

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby LioninVa » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:41 pm

Very true, _dad. I was running out of funding for college and my instructor, who had played sax in the US Navy Band and the Army Blues in DC, told me the services would pay me to do what I was learning at PSU. I commenced auditions with the USAF in New Jersey as my first target but they were preparing for a tour the day I auditioned and the bandmaster wasn't interested in another alto sax. The section leader sent his bass clarinet/bari player home and had me sit in with their final rehearsal on bari and told me he would hire me in a minute but the boss didn't observe the jazz rehearsal so I was Emmert out of luck (EOL?) and I ended up auditioning for, and getting excepted by, the Navy a month or so later. I know cats who work all kinds of different gigs, like you mentioned just to make ends meet. One of our guys left the navy for bigger and better pastures like the Stan Kenton Band, Maynard Ferguson's Bebop band and Tower of Power. He and a bandmate came back to give a clinic and talked about how hard it is and how diversified a sax or brass player has to be just to survive. These are guys who I see at the top of their game and they are envious of our gig because we have medical and dental coverage with a slight possibility of going to war.
LioninVa

Postby reincarnatedlama » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:43 pm

Tickets only $70-100 here in Easton dad - plus you can make side trips to Weyerbacher brewery, the childhood home of Larry Holmes and the Crayola museum. And if you're a lucky gambler you can go to Sands and the whole trip will basically be free.
Making America Great Again
reincarnatedlama

Postby Blue&White » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:28 pm

This is about to become dad's Best. Day. Ever.

"Why" you ask? Well, it's simple. It's because the life of Cher is being made into a Broadway musical!

If anyone is looking for psu_dad a year from now, he'll be center stage every night, probably sporting a souvenir authentic Cher wig on his head.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:24 pm

I don't think that's a wig. I think she has a Portuguese Water Dog draped over her head.

psu_dad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:33 pm

psu_dad wrote:OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-klahoma, where the wind goes blah, blah blah, blah, blah ...

Do I get the part?

Ummmmm.....day job.....keep it.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:40 pm

psu_dad wrote:He's coming to Boston as part of that tour. Might be fun, but at $150+ a ticket I'll probably give it a pass.

Plus, my wife isn't into Monty Python and if I drag her to that, she'll probably insist I take her to see Phantom of the Opera, which is coming to Boston right around the same time. I don't know if I have the strength to sit through that. I've never fully recovered from Cats and that was years ago.

Mrs psu_dad: Sue told me Wicked is coming, too.
Me: I've asked you to knock before coming in here.

You should do that for Mrs. Dad....she deserves it, and so do you. Especially since the Mad Woman of the 'burg dragged me to NYC this spring to see The Lion King. I survived, and you will, too. A few years ago, we spent our anniversary in NYC. I suggested Waiting For Godot....she suggested Mary Poppins. Guess which one we attended. And please...spare me your "we know who wears the pants" jokes. I much prefer to think of myself as a really good husband.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby psu_dad » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:53 pm

... she deserves it, and so do you.

I deserve it? What did I do to deserve it? Did I unknowingly run over your dog? I may very well do it, especially if she plays the "It's my birthday" card. But saying I deserve it is harsh.

I may have to clear it with my therapist first. I still have flashbacks of Mr. Mistoffelees and Rumpleteazer that awaken me in the night trembling from a cold sweat.

psu_dad

PreviousNext

Return to Free for All