It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:47 pm Advanced search

Rest In Peace Dad

Talk about everything and anything.

Rest In Peace Dad

Postby pennst92 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:02 am

I hope you'll allow me the indulgence of remembering my father here - he was living history - sadly his candle extinguished yesterday at the age of 90...I always believed that as long as Joe roamed the sidelines, Dad would stick around to watch the Nittany Lions.

Dad was born Harry Elmer Eschbach on December 27, 1925. He was a member of America's 'greatest generation' who gave up a dream to play professional baseball to join the US Army Air Corps. He was a tail gunner in the B-24 Liberator, a heavy bomber, in WWII, making nearly 20 missions in the skies over Europe from 1943-1945.

He used the GI Bill to earn an accounting degree from New York University. He was a family man, with 8 kids, who worked hard, yet still found time to teach us how to play baseball, how to pray, how to brush our teeth and how to read. He used to read to us out of Cooper's 'Last of the Mohicans'...and, of course, the Bible.

All of his children have been productive members of society, each more ready to offer respect to a stranger than expect it from a stranger.

He loved my mother dearly. They celebrated their 54th anniversary some 5 days ago on November 15.

There is so much more to tell - this doesn't even come close to telling what a great guy my father was. But I do not weep, and ask that you not weep either. Rather celebrate the man, his legacy and his life, for all are worth celebrating.

I'll miss you, Pop.
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

Re: Rest In Peace Dad

Postby PittGradPSUMad » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:37 am

We have a word for men like your father...an over-used word for certain but appropriate for those who did their duty in all facets of their lives: Hero. Your pain will pass, 92, but your memories will stay strong long after these most painful days of days have passed. Your Dad and mine had a lot in common. My Dad was the radioman/gunner in the Navy's version of the Liberator and served in the South Pacific. He would have turned 91 on December 3rd. It has been twenty-one years since my Dad passed, and I think of him and miss him every day. You most certainly will, too. So yes, you can advise us to hold our tears, but you'll forgive me if a stray tear happens to cross my cheek as I consider your loss. And, selfishly, mine, for they are one and the same.
Yeah, well...you know...that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
PittGradPSUMad

Postby SouthernLion » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:02 pm

92 -
My dad will turn 90 next month, with a similar life resume as your dad's. When we raise a glass in his honor I will also remember Mr. Harry Eshbach, and many others like him, who did nothing less than answer the bell throughout their lives with their very best efforts.

You have my sincerest condolences.
SouthernLion

Postby Blue&White » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:25 pm

Very sorry for your loss, Mike. It's easy for anyone else to say he lived a good long life as a way to mitigate the feeling of loss, but that's still your father. Sincerest condolences to you and your family.

I am very fortunate. My dad is only 77 and in great health. I was able to take him to the Giants game today. He had a great time and it was a Giants win. I'm hoping I have a lot more time to do things like that with him, but I guess you never know.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby Nittany Flier » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:43 pm

Enjoy your time together. I lost my father in April and my mother in September. They were 88 and 89. In between my niece lost a newborn. Needless to say , it's been a rough year for our family. This is going to be a difficult holiday season.
Still Penn State Proud
Nittany Flier

Postby Blue&White » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:58 pm

In between my niece lost a newborn.

Uggghhhhhhh.

You expect to one day bury your parents. You never expect to bury a child. That's horrible. Really very sorry to read that, Flier.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby pennst92 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:52 pm

Thank you all of you for sharing. I am, admittedly, an emotional man, so when shit happens, I like to draw comfort from my community of friends. You've helped immensely in that regard. So again, thank you.

To Flier - I am so sorry. My Dad was 90 - how can I possibly complain when he is called home. But to lose both parents and a niece...I can't grasp your pain, only offer my sympathy & prayers.

Southern, I'll raise a glass to your father every time I raise one for mine - he's earned it!

BW - spend time with your Dad as long as you have him. I have many great memories of Shea and old Giants stadium with mine, as well as a defeat of Notre Dame to boot at Happy Valley.

Pitt - I know the version of the Liberator you're talking about. A very underappreciated 'bird' but well used and well suited to the mission it performed. I'd love to hear more about your Dad, if you're willing: falchion1969@aol.com
A good team has to have players capable of making plays...oh, wait - we're so there!
pennst92

Postby Blue&White » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:20 pm

I'm lucky that my parents are young for their age, in great health, and under an hour away. If it goes too long without us seeing them then the family and I will just meet them for dinner half way on a Sunday. That way my kids get to see their grandparents and vice-versa.

And, I love going to baseball games with my dad. Even Yankee games. I bring one or both of my son's at times, too. I'm a lucky man to have that, and I am very well aware of it.

In another thread, I'll be happy to tell you how my dad sometimes drives me crazy. Not here, though. And, even the memories of where he has driven me to extreme frustration are mostly good memories and things I can laugh at, looking back.
#Cespedespaid!
Blue&White

Postby LioninVa » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:09 am

Deepest sympathies to both of you, 92 and flier. My dad just turned 76 and is in pretty good health. I lost my mother nearly 8 years ago and not a day goes by that I don't think of her or wish I could call. I spoke to her nearly every day and talk to my dad once in a while, usually after my wife reminds me that I should call. We have a great relationship, but not one that requires constant contact, if that makes any sense... Being 500 miles away, I don't see any of my family very often, and that is a regret that I have but is a product of having served 20 years in the Navy. I agree 100% that it is good to be able to share things, good and bad, with friends and love that this NF.com community has expanded that group even if I have never actually met anyone on the other end of these interwebs.
LioninVa

Postby psu_dad » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:09 am

Sorry to hear of your dad's passing. Aside from the personal loss, it's also sad to see the passing of an era. As a child growing up, virtually all the men in my extended family were WW2 veterans. Their service was something they didn't boast of, but it was obviously of great pride to them.

They're all gone now. It's been 70 years since that war ended, so I imagine that nationally, the number of WW2 vets is dwindling to very few.
Donald Trump is a douchebag.*

* In order to avoid confusion and remain compliant with the board's Fair & Balanced requirements, the above statement shall apply to any/all posts critical of any political or otherwise public figures.
psu_dad

Next

Return to Free for All