It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:49 am Advanced search

Random Thoughts

Talk about everything and anything.

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Blue&White » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:43 am

You know what? That makes sense. I had it in my head that this was a government filing requirement, but it's not. It's a calculation requirement and it's for the employers, and I guess the employees, convenience. Don't know why I had overcomplicated it in my mind. Oh well.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:01 am

There was a funny bit in an otherwise forgettable movie I once saw. A teenager is excited to get his first paycheck, until he actually looks at it and sees what's left of it for him.

"FICA!? What the hell is FICA!?"
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:45 pm

psu_dad wrote:I have a question for those of you who may have recently gone through this - why don't they need him to fill out a W4?

I don't recall my sons filling out a W4 for the part-time jobs they had in high school. Their employer just deducted the "normal" amount for someone single with no dependents.

So, turns out there is another explanation for why they didn't have him fill out any paperwork. That would mean they would be acknowledging he worked there and everything was filed and legal ... and be in complete conflict with their apparent policy of just handing high school kids a wad of cash for the hours they worked each week.

I have mixed feelings about this, to be honest, but letting it go for now.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:10 pm

That takes me back. I didn't realize it was still done, other than for family members.

There was an A&W drive-in in my town when I was a kid. The kind where they hung a food tray on the driver's side window. A friend of mine got a job there when he was 14, washing dishes (glass root beer mugs, mostly). They paid him cash. It was not only "off the record", but also less than minimum wage.

He didn't care. Having a little spending money at 14 was a big deal back then.

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:35 am

He's getting minimum wage. They just aren't doing the withholdings. That's fine. It's more money for my son and better for them. My only concern is if something happens. The kid is working a deep frier. If there's an accident, what happens then? He's off the books so how does that work? I figure the odds of that are low enough that I'm not going to worry about it until it happens. The place has been there since before I moved here and I've yet to hear of a kid being maimed in a freak deep fryer accident so I'm sure it's fine.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby reincarnatedlama » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:06 am

Making America Great Again
reincarnatedlama

Postby psu_dad » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:19 am

It's not like they consume mass quantities of a non-renewable commodity, the price of which has soared. Or that their employees possess talents so uncommon (like pro athletes) that high pay is required. You don't pay someone 100-large to teach Women's Studies because you have to. You do it because you want to and you can.

They're charging these prices because Uncle Sam's college loan programs have enabled them to. They couldn't charge 20K+ when I was in college because no one had access to 20K.

psu_dad

Postby Blue&White » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:36 am

I decided quite some time ago that there is no chance either of my kid will follow dad to Penn State. And, this is exactly why. They can go to Temple and maybe live at home. Or, they can go to shudder Pitt and pay a lot less and it's a good school.

It is insane what it costs to go to college. And those numbers don't include room and board. When you add that in, you're looking at 35k.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby psu_dad » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:22 am

My son had a short list and a long list. Pitt was on his long list. Temple was originally on his long list too, but a co-worker of mine who went there didn't recommend it. He liked it, but he grew up in Philly and knew his way around. He said he couldn't recommend it to an outsider because it wasn't in the greatest of neighborhoods.

psu_dad

Postby hbendle » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:22 am

That's an understatement. Stayed with friends of friends one time, Temple students, for a concert at the Spectrum. On our way out of the apartment once, guy says "hey wait one sec". Proceeds to lead us around back of building to display needles and crack vials lying in the weeds. Also told story of getting entire contents of apartment stolen once, except for printer and sofa -- and, they defecated on the printer and wiped themselves on the sofa. On different occasion, had my car broken into staying with friends at Drexel.

Granted it's a bit better now vs. then, but there will be no Philly schools on my kids' short lists.
hbendle

PreviousNext

Return to Free for All